- Alkek Building for Biomedical Research R550 Houston, Texas 77030 United States
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Division of General Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Training at Baylor College of Medicine
- Drug Delivery
- PhD from Purdue University
- Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical engineering
Crystal Shin is an assistant professor in the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. She earned her Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics from Purdue University. Her research focused on the development of in vitro 3D tumor models using biopolymer scaffolds as tools to evaluate the cytotoxicity of anticancer drugs. Crystal then joined the Department of Ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine as a postdoctoral associate. During this time she developed a novel ocular drug delivery system, nanowafer. Her current research interests focus on developing broadly applicable drug delivery systems with enhanced therapeutic efficacy by integrating nanotechnology and 3D bioprinting technology.
- Shin CS, Marcano DC, Park K, Acharya G.. "Application of Hydrogel Template Strategy in Ocular Drug Delivery." Methods Mol Biol. Pubmed PMID: 28238144
- Marcano DC, Shin CS, Lee B, Isenhart LC, Liu X, Li F, Jester JV, Pflugfelder SC, Simpson J, Acharya G. "Synergistic Cysteamine Delivery Nanowafer as an Efficacious Treatment Modality for Corneal Cystinosis." Mol Pharm. Pubmed PMID: 27571217
- Bian F, Shin CS, Wang C, Pflugfelder SC, Acharya G, De Paiva CS. "Dexamethasone Drug Eluting Nanowafers Control Inflammation in Alkali-Burned Corneas Associated With Dry Eye." Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. Pubmed PMID: 27327581
- Coursey TG, Henriksson JT, Marcano DC, Shin CS, Isenhart LC, Ahmed F, De Paiva CS, Pflugfelder SC, Acharya G. "Dexamethasone nanowafer as an effective therapy for dry eye disease." J Control Release. Pubmed PMID: 26184051
- Yuan X, Marcano DC, Shin CS, Hua X, Isenhart LC, Pflugfelder SC, Acharya G. "Ocular drug delivery nanowafer with enhanced therapeutic efficacy." ACS Nano. Pubmed PMID: 25585134
- Kwak B, Ozcelikkale A, Shin CS, Park K, Han B. "Simulation of complex transport of nanoparticles around a tumor using tumor-microenvironment-on-chip." J Control Release.
- Shin CS, Kwak B, Han B, Park K. "Development of an in vitro 3D tumor model to study therapeutic efficiency of an anticancer drug." Mol Pharm.
- Acharya G, Shin CS, Vedantham K, McDermott M, Rish T, Hansen K, Fu Y, Park K. "A study of drug release from homogeneous PLGA microstructures." J Control Release. Pubmed PMID: 20381555
- Acharya G, Shin CS, McDermott M, Mishra H, Park H, Kwon IC, Park K. "The hydrogel template method for fabrication of homogeneous nano/microparticles." J Control Release. Pubmed PMID: 19822178