Saeed Ahmed, M.D., MSc, B.A.
Saeed Ahmed, M.D., MSc, B.A.
- Associate Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Texas Children's Hospital, Feigin Center (Clinic)
1102 Bates Street, Suite 630
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (832) 822-1038
- Advanced Training from Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
- 01/2006 - New York, NY United States
- M.D. from Yale University School Of Medicine
- 01/2003 - New Haven, CT United States
Professional StatementDr. Saeed Ahmed works in the retrovirology department at Texas Children's Hospital/Baylor College of Medicine, and continues his involvement with BIPAI - Malawi. Dr. Ahmed was a member of the 2006 Pediatric AIDS Corps, serving in Malawi from 2006- 2010.
While in Malawi, Dr. Ahmed helped BIPAI develop strategies to improve community outreach, early infant diagnosis (EID), and prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) in addition to his clinical responsibilities. With Dr. Maria Kim, he started a community outreach program called Tingathe (meaning "Yes we can" in the local language Chichewa), which uses community health workers to improve EID, PMTCT and pediatric HIV care and treatment outcomes.
Dr. Ahmed is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley and the Yale University School of Medicine. He trained in pediatrics at Columbia Presbyterian Children's Hospital of New York. He is a former Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellow. Dr. Ahmed has worked in Colombia, the Dominican Republic and Honduras, and speaks Spanish and Urdu.
- Ahmed S, Kim MH, Sugandhi N, Phelps BR, Sabelli R, Diallo MO, Young P, Duncan D, Kellerman SE "Beyond early infant diagnosis: case finding strategies for identification of HIV-infected infants and children." AIDS. 2013 27 : S235-S245. Pubmed PMID: 24361633
- Kellerman SE1, Ahmed S, Feeley-Summerl T, Jay J, Kim M, Phelps BR, Sugandhi N, Schouten E, Tolle M, Tsiouris F "Beyond prevention of mother-to-child transmission: keeping HIV-exposed and HIV-positive children healthy and alive." AIDS. 2013 27 : S225-S233. Pubmed PMID: 24361632
- Tolle MA1, Phelps BR, Desmond C, Sugandhi N, Omeogu C, Jamieson D, Ahmed S, Reuben E, Muhe L, Kellerman SE "Delivering pediatric HIV care in resource-limited settings: cost considerations in an expanded response." AIDS. 2013 27 : S179-S186. Pubmed PMID: 24361627
- Sugandhi N1, Rodrigues J, Kim M, Ahmed S, Amzel A, Tolle M, Dziuban EJ, Kellerman SE, Rivadeneira E "HIV-exposed infants: rethinking care for a lifelong condition." AIDS. 2013 27 : S187-S195. Pubmed PMID: 24361628
- Phelps BR1, Ahmed S, Amzel A, Diallo MO, Jacobs T, Kellerman SE, Kim MH, Sugandhi N, Tam M, Wilson-Jones M "Linkage, initiation and retention of children in the antiretroviral therapy cascade: an overview." AIDS. 2013 27 : S207-S213.. Pubmed PMID: 2436163
- Kim MH1, Ahmed S, Preidis GA, Abrams EJ, Hosseinipour MC, Giordano TP, Chiao EY, Paul ME, Bhalakia A, Nanthuru D, Kazembe PN. "Low rates of mother-to-child HIV transmission in a routine programmatic setting in Lilongwe, Malawi." PLoS One. 2013 8 (5): e64979. Pubmed PMID: 23741437
- Kabue MM1, Buck WC, Wanless SR, Cox CM, McCollum ED, Caviness AC, Ahmed S, Kim MH, Thahane L, Devlin A, Kochelani D, Kazembe PN, Calles NR, Mizwa MB, Schutze GE, Kline MW "Mortality and Clinical Outcomes in HIV-infected Children on Antiretroviral Therapy in Malawi, Lesotho, and Swaziland." Pediatrics. 2012 130 (3): e591-9. Pubmed PMID: 22891234
- Buck WC1, Olson D, Kabue MM, Ahmed S, Nchama LK, Munthali A, Hosseinipour MC, Kazembe PN "Risk factors for mortality in Malawian children with human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis co-infection." Int J Tuberc Lung Dis.. 2013 17 (11): 1389-95. Pubmed PMID: 24125439
- Ahmed S, Kim MH, Abrams EJ "Risks and benefits of lifelong antiretroviral treatment for pregnant and breastfeeding women: a review of the evidence for the Option B+ approach." Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2013 8 (5): 474-89. Pubmed PMID: 23925003
- Kim MH1, Ahmed S, Buck WC, Preidis GA, Hosseinipour MC, Bhalakia A, Nanthuru D, Kazembe PN, Chimbwandira F, Giordano TP, Chiao EY, Schutze GE, Kline MW "The Tingathe programme: a pilot intervention using community health workers to create a continuum of care in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) cascade of services in Malawi." J Int AIDS Soc.. 2012 15 (2): 17389. Pubmed PMID: 22789644
Log In to edit your profile