Primary Care Update
A non-commercial primary care conference
The Department of Family and Community Medicine sponsored Primary Care Update, a one-day conference providing evidence-based advice in a non-commercial setting, will be held March 23, 2019.
Seven Hours of CME (one hour of ethics included)
This Live activity, Primary Care Update, with a beginning date of March 23, 2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 7.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Agenda: Primary Care Conference
7 - 7:45 a.m. - Registration and Preliminary Poster Session
7:50 - 8 a.m. - Roger Zoorob, M.D., MPH, FAAFP
Welcome and Opening Remarks
8 – 9 a.m. - Arunima Misra, M.D.
CHF: Diagnosis, Staging and Evidence-Based Updates
- Discuss heart failure, its classification and differential diagnosis
- Determine diagnostic value of tests to assess and treat heart failure
- Examine strategies for prevention of heart failure
9 – 10 a.m. - Aimee Garcia, M.D.
- Explain the basics of wound bed preparation
- Discuss management plans for commonly encountered wounds in ambulatory setting
- Review indications for different types of dressings to treat wounds
10 - 10:15 a.m. - 15 Minute Break
10:15 – 11:15 a.m. - Sahil Mittal, M.D.
Functional bowel disorders
- Discuss etiology, diagnosis and differentials of functional bowel disorders
- Explain updated management plans for primary care patients
- Analyze case based scenarios to develop familiarity with treatment strategies
11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. - Maher Karam-Hage, M.D.
Smoking cessation: Newer options and updates
- Discuss and review the biological basis of tobacco use disorder and dependence
- Describe newer treatment modalities for tobacco cessation.
- Reframe tobacco cessation education for patients
12:15 - 1 p.m. - Lunch and Poster Presentations
1 – 2 p.m. - Judy Levison, M.D.
Abnormal Cervical Cytology: What do I do next?
- Review recommendations for cytology/HPV testing and discuss exceptions
- Explain updates on next steps in following up on abnormal cytology/HPV test results
- Interpret abnormal Pap/Colposcopy/LEEP and hysterectomy in ambulatory patients
2 – 2:15 p.m. - 15 Minute Break Coffee Break
2:15 – 3:15 p.m. - Ida Orengo, M.D.
Common Skin Lesions in Primary Care
- Recognize skin lesions commonly seen in a primary care setting
- Describe and document these lesions
- Formulate strategies and discuss options for treatment of skin lesions
3:15 – 4:15 p.m. - Savitri Fedson, M.D.
End of Life Decision: Medical Facts & Patient Preferences
- Explain life-sustaining treatment & underlying ethics in advance directive documents.
- Define the types of advance directives documents under Texas Advance Directives Act.
- Identify standards and hierarchy in end-of-life decisions by surrogate decision makers.
4:15 – 4:30 p.m. - Closing Commentary and Awards