- Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Office)
Office: MEDVAMC 5A-338
Houston, TX 77030
- BS from Oregon State University
- Corvallis, Oregon United States
- MD from Oregon Health and Sciences University, School of Medicine
- Portland, Oregon United States
- MHSc from Yale University, School of Medicine
- New Haven, Connecticut United States
- Board Certified, General Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
Honors & Awards
- Baylor College of Medicine Women of Excellence Award
- Aspen Institute Health Innovator
- Modern Healthcare Magazine Top Minority Executives to Watch in Healthcare Award
- President George H. W. Bush’s Daily Points of Light Award
- President George H. W. Bush’s Points of Light Foundation named Dr. Kuy a 2018 "Daily Point of Light".
- American College of Surgeons “Mary Edwards Walker Inspiring Women in Surgery” Award
- Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Medicine Alumni Early Career Achievement Award
- Presidential Leadership Scholar
- L’Oréal Paris Women of Worth
- Business Report’s 2016 “Forty under 40” Award
- Ford Family Foundation Gerald E. Bruce Community Service Award
- American College of Surgeons Health Policy Scholar
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar
- 07/2007 - 06/2009
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (Robotic and Laparoscopic)
- Inguinal Hernias and Ventral Hernias
- Colorectal Surgery
- Acute Care Surgery
Professional StatementSreyRam Kuy, MD, MHS, FACS is a practicing general surgeon, healthcare executive and quality improvement researcher. She currently serves as Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Quality and Safety for VISN 16.
Dr. Kuy previously served as Deputy Under Secretary for Community Care for the US Department of Veterans Affairs, overseeing 7,300 staff and a $14.5 Billion budget, working to ensure access to quality healthcare in the community for the 9 million veterans VA serves. She also served as Special Advisor to the VA Secretary, working on healthcare quality and health policy.
Dr. Kuy served as Louisiana Medicaid's Chief Medical Officer, working to improve healthcare for 1.6 million children, pregnant women, disabled and indigent patients in a $10.7 billion system. During her tenure as Chief Medical Officer at Louisiana Medicaid, Dr. Kuy instituted quality performance metrics, payment reform and led state-wide initiatives tackling the opioid crisis resulting in a 40% reduction in opioids among Medicaid patients through policies aligning opioid prescribing with CDC guidelines, a state-wide naloxone standing order and creation of educational webinars, symposiums and online resources for patients and providers.
She is the recipient of the American College of Surgeons “Mary Edwards Walker Inspiring Women in Surgery Award”, President George H. W. Bush’s “Daily Point of Light Award”, Oregon Health and Sciences University “Early Career Achievement Alumni Award” for her work to improve healthcare for low income Medicaid women, L’Oréal Paris’ “Women of Worth” honor for her community service supporting veterans, RandomActs.org’s “Caught in the Act” public service award, Business Report’s 40 Under 40 Award for her efforts to increase healthcare access for Medicaid patients, Ford Family Foundation’s “Gerald E. Bruce Award” for her work to improve healthcare quality and access for veterans and was named by Modern Healthcare as one of the top “Minority Healthcare Executives to Watch”.
Dr. Kuy is a former Presidential Leadership Scholar, a bipartisan leadership program taught by Presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George H. W. Bush; Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar at Yale; Kaiser Family Foundation Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholar in the US Senate; an American College of Surgeons Health Policy Scholar, an Eisenhower Fellow and an Aspen Institute Health Innovator.
She was appointed by the American Medical Association as a voting Board Member on the National Board of Medical Examiners, appointed by the Federation of State Medical Boards as a representative to the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education's Accreditation Review Committee and has served on National Quality Forum committees on quality metrics, opioids and Medicaid and on AcademyHealth's committee on state health policy.
She has published widely on quality, safety and health policy in NEJM Catalyst, JAMA Open, JAMA Surgery, is the author of the textbook 50 Studies Every Surgeon Should Know (Oxford University Press) and has written for the lay public in the Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, USA Today, Salon and Huffington Post.
