Nora Vanegas Arroyave, M.D.
Nora Vanegas Arroyave, M.D.
- Associate Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center, McNair Campus (Clinic)
7200 Cambridge Street
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-2273
- Fellowship at NIH/NINDS - NeuroNEXT - CTMC
- 11/2019 - New York, New York United States
- Clinical Fellowship at National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- 12/2015 - Bethesda, Maryland United States
- Residency at North Shore - Long Island Jewish
- 06/2013 - Manhasset, New York United States
- MD from Universidad de Antioquia
- 12/2005 - Medellin, Colombia
- Movement Disorders
- Parkinson's Disease
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Essential Tremor
Professional StatementI am an Assistant Professor of Neurology and Director of Neuromodulation Research at Baylor College of Medicine. After finishing Neurology Residency and having served as Chief Resident at North Shore University Hospital in New York, I completed a combined clinical-research fellowship with an emphasis on neuroimaging and neuromodulation, at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). I then transitioned to Columbia University where I spent 4 fruitful years of my early career as an Assistant Professor of Neurology. I joined Baylor College of Medicine as Director of Neuromodulation Research for the Department of Neurology in 2020. My clinical and research efforts focus on the use of neuromodulation therapies for the treatment of neuropsychiatric conditions, including Parkinson's Disease, dystonia, essential tremor and depression. In addition, I serve as Principal Investigator for industry-sponsored clinical trials aiming to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurodegenerative conditions. I successfully mentor fellows and students in the development and execution of their research projects and as a bilingual neurologist (English and Spanish), it is my priority to provide high quality compassionate care to diverse patient populations.
Comprehensive list of publications and presentations
- Clinical Trials Methodology Course
- Course (Participant, 2019)
- Sponsor: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- The role of this course is to foster the career development of clinical investigators on the design and execution of successful clinical trials.
- Yang AI, Vanegas N, Lungu C, Zaghloul KA "Beta-coupled high-frequency activity and beta-locked neuronal spiking in the subthalamic nucleus of Parkinson's disease." J Neurosci. 2014;34(38):12816-27. Pubmed PMID: 25232117
- Rutherford BR, Slifstein M, Chen C, Abi-Dargham A, Brown PJ, Wall MW, et al "Effects of L-DOPA monotherapy on psychomotor speed and [(11)c]raclopride binding in high-risk older adults with depression." Biol Psychiatry. 2019;86(3):221-9. Pubmed PMID: 31178096
- Pretegiani E, Vanegas-Arroyave N, FitzGibbon EJ, Hallett M, Optican LM "Evidence from Parkinson's disease that the superior colliculus couples action and perception." Mov Disord. 2019;34(11):1680-9. Pubmed PMID: 31633242
- Vanegas N, Zaghloul K, Hallett M, Lungu C "Leg movements during general anesthesia." Mov Disord Clin Pract. 2016;3(5):510-2. Pubmed PMID: 28239614
- Rutherford BR, Choi J, Slifstein M, O'Boyle K, Abi-Dargham A, Brown PJ, et al "Neuroanatomical predictors of L-DOPA response in older adults with psychomotor slowing and depression: A pilot study." J Affect Disord. 2020;265:439-44. Pubmed PMID: 32090770
- Cassidy CM, Zucca FA, Girgis RR, Baker SC, Weinstein JJ, Sharp ME, et al "Neuromelanin-sensitive MRI as a noninvasive proxy measure of dopamine function in the human brain." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019;116(11):5108-17. Pubmed PMID: 30796187
- Vanegas-Arroyave N, Panyakaew P, Lamichhane D, Shulman L, Hallett M "Possible functional moving toes syndrome." Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov (N Y). 2016;3:352. Pubmed PMID: 27144090
- Rossi PJ, Gunduz A, Judy J, Wilson L, Machado A, Giordano JJ, et al "Proceedings of the Third Annual Deep Brain Stimulation Think Tank: A review of emerging issues and technologies." Front Neurosci. 2016;10:119. Pubmed PMID: 27092042
- Enver N, Borders JC, Curtis JA, Sevitz JS, Vanegas-Arroyave N, Troche MS "The role of vocal fold bowing on cough and swallowing dysfunction in progressive supranuclear palsy." Laryngoscope. 2021;131(6):1217-22. Pubmed PMID: 32687232
- Vanegas-Arroyave N, Lauro PM, Huang L, Hallett M, Horovitz SG, Zaghloul KA, et al "Tractography patterns of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation." Brain. 2016;135(Pt 4):1200-10. Pubmed PMID: 26921616
- Radmard S, Ortega RA, Ford B, Vanegas-Arroyave N, McKhann GM, Sheth SA, et al "Using computerized spiral analysis to evaluate deep brain stimulation outcomes in Parkinson disease." Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2021;208:106878.
- Exploring the effects of Spinal Cord Stimulation in gait and locomotion in Parkinson’s Disease.
- White matter tractography correlates of apathy in Parkinson Disease.
- Movement Disorders Society (MDS)
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- Parkinson’s Study Group (PSG)
- Credentialed Investigator
Log In to edit your profile