Laurence McCullough, Ph.D.
Laurence McCullough, Ph.D.
Distinguished Emeritus Professor
- Distinguished Emeritus Professor
Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- A.B. from Williams College
- 01/1969 - Williamstown, Massachusetts United States
- Ph.D. from University of Texas at Austin
- 01/1975 - Austin, Texas United States
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship from Hastings Center
- 01/1975 - Garrison, New York United States
- Professionalism in medicine
- Ethics in obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, psychiatry, and surgery
- Ethics of physician leadership
- Ethics of human subjects research
- History of medical ethics
- Ethics consultation
Professional StatementLaurence B. McCullough, Ph.D., is the associate director for Education and inaugural holder (since May 2008) of the Dalton Tomlin Chair in Medical Ethics and Health Policy in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine, where is he also professor of Medicine and Medical Ethics. Dr. McCullough is also a professor of Family and Community Medicine at BCM and faculty associate of Baylor’s Huffington Center on Aging.
Dr. McCullough has published 370 papers in the peer-reviewed medical and bioethics literature. In addition, he has published 50 original chapters in scholarly books and more than 100 chapters in medical textbooks. Dr. McCullough teaches BCM medical students and residents in BCM’s affiliated hospitals, directs the clinical ethics elective of BCM’s award-winning Ethics Track for its medical students, and teaches courses in medical humanities in the Department of Philosophy at Rice University in his capacity as Adjunct Professor of Philosophy. He directs the Ethics Consultation Program at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, and serves on the ethics committees of the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, St. Luke’s, and Texas Children’s Hospital.
- Brett AS, McCullough LB "When patients request specific interventions: Defining the limits of the physician's obligation." N Engl J Med. 1986 20;315(21):1347-51. Pubmed PMID: 3773957
- Brody BA, McCullough LB, Sharp R "Consensus and controversy in clinical research ethics." JAMA. 2005 Sep 21;294(11):1411-4. Pubmed PMID: 16174704
- Chervenak FA, McCullough LB "An ethically justified approach to offering, recommending, performing, and referring for induced abortion and feticide." Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;201(6):560.e1-6. Pubmed PMID: 19762005
- Bangdiwala SI, Brown SS, Cunningham FG, Dean TM, Frederiksen M, Hogue CJ, King TL, Lukacz ES, McCullough LB, Nicholson W, Petit NF, Probstfield JL, Viguera AC, Wong CA, Zimmet SC "NIH Consensus Development Conference Draft Statement on Vaginal Birth after Cesarean: New Insights." NIH Consens State Sci Statements. 2010 Mar 10;27(3):1-42. Pubmed PMID: 20228855
- Chervenak FA, McCullough LB "An ethically justified framework for clinical investigation to benefit pregnant and fetal patients." Am J Bioeth. 2011 May;11(5):39-49. Pubmed PMID: 21534151
- Brett AS, McCullough LB "Patient requests for nonbeneficial care – reply." JAMA. 2012 May 2;307(17):1797-8.
- McCullough LB "An ethical framework for the responsible leadership of accountable care organizations." Am J Med Qual. 2012 May 1;27(3):189-94. Pubmed PMID: 22114154
- McCullough LB "Professional responsibility to and for patients and the ethics of health policy." Am J Bioeth. 2013 Aug;13(8):16-8. Pubmed PMID: 23862591
- Grünebaum A, McCullough LB¸ Sapra KJ, Brent RL, Levene MI, Arabin B, Chervenak FA "Apgar score of zero at five minutes and neonatal seizures or serious neurologic dysfunction in relation to birth setting." Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;209(4):323.e1-6. Pubmed PMID: 23791692
- McGuire AL, Joffe S, Koenig BA, Biesecker BB, McCullough LB, Blumenthal-Barby JS, Caufield T, Terry SF, Green RC "Ethics and genetic incidental findings." Science. 2013 May 31;340(6136):1047-8. Pubmed PMID: 23686340
Log In to edit your profile