Dr. Kuy completed her medical degree at Oregon Health and Sciences University and her master’s degree at Yale University.
Dr. Kuy was interviewed by the New York Times' Margot Sanger-Katz about the COVID-19 pandemic, how to protect patients and healthcare staff and the need for testing.
Dr. Kuy was named in 2018 one of the top minority healthcare executives to watch in the country by Modern Healthcare Magazine.
President George H. W. Bush’s Points of Light Foundation named Dr. Kuy a 2018 "Daily Point of Light".
The American College of Surgeons presented the Dr. Mary Edwards Walker Inspiring Women in Surgery Award to Dr. SreyRam Kuy. This award is presented annually at the ACS Clinical Congress in recognition of an individual’s significant contributions to the advancement of women in the field of surgery. "Dr. Kuy’s career embodies the spirit of the award and demonstrates her personal determination, professional excellence, and commitment to public service", stated ACS President Courtney M. Townsend, Jr., MD.
Dr. Kuy was awarded Business Report's Forty Under 40 Award for her work as Chief Medical Officer of Medicaid. As Medicaid CMO, Kuy helped Louisiana become the first state to develop a Zika prevention strategy for Medicaid patients and enabled women with breast cancer access through Louisiana Medicaid to contralateral breast reconstruction.
Dr. Kuy was presented with the Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Medicine Alumni Early Career Achievement Award, in recognition of her work as Medicaid CMO to improve healthcare access and quality for low income pregnant women and children.
Dr. Kuy was profiled in Yale Medicine Magazine for her work leading the VA as Deputy Under Secretary for Health and as Chief Medical Officer for Louisiana Medicaid.
The Healthcare Journal of New Orleans interviewed Dr. Kuy about her work to improve healthcare quality and access. As Medicaid CMO, Dr. Kuy developed statewide health performance metrics, pay for performance incentives, and established novel Medicaid Expansion Early Wins measures, which enabled assessment of how access to healthcare directly impacts lives.
The Aspen Institute named Dr. Kuy one of twenty one Health Innovators, a group of senior health care leaders chosen to develop new approaches to improve the health and wellbeing of Americans.
Dr. SreyRam Kuy was awarded the L’Oréal Paris Women of Worth honor, presented by Fox News' Dana Perino. Each year L’Oréal Paris recognizes and celebrates Women of Worth who make a beautiful difference in their communities, and each are awarded a $10,000 grant.
- SreyRam Kuy, Rohit Gupta, Ricardo Correa, Raymond Tsai, Sameer Vohra "Best Practices for a Covid-19 Preparedness Plan for Health Systems." New England Journal of Medicine Catalyst. 2020 April ; :
- Penn M, Bhatnagar S, Kuy S, et al. "Comparison of Wait Times for New Patients Between the Private Sector and United States Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers." JAMA Network Open. 2019 January 4; 2 : Pubmed PMID: 30657532
- Kuy S, Romero RAL "Decreasing 30-day surgical mortality in a VA Medical Center utilizing the ACS NSQIP Surgical Risk Calculator." Journal of Surgical Research. 2017 July ; 215 (28-33): Pubmed PMID: 28688658
- SreyRam Kuy, Rohit Gupta, Cayla Roy, Samir Awad "Incidence of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections With Compliance With Preventive Guidelines." JAMA Surgery. 2020 April ; :
- Kuy S, Seabrook GR, Rossi PJ, et al. "Management of carotid stenosis in women." JAMA Surgery. 2013 August ; 148 (8): 788-90. Pubmed PMID: 23804123
