- Cardiothoracic Surgery (Clinic)
- Baylor Clinic 6620 Main Street Suite 1325 Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-1300
- Chief, Division of Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Circulatory Support
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Chief, Section of Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Mechanical Circulatory Support
- Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
- MD from Wuhan University Medical School
- Residency at Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center
- General Surgery
- Residency at University of Minnesota
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Board Certified
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Board Certified
- American Board of Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Redo cardiac surgery
- Heart and lung transplantation
- Ventricular assist device (VAD)
- Aortic aneurysm repair
- Robotic coronary bypass grafting surgery (“MIDCAB”)
- Complex mitral valve repair
- Minimally invasive mitral and aortic valve repair/replacement
- Minimally invasive and robotic cardiac surgery
Dr. Kenneth K. Liao is a cardiothoracic surgeon in Houston with expertise in minimally invasive and robotic cardiac surgery as well as heart transplantation. Board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Dr. Liao joins Baylor College of Medicine from the University of Minnesota, where he served as the Director of the Robotic and Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery Program and surgical director of the Heart Transplant Program.
Dr. Liao completed his general surgery residency at Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York, and trained in cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Minnesota. There he started the Robotic and Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery Programs and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) program. He specializes in adult cardiac surgery with an emphasis on minimally invasive mitral and aortic valve repair and replacement, robotic assisted coronary artery bypass, Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implantation and complex redo cardiac surgeries.
Dr. Liao is the Chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Circulatory Support at Baylor College of Medicine and the Chief of Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Mechanical Circulatory Support at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. He is a fellow in the American College of Chest Physicians and American College of Surgeons. Dr. Liao has given numerous presentations both nationally and internationally. He has participated in over 20 clinical trials as a Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator. His work in the field of valve surgery, heart transplantation and ventricular assist device has been extensively published.
- John, R., Holley, C. T., Eckman, P., Roy, S. S., Cogswell, R., Harvey, L., Shumway, S., Liao, K. "A Decade of Experience with Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices." Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Kamdar, F., John, R., Eckman, P., Colvin-Adams, M., Shumway, S. J., Liao, K. "Postcardiac transplant survival in the current era in patients receiving continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Odell, D. D., Liao, K. "Superior Vena Cava and Innominate Vein Reconstruction in Thoracic Malignancies: Double-Vein Reconstruction." Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- John, R., Kamdar, F., Eckman, P., Colvin-Adams, M., Boyle, A., Shumway, S., Joyce, L., Liao, K. "Lessons learned from experience with over 100 consecutive HeartMate II left ventricular assist devices." Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Liao, K. K. "Robotic Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting." Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- John, R., Liao, K. "Orthotopic heart transplantation." Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- John, R., Liao, K., Kamdar, F., Eckman, P., Boyle, A., Colvin-Adams, M. "Effects on pre- and posttransplant pulmonary hemodynamics in patients with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Liao, K. K., Li, X., John, R., Amatya, D. M., Joyce, L. D., Park, S. J., Bianco, R., Bolman, R. M. "Mechanical Stress: An Independent Determinant of Early Bioprosthetic Calcification in Humans." Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- John, R., Liao, K., Lietz, K., Kamdar, F., Colvin-Adams, M., Boyle, A., Miller, L., Joyce, L. "Experience with the Levitronix CentriMag circulatory support system as a bridge to decision in patients with refractory acute cardiogenic shock and multisystem organ failure." Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Liao, K. K., Miller, L., Toher, C., Ormaza, S., Herrington, C. S., Bittner, H. B., Park, S. J.. "Timing of transesophageal echocardiography in diagnosing patent foramen ovale in patients supported with left ventricular assist device." Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Harvey L, Holley C, Roy SS, Eckman P, Cogswell R, Liao K, John R. "Stroke after left ventricular assist device implantation: outcomes in the continuous-flow era." Annals of Thoracic Surg.
- Meredith IT, Dumonteil N, Blackman DJ, Tchétché D, Walters DL, Hildick-Smith D, Manoharan G, Harnek J, Worthley SG, Rioufol G, Lefèvre T, Modine T, Van Mieghem NM, Feldman T, Allocco DJ, Dawkins KD. "Repositionable percutaneous aortic valve implantation with the LOTUS valve: 30-day and 1-year outcomes in 250 high-risk surgical patients. The REPRISE IIE Trial." EuroIntervention.
- Spratt, JR, Raveendran G, Liao K, John R. "Novel percutaneous mechanical circulatory support devices and their expanding applications." Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy.
- Campos CM, van Klaveren D, Farooq V, Simonton CA, Kappetein AP, Sabik JF 3rd, Steyerberg EW, Stone GW, Serruys PW; EXCEL Trial Investigators. "Long-term forecasting and comparison of mortality in the Evaluation of the Xience Everolimus Eluting Stent vs. Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery for Effectiveness of Left Main Revascularization (EXCEL) trial: prospective validation of the SYNTAX Score II." Eur Heart J.
- Majumder K, Spratt JR, Holley CT, Roy SS, Cogswell RJ, Liao K, John R. "Impact of Postoperative Liver Dysfunction on Survival After Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation." Ann Thorac Surg.
- Stone GW, Sabik JF, Serruys PW, Simonton CA, Généreux P, Puskas J, Kandzari DE, Morice MC, Lembo N, Brown WM 3rd, Taggart DP, Banning A, Merkely B, Horkay F, Boonstra PW, van Boven AJ, Ungi I, Bogáts G, Mansour S, et al ; EXCEL Trial Investigators. "Everolimus-Eluting Stents or Bypass Surgery for Left Main Coronary Artery Disease." N Engl J Med.
- Feldman TE, Reardon MJ, Rajagopal V, Makkar RR, Bajwa TK, Kleiman NS, Linke A, Kereiakes DJ, Waksman R, Thourani VH, Stoler RC, Mishkel GJ, Rizik DG, Iyer VS, Gleason TG, Tchétché D, Rovin JD, Buchbinder M, Meredith IT, Götberg M, et al. "Effect of Mechanically Expanded vs Self-Expanding Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement on Mortality and Major Adverse Clinical Events in High-Risk Patients With Aortic Stenosis: The REPRISE III Randomized Clinical Trial." JAMA.
- Zhang L, Guo J, Zhang P, Xiong Q, Wu SC, Xia L, Roy SS, Tolar J, O'Connell TD, Kyba M, Liao K, Zhang J. "Derivation and high engraftment of patient-specific cardiomyocyte sheet using induced pluripotent stem cells generated from adult cardiac fibroblast." Circulation: Heart Failure.
- Koene, R. J., Liao, K. K., Eckman, P. M., John, R. "Anastomosis of the outflow cannula to the descending aorta in a HeartWare left ventricular assist device." Journal of Cardiology Cases.
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- American Heart Association
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
- AC. Walton and Richard C. Lillehei Surgical Society