Research activities in the area of general internal medicine also occur in the closely affiliated:
- Section of Health Services Research in the Department of Medicine
- Research Division of the Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Environmental Health Service
Research education includes federally funded Primary Care Research Fellowship.
- Section faculty have received federal, foundation and pharma funding for diverse research projects. Primary care related research is conducted in conjunction with Health Services Research and the Research Division of Family Community Medicine.
- Section members have been recognized nationally for their research/scholarly activity. Some examples involve studies on hypertension, weight management in the African-American community, and innovative domestic violence and adolescent clinical programs.
- Section members have presented their work nationally and internationally and have successfully fostered resident and student scholarly activity such that these trainees have also traveled nationally and internationally.
- Specialty care research is conducted by the Environmental Health Service.