- Kuy S, Tsai R, Bhatt J, Chu Q, Gandhi P, Gupta R, Gupta R, Hole M, Hsu B, Hughes L, Jarvis L, Jha S, Annamalai A, Kotwal M, Sakran J, Vohra S, Henry T, Correa R "Focusing on Vulnerable Populations during COVID19." Academic Medicine. 2020 :
- Kuy S "Walking with the Wind: A Surgeon Remembers John Lewis." New England Journal of Medicine Catalyst. 2020 August 13; :
- Gee RE, Kuy S, Karas LO. "Progesterone for Prevention of Preterm Birth: Shortcomings and Unintended Consequences of the Orphan Drug Act." Obstet Gynecol. 2017 December ; 130 (6): 1202-1206. Pubmed PMID: 29112651
- Eskander MF, Neuwirth MG, Kuy S, et al. "Technology for teaching: New tools for 21st century surgeons." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2016 August ; 101 (8): 36-42. Pubmed PMID: 28941430
- Koo K, Sangji NF, Kuy S, et al. "The ACS and advocacy: A tradition of protecting our patients and advancing our profession." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2016 August ; 101 (8): 30-35. Pubmed PMID: 28941429
- Kuy S, Romero RAL "Eliminating Critical Incident Tracking Network Patient Safety Events at a Veterans Affairs Institution Through Crew Resource Management Training." Am J Med Qual. 2017 September ; 32 (5): 480-484. Pubmed PMID: 28862030
- Kuy S, Romero RAL "Improving staff perception of a safety climate with crew resource management training." J Surg Res. 2017 June ; 213 : 177-183. Pubmed PMID: 28601312
- Kuy S "Rapidly Growing, Bleeding Mass on a Golfer's Back." JAMA Surgery. 2017 January ; 152 (1): 101-102. Pubmed PMID: 27851850
- Kuy S, Romero RA, Vincent L, Rose K "Images: perineal pain and malodorous drainage in a patient with rectal cancer." BMJ Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2017 January ; 93 (1095): 51-52. Pubmed PMID: 27354548
- Kuy S, Romero RA, Kuy S "Gas Gangrene of the Diabetic Foot." J La State Med Soc. 2015 September ; 167 (5): 213-214. Pubmed PMID: 27159595
- Kuy S "Carotid Body Tumor." J La State Med Soc. 2015 July ; 167 (4): 165. Pubmed PMID: 27159508
- Kuy S, Dua A, Rieland J, et al. "Cavernous transformation of the portal vein." Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2016 February ; 63 (2): 529. Pubmed PMID: 26804220
- Kuy S, Jenkins P, Romero RA, et al. "Increasing Incidence of and Increased Mortality Associated With Clostridium difficile-Associated Megacolon." JAMA Surgery. 2016 January ; 151 (1): 85-86. Pubmed PMID: 26445319
- Ogunleye AA, Bliss LA, Kuy S, et al. "Political advocacy in surgery: The case for individual engagement." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2015 August ; 100 (8): 40-44. Pubmed PMID: 26419054
- Busch KM, Keshava H, Kuy S, et al. "Teaching in the OR: New lessons for training surgical residents." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2015 August ; 100 (8): 29-34. Pubmed PMID: 26419052
- Dua A, Kuy S, Desai SS, et al. "Diagnosis and management of a ruptured popliteal mycotic pseudoaneurysm." Vascular. 2015 August ; 23 (4): 419-421. Pubmed PMID: 25245048
- Dua A, Dua A, Jechow S, Desai SS, Kuy S "Idiopathic spontaneous rupture of an intercostal artery." Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2014 June ; 113 (3): 116-118. Pubmed PMID: 25118440
- Kuy S, Dua A, Chappidi R, et al. "The increasing incidence of thromboembolic events among hospitalized patients with inflammatory bowel disease." Vascular. 2015 June ; 23 (3): 260-264. Pubmed PMID: 24986868
- Kuy S, Juern J, Weigelt JA "Laparoscopic repair of a traumatic intrapericardial diaphragmatic hernia." Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. 2014 April ; 18 (2): 333-337. Pubmed PMID: 24960502
