About the Center
The Recurrent Abdominal Pain Program is led by Dr. Robert Shulman, a practicing pediatric gastroenterologist at Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine. Our team consists of physicians, psychologists, nurses, study coordinators and laboratory personnel.
USDA/ARS Children's Nutrition Research Center
The Center for Pediatric Abdominal Pain Research is part of the Children's Nutrition Research Center which houses laboratories of varied disciplines, a vast array of state-of-the-art equipment, a greenhouse, observation labs and accommodations for research volunteers, a metabolic kitchen, and an elite group of scientists conducting groundbreaking research. Visit the CNRC.
The research studies we conduct are focused on abdominal pain in children that doesn't have a clear cause. We are specifically interested in:
- Studying physiological attributes such as alterations in the gastrointestinal and nervous systems
- Determining how psychological factors can affect symptoms
- Defining the contribution of genetics
- Examining the role of the immune system and inflammation
- Analyzing how bacteria may play a role in affecting symptoms
- Identifying how certain treatments may improve symptoms
Clinical Trials Currently Seeking Participants
We are currently seeking study participants for the following clinical trials - financial compensation is provided: