Research activities in the area of general internal medicine also occur in the closely affiliated:
- Section of Health Services Research in the Department of Medicine
- Research Division of the Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Environmental Health Service
Research education occurs through the federally funded Primary Care Research Fellowship.
- Section faculty have received federal, foundation and industry funding for diverse research projects. Primary care-related research is conducted in conjunction with Health Services Research and the Research Division of Family Community Medicine.
- Section members have been recognized nationally for their research/scholarly activity. Some examples involve studies on hypertension, weight management in the African-American community and innovative domestic violence and adolescent clinical programs.
- Section members have presented their work nationally and internationally and have successfully fostered resident and student scholarly activity such that these trainees have also traveled nationally and internationally.
- Specialty care research is conducted by the Environmental Health Service.