- Dua A, Aziz A, Desai SS, McMaster J, Kuy S "National Trends in the Adoption of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy over 7 Years in the United States and Impact of Laparoscopic Approaches Stratified by Age." Minim Invasive Surg. 2014 March ; 2014 (635461): Pubmed PMID: 24790759
- Kuy S, Dua A "Uncertainty in management of carotid stenosis in women-reply." JAMA Surgery. 2014 April ; 149 (4): 402-403. Pubmed PMID: 24740705
- Dua A, McMaster J, Desai PJ, Desai SS, Kuy S, Mata M, Cooper J "The Association between Blunt Cardiac Injury and Isolated Sternal Fracture." Cardiol Res Pract. 2014 2014 (629687.): Pubmed PMID: 24653859
- Dua A, Kuy S, Lee CJ, Upchurch GR Jr, Desai SS "Epidemiology of aortic aneurysm repair in the United States from 2000 to 2010." Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2014 June ; 59 (6): 1512-1517. Pubmed PMID: 24560865
- Kuy S, Dua A, Lee CJ, Patel B, Desai SS, Dua A, Szabo A, Patel PJ "National trends in utilization of inferior vena cava filters in the United States, 2000-2009." Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2014 January ; 2 (1): 15-20. Pubmed PMID: 26992963
- Kuy S, Rossi PJ, Seabrook GR, Brown KR, Lewis BD, Rilling WS, Martin G, Patel B, Dua A, McMaster J, Desai S, Lee CJ "Endovascular management of a traumatic renal-caval arteriovenous fistula in a pediatric patient." Ann Vasc Surg. 2014 May ; 28 (4): 1031. Pubmed PMID: 24360940
- Kuy S, Dua A, Desai SS, et al. "Ruptured mycobacterial aneurysm of the carotid artery." Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2013 December ; 25 (3-4): 53-56. Pubmed PMID: 24345739
- Kuy S, Dua A, Desai SS, et al. "Carotid endarterectomy national trends over a decade: does sex matter?." Ann Vasc Surg. 2014 May ; 28 (4): 887-892. Pubmed PMID: 24321266
- Kuy S, He C, Cronin DC II "Renal mucormycosis: a rare and potentially lethal complication of kidney transplantation." Case Rep Transplant. 2013 2013 (915423): Pubmed PMID: 24251062
- Dua A, Patel B, Heller J, Kuy S, DuBose J, Tomasek JS, Larssen EM, Desai SS "Variability in the management of superficial venous thrombophlebitis among phlebologists and vascular surgeons." Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2013 June ; 25 (1-2): 5-10. Pubmed PMID: 24225503
- Kulaylat AN, Zheng F, Kuy S, et al. "Early surgical subspecialization: a new paradigm. Part II: interviews with leaders in surgical education." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2013 August ; 98 (8): 43-49. Pubmed PMID: 24205575
- Baker J, Misra S, Manimala NJ, Kuy S, Gantt G "The role of politics in shaping surgical training.." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2013 August ; 98 (8): 17-25. Pubmed PMID: 24205571
- Kuy S, Dua A, Desai S, et al. "Surgical site infections after lower extremity revascularization procedures involving groin incisions." Ann Vasc Surg. 2014 January ; 28 (1): 53-58. Pubmed PMID: 24189008
- Dua A, Patel B, Kuy S, et al. "Asymptomatic 50% to 75% internal carotid artery stenosis in 288 patients: risk factors for disease progression and ipsilateral neurological symptoms." Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2012 December ; 24 (4): 165-170. Pubmed PMID: 23804963
- Dua A, Dua A, Desai SS, Kuy S, Sharma R, Jechow SE, McMaster J, Patel B, Kuy S "Gender based differences in management and outcomes of cholecystitis." Am J Surg. 2013 November ; 206 (5): 641-646. Pubmed PMID: 24011570
- Kuy S, Codner PA, Guralnick M, Dua A, Paul J "Combined rectovesicular injuries from low velocity penetrating trauma in an adult." Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2013 February ; 112 (1): 32-34. Pubmed PMID: 23513312
- Kuy S, Sosa JA, Roman SA, Desai R, Rosenthal RA. "Age matters: a study of clinical and economic outcomes following cholecystectomy in elderly Americans." Am J Surg. 2011 June ; 201 (6): 789-796. Pubmed PMID: 21741511
- Kuy S, Greenberg CC, Gusani NJ, Dimick JB, Kao LS, Brasel KJ "Health services research resources for surgeons." J Surg Res. 2011 November ; 171 (1): e69-73. Pubmed PMID: 21920545
- Kuy S, Vickery M, Dua A, Rosner G. "Image of the month. Appendiceal endometriosis.." JAMA Surgery. 2013 May ; 148 (5): 481-482. Pubmed PMID: 23677412
- Kuy S, Roman SA, Desai R, Sosa JA "Outcomes following cholecystectomy in pregnant and nonpregnant women." Surgery. 2009 August ; 146 (2): 358-366. Pubmed PMID: 19451480
- Kuy S, Roman SA, Desai R, Sosa JA. "Outcomes following thyroid and parathyroid surgery in pregnant women." JAMA Surgery. 2009 May ; 144 (5): 399-406. Pubmed PMID: 19451480
- Dua A, Desai SS, Kuy S, et al. "Predicting outcomes using the National Trauma Data Bank: optimum management of traumatic blunt carotid and blunt thoracic injury." Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2012 September ; 24 (3): 123-127. Pubmed PMID: 23531516
- McMaster J, Dua A, Desai SS, Kuy S, Kuy S "Short term outcomes following breast cancer surgery in pregnant women." Gynecol Oncol. 2014 December ; 135 (3): 539-541. Pubmed PMID: 24041879
- Kuy S, Somberg LB, Paul J, et al. "Undetected penetrating bladder injuries presenting as a spontaneously expulsed bullet during voiding: a rare entity and review of the literature." Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2013 September ; 45 (3): e59-62. Pubmed PMID: 23714330
- Kuy S. "When patient health is at risk, doctors would do well to follow the example of their California peers." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2008 August ; 93 (8): 23-24. Pubmed PMID: 23091874
- Dhage D, Kuy S, Grover A "Profiles in diversity: Surgeon Leaders need to educate, elevate and energize to create a culture of diversity." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2019 April ; 104 (4): 20-25.
- Kuy S "ACS Health Policy Scholar Reports on the Value of Small Acts." Bull Am Coll Surg. 2017 December ; 102 (12): 66-69.
- Dua A, Desai SS, Dua A, Charlton-Ouw K, Dongerkery SP, Patel B, Kuy S, McMaster J, Darlow M, Shapiro ML "The Impact of Co-Morbid Conditions and Insurance Status on Trauma Patient Outcomes." TRAUMA. 2013 15 (3): 239.
- Desai P, Dua A, McMaster J, Patel B, Dua A, Kuy S, Desai S, Krzowski-Firych J "Infectious Mononucleosis-Like Syndrome Presented in Toxoplasmosis Infection." J Surg Rad. 2013 : 134-136.
- Dua A, Desai S, McMaster J, Aziz A, Dua A, Kuy S "The Role of Platelets in Vascular Trauma Patients Compared to Patients with Chronic Vascular Disease." Vascular Disease Management. 2013 10 (11): E240-E243.
- Franks K, Li H, Kuy S, Kong W "Photodissociation of ICN at 266 nm and BrCN at 230 nm using brute force orientation." Chemical Physics Letters. 1999 302 : 151-156.
- Chu Q, Correa R, Henry T, McGregor K, Stoklosa H, Robinson L, Jha S, Annamalai A, Hsu B, Gupta R, Patton D, Moreno-Walton L, Butts C, Chai C, Kuy S "Reallocating Ventilators During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Is it Ethical?." Surgery. 2020 :
- Rohit Gupta and SreyRam Kuy "Small Bowel Obstruction in a Surgically Naïve Abdomen." Federal Practitioner. 2020 March ; 37(3):125-127 :
- Kuy S, Kwon R, Burch M "50 Studies Every Surgeon Should Know." Oxford University Press. 2017 Print ISBN-13: 9780199384075 :
- American College of Surgeons
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society of University Surgeons
Log In to edit your profile