Sebastian Acosta, Ph.D.
Sebastian Acosta, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Predictive Analytics Laboratory
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- PhD from Rice University
- 05/2014 - Houston, Texas United States
- Computational and Applied Mathematics, Biomechanics and Inverse Problems
- MS from Brigham Young University
- 05/2011 - Provo, Utah United States
- Mathematics, Partial Differential Equations
- BS from Brigham Young University
- 05/2009 - Provo, Utah United States
- Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics
Honors & Awards
- AMS-Simons Travel Grant 2015-2017
- BP Scholarship Award in Science 2012
- Selected Participant SIAM Summer School on Waves and Imaging 2011
- Graduate Research Award BYU Math 2011
- Graduate Research Fellowship BYU Math 2010
- Orson Pratt Prize for most outstanding graduating senior, BYU Math 2009
- Brigham Young Bicentennial Scholar
- World Young Researchers for the Environment WYRE 2000
- NSF-DMS Grant
- 07/2017 - 06/2020
- Computational Biomechanics
- Inverse Problems and Imaging
- Machine Learning, predictive analytics for critical care
Professional StatementAdvanced computational methods and artificial intelligence are becoming a promising factor to improve the assessment and treatment of pathological conditions. My goal is to further this line of scientific endeavor and reinforce the translation of quantitative methods into clinical practice. I am an interdisciplinary scientist who works at the interface between mathematics, statistics, engineering and medicine. My areas of expertise are biomechanics, computational science, and mathematical and statistical methods of inference. Current applications include predictive analytics for the deterioration of CVICU patients, for hemodynamic irregularities, photoacoustic imaging, decision-making, and planning/scheduling optimization.
- S. Acosta, D. Penny, C. Rusin "An effective model of blood flow in capillary beds." Microvasc. Res.. 2015;100:40-47.
- S. Acosta and C. Montalto "Multiwave imaging in an enclosure with variable wave speed." Inverse Problems. 2015;31:065009.
- S. Acosta, C. Puelz, B. Riviere, D. Penny, C. Rusin "Numerical method of characteristics for one-dimensional blood flow." J. COmput. Phys.. 2015;294:96-109.
- S. Acosta "A control approach to recover the wave speed (conformal factor) from one measurement." Inverse Prob & Imaging. 2015;9:301-315.
- S. Acosta "On-surface radiation condition for multiple scattering of waves." Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engrg. 2015;283:1296-1309.
- S. Acosta "Time reversal for radiative transport with applications to inverse and control problems." Inverse Problems. 2013;29:085014.
- S. Acosta, S. Chow, J. Taylor, V. Villamizar "On the multi-frequency inverse source problem in heterogeneous media." Inverse Prob.. 2012;28:075013.
- C. Rusin, S. Acosta, L. Shekerdemian, E. Vu, A. Bavare, R. Myers, L. Patterson, K. Brady, D. Penny "Prediction of imminent, severe deterioration of children with parallel circulations using real-time processing of physiologic data." J. Thoracic Cardiovasc. Surg.. 2016;152:171-177.
- S. Acosta "Recovery of the absorption coefficient in radiative transport from a single measurement." Inverse Probl & Imaging. 2015;9:289-300.
- S. Acosta, R. Alonso, L. Borcea "Source estimation with incoherent waves in random waveguides." Inverse Prob.. 2015;31:035013.
- R. Wagner, S. Acosta, S. Glasgow, Q. Su, and R. Grobe "Quantum fluctuations in the dressed vacuum of a bosonic model system." J. Phys. A. 2012;45:275303.
- S. Acosta, V. Villamizar and B. Malone "The DtN nonreflecting boundary condition for multiple scattering problems in the half-plane." Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engrg. 2012;217:1-11.
- S. Acosta, D. Penny, K. Brady, C. Rusin "An effective model of cerebrovascular pressure reactivity and blood flow autoregulation." Microvascular Research. 2018;115:34-43.
- S. Acosta, M. Ahmed, S. Yin, K. Brady, D. Penny, C. Rusin "A robust Fourier-based method to measure pulse pressure variability." Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. 2020;60:101947.
- S. Acosta, C. Puelz, D. Penny, B. Riviere, K. Brady, C. Rusin "Cardiovascular mechanics in the early stages of pulmonary hypertension." Biomech. Model. Mechanobio.. 2017;
- S. Acosta "High order surface radiation conditions for time-harmonic waves in exterior domains." Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Egnrg.. 2017;32:296-310.
- Barbara-Jo Achuff; Brady Moffett; Sebastian Acosta; Javier Lasa; Paul Checchia; Craig Rusin "Hemodynamic response to IV Acetaminophen in pediatric cardiac patients." Critical Care Medicine. 2018 Jan;46(1):28.
- B. Achuff, J. Achuff, H. Park, B. Moffett, S. Acosta, C. Rusin, P. Checchia "Epinephrine syringe exchange events in a paediatric cardiovascular ICU: analysing the storm." Cardiology in the Young. 2017 Dec;1-7.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Coupling of Dirichlet-to-Neumann boundary condition and finite difference methods in curvilinear coordinates for multiple scattering." J. Comput. Phys.. 2010;229:5498–5517.
- B-J. Achuff, B. Moffett, S. Acosta, J. Lasa, P. Checchia, C. Rusin "Hypotensive response to IV Acetaminophen in pediatric cardiac patients." Pediatr. Crit. Care Med.. 2019 Jan; Pubmed PMID: 30676493
- S. Acosta, B. Palacios "Thermoacoustic tomography using an integro-differential wave equation modeling attenuation." J. Diff. Equations. 2018;264:1984-2010.
- C. Puelz, S. Acosta, B. Riviere, D. Penny, K. Brady, C. Rusin "A computational study of the Fontan circulation with fenestration or hepatic vein exclusion." Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2017;89:405-418.
- V. Villamizar, S. Acosta, B. Dastrup "High order local absorbing boundary conditions for acoustic waves in terms of farfield expansions." J. Comput. Phys.. 2017;333:331-351.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Generation of smooth grids with line control for scattering from multiple obstacles." Math. Comput. Simul.. 2009;79:2506-2520.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Finite differences on grids with nearly uniform cell area and line spacing for the wave equation on complex domains." J. Comp. Appl. Math.. 2010;234:1970-1979.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Elliptic grids with nearly uniform cell area and line spacing." Elect. Trans. Num. Anal. ETNA.. 2009;34:59-75.
- S. Acosta and P. Acosta "Numerical wave scattering taking account of energy dissipation and media stiffness." SIAM J. Undergrad. Research Online.. 2008;1:100-119.
- S. Acosta "Recovery of pressure and wave speed for photoacoustic imaging under a condition of relative uncertainty." Inverse Problems. 2019;35(11):115013.
- S Acosta "Well-posedness for photoacoustic tomography with Fabry-Perot sensors." SIAM J. Imag. Sciences. 2019;12(4):1669-1685.
- D. Rios, C. Rhee, L. Elizondo, K. Brady, C. Rusin, S. Acosta "Creatinine filtration kinetics in critically ill neonates." Pediatric Research. 2020 May 26;
- M. Ahmed et al. "Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children: A systematic review." EClinicalMedicine. 2020 Sep;26:100527.
- AHA: American Heart Association
- SIAM: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Collaborative Research: Improved Algorithms for Multiwave Imaging in Complex Media: Theory and Computation - #1712725 (07/15/2017 - 06/30/2020) Grant funding from NSF-DMS
Log In to edit your profile