Moreno, Ph.D., M.A., B.A.
Moreno, Ph.D., M.A., B.A.
- Assistant Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Research Member
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Houston, Texas United States
- Children's Nutrition Research Center (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-7069
- BA from Tulane University
- 05/2003 - New Orleans, Louisiana United States
- MA from Louisiana State University
- 08/2005 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana United States
- Clinical Psychology
- PhD from Louisiana State University
- 08/2009 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana United States
- Clinical Psyhcology
- Internship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2008 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Psychology
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2009 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Psychology
Honors & Awards
- Young Investigator Award
- Given to the most impactful young investigators of 2019 in recognition of her contributions to both advancing science and promoting the department’s vision to protect the health of children.
- Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine (11/2019)
- Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity
- Summer Weight Gain
- Circadian and Circannual rhythms
- Behavioral Interventions
Professional StatementMy previous research has demonstrated that children increase their weight status (standardized BMI) at a faster rate during the summer compared to the school