- Assistant Professor
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
- Neurosensory Center (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
- Jamail Specialty Care Center (Clinic)
1977 Butler Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
- MD-PhD from University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 05/2008 - Pittsburgh, United States
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
- 06/2015 - Houston, Texas United States
- Clinical Fellowship at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Head and Neck Surgery
- 06/2016 - Houston, Texas United States
- American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Laryngeal and pharyngeal cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Salivary gland neoplasm
- Advanced skin cancer
Professional StatementVlad C. Sandulache MD, PhD is a board certified otolaryngologist specializing in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology. Dr. Sandulache earned his MD and PhD from the University of Pittsburgh, and completed his residency in Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. Following residency, Dr. Sandulache completed a clinical fellowship in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center where he received advanced training in minimally invasive surgical techniques for pharyngeal and laryngeal malignancies including transoral robotic surgery (TORS) and transoral laser surgery.
Dr. Sandulache utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to the management of patients with head and neck cancer with active participation in both surgical and non-surgical clinical trials. His primary clinical expertise is in the management of early and advanced stage oropharyngeal and laryngeal cancer, salivary gland neoplasms and poorly differentiated and anaplastic thyroid carcinoma.
Dr. Sandulache maintains an active basic science and clinical research program focused on elucidating the link between cancer metabolism and treatment effectiveness. The goal of this research program is to develop personalized treatment strategies based on tumor genomic information and metabolic response to conventional and targeted treatment strategies. One application of this approach currently underway is development of more effective treatments for poorly differentiated and anaplastic thyroid carcinoma.
- Richardson PA, Kansara S, Chen GG, Sabichi A, Sikora AG, Parke RB, Donovan DT, Chiao E, Sandulache VC. "Treatment Patterns in Veterans with Laryngeal and Oropharyngeal Cancer and Impact on Survival.." Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol. 2018 August 9; 4 (3): Pubmed PMID: 30186958
- Tam S, Sandulache VC, Metwalli KA, Rock CD, Eraj SA, Sheu T, El-Naggar AK, Fuller CD, Weber RS, Lai SY. "Incompletely treated malignancies of the major salivary gland: Toward evidence-based care.." Head Neck. 2018 August ; 40 (8): 1630-1638. Pubmed PMID: 29734482
- Yu W, Chen Y, Dubrulle J, Stossi F, Putluri V, Sreekumar A, Putluri N, Baluya D, Lai SY, Sandulache VC. "Cisplatin generates oxidative stress which is accompanied by rapid shifts in central carbon metabolism.." Sci Rep. 2018 March 9; 8 (1): 4306. Pubmed PMID: 29523854
- Sandulache VC, Michikawa C, Kataria P, Gleber-Netto FO, Bell D, Trivedi S, Rao X, Wang J, Zhao M, Jasser S, Myers JN, Pickering CR. "High-Risk TP53 Mutations Are Associated with Extranodal Extension in Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma.." Clin Cancer Res. 2018 April 1; 24 (7): 1727-1733. Pubmed PMID: 29330202
- Krupar R, Hautmann MG, Pathak RR, Varier I, McLaren C, Gaag D, Hellerbrand C, Evert M, Laban S, Idel C, Sandulache V, Perner S, Bosserhoff AK, Sikora AG. "Immunometabolic Determinants of Chemoradiotherapy Response and Survival in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.." Am J Pathol. 2018 January ; 188 (1): 72-83. Pubmed PMID: 29107073
- Rao SN, Zafereo M, Dadu R, Busaidy NL, Hess K, Cote GJ, Williams MD, William WN, Sandulache V, Gross N, Gunn GB, Lu C, Ferrarotto R, Lai SY, Cabanillas ME. "Patterns of Treatment Failure in Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma.." Thyroid. 2017 May ; 27 (5): 672-681. Pubmed PMID: 28068873
- Pezzi TA, Mohamed ASR, Sheu T, Blanchard P, Sandulache VC, Lai SY, Cabanillas ME, Williams MD, Pezzi CM, Lu C, Garden AS, Morrison WH, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD, Gunn GB. "Radiation therapy dose is associated with improved survival for unresected anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: Outcomes from the National Cancer Data Base.." Cancer. 2017 May 1; 123 (9): 1653-1661. Pubmed PMID: 28026871
- Sandulache VC, Williams MD, Lai SY, Lu C, William WN, Busaidy NL, Cote GJ, Singh RR, Luthra R, Cabanillas ME. "Real-Time Genomic Characterization Utilizing Circulating Cell-Free DNA in Patients with Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma.." Thyroid. 2017 January ; 27 (1): 81-87. Pubmed PMID: 27785980
- Wangjie Yu, Yunyun Chen, Nagireddy Putluri, Cristian Coarfa, Matthew Robertson, Vasanta Putluri, Fabio Stossi, Julien Dubrulle, Michael Mancini, Jonathan Pang, Trung Nguyen, Dodge Baluya, Jeffrey Myers, Stephen Lai, Vlad Sandulache "Acquisition of Cisplatin Resistance Shifts Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Metabolism toward Neutralization of Oxidative Stress." Cancer (Basel). 2020 June 24; 12 (6): 1670.
- Mitchell Frederick, Heath D Skinner, Sawad A Kazi, Andrew G Sikora, Vlad C Sandulache "High expression of oxidative phosphorylation genes predicts improved survival in squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck and lung." 2020 April 14; 10 (1): 6380.
- J O Kemnade, H Elhalawani, P Castro, J Yu, S Lai, M Ittmann, A S R Mohamed, S Y Lai, C D Fuller, A G Sikora, V C Sandulache "CD8 infiltration is associated with disease control and tobacco exposure in intermediate-risk oropharyngeal cancer." 2020 January 14; 10 (1): 243.
- V Sandulache, Y Lei, L Heasley, M Chang, C Amos, E Sturgis, E Graboyes, E Chiao, N Rogus-Pulia, J Lewis, A Madabhushi, M Frederick, A Sabichi, M Ittmann, W Yarbrough, C Chung, R Ferrarotto, W Mai, H Skinner, U Duvvuri, P Gerngross, A Sikora "Innovations in risk-stratification and treatment of Veterans with oropharynx cancer; roadmap of the 2019 Field Based Meeting." 2020 March ; 102 : 104440.
- American Head and Neck Society
- Member (06/2015)
Log In to edit your profile