Moreno, Ph.D., M.A., B.A.
Moreno, Ph.D., M.A., B.A.
- Assistant Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Research Member
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Houston, Texas United States
- Children's Nutrition Research Center (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-7069
- BA from Tulane University
- 05/2003 - New Orleans, Louisiana United States
- MA from Louisiana State University
- 08/2005 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana United States
- Clinical Psychology
- PhD from Louisiana State University
- 08/2009 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana United States
- Clinical Psyhcology
- Internship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2008 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Psychology
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2009 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Psychology
Honors & Awards
- Young Investigator Award
- Given to the most impactful young investigators of 2019 in recognition of her contributions to both advancing science and promoting the department’s vision to protect the health of children.
- Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine (11/2019)
- Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity
- Summer Weight Gain
- Circadian and Circannual rhythms
- Behavioral Interventions
Professional StatementMy previous research has demonstrated that children increase their weight status (standardized BMI) at a faster rate during the summer compared to the school year, contributing to increases in the rates of overweight and obesity among elementary school age children. I am particularly interested in using the school summer paradigm as a way to identify novel determinants of childhood obesity to develop innovative interventions for the prevention of obesity in children. My current research focuses on the role of circadian and circannual rhythms (i.e., daily and annual biological rhythms) in the seasonal variation of children's growth and their contribution to the development of obesity in children.
- Moreno JP, Crowley SJ, Alfano CA, Hannay KM, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "Potential circadian and circannual rhythm contributions to the obesity epidemic in elementary school age children.." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act.. 2019 March 7; 16 (1): 25. Pubmed PMID: 30845969
- Baranowski T, Motil KJ, Moreno JP. "Behavioral Research Agenda in a Multietiological Approach to Child Obesity Prevention.." 2019 March 29; : Pubmed PMID: 30925082
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Chen TA, O'Connor TA, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Baranowski T. "Seasonal variability in weight change during elementary school.." Obesity. 2015 23 (2): 422-428. Pubmed PMID: 25557689
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Woehler D "Changes in weight over the school year and summer vacation: results of a 5-year longitudinal study.." J Sch Health. 2013 July ; 83 (7): 473-7. Pubmed PMID: 23782089
- Chen TA, Baranowski T, Moreno JP, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Kimbro RT, Johnston CA. "Obesity status trajectory groups among elementary school children.." BMC Public Health. 2016 July 7; 16 : 526. Pubmed PMID: 27387030
- Chen TA, Baranowski T, Moreno JP, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Kimbro RT, Johnston CA. "Obesity status transitions across the elementary years: use of Markov chain modelling.." Pediatric obesity. 2016 11 (2): 88-94. Pubmed PMID: 25854860
- Reesor L, Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Hernandez DC. "School-Based Weight Management Program Curbs Summer Weight Gain Among Low-Income Hispanic Middle School Students.." J School Health. 2019 January ; 89 (1): 59-67. Pubmed PMID: 30506696
- Moreno JP, Vézina-Im LA, Vaughan EM, Baranowski T. "Impact of child summertime obesity interventions on body mass index, and weight-related behaviours: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol.." BMJ Open. 2017 October 22; 7 (10): Pubmed PMID: 29061614
- Lanzarote-Fernández MD, Lozano-Oyola JF, Gómez-de-Terreros-Guardiola M, Avilés-Carvajal I, Martínez-Cervantes RJ, Moreno JP. "Spanish Version of the Family Health Behavior Scale: Adaptation and Validation.." Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 March 6; 16 (5):
- Moreno JP, Kelley ML, Landry DN, Paasch V, Terlecki MA, Johnston CA, Foreyt JP "Development and validation of the Family Health Behavior Scale.." Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011 June ; 6 (41307): e480-6. Pubmed PMID: 21615229
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Sleep Research Society
- Society for Research on Biological Rhythms
- Pediatric Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association- Division 54
- Understanding Childhood Obesity (01/01/2016 - 12/31/2017) Mullen Foundation
- This mixed methods study explored causes of summertime increases in standardized body mass index in children.
- Differences in Children’s Sleep and Circadian Rhythms during the School Year and Summer Vacation (07/01/2016 - 03/31/2018) Grant funding from Texas Children's Pediatric Pilot Research Fund
- This research proposes to examine differences in children’s sleep habits and behavioral rhythms during the summer and school year and the association with children’s weight status.
- The i♥rhythm project: Healthy sleep and behavioral rhythms for obesity prevention - #K99HD091396 (07/12/2017 - 06/30/2019) Grant funding from NICHD
- Summer is a time during which children’s risk of obesity increases substantially, yet there is a paucity of interventions to prevent summer increases in BMI. Disrupted sleep patterns and behavioral rhythms, which may occur in the transition from the school year to summer vacation, have been implicated in the onset of obesity. The i♥rhythm project, will adapt Interpersonal Social Rhythm Therapy to promote stable behavioral rhythms during summer vacation for the prevention of obesity in young elementary school children.
- The i♥rhythm project: Healthy sleep and behavioral rhythms for obesity prevention - #R00HD091396 (07/01/2019 - 06/30/2022) Grant funding from NICHD
- The i♥rhythm project, will examine the feasibility of an interactive mobile health intervention to promote stable behavioral rhythms during summer vacation for the prevention of obesity in young elementary school children.
Log In to edit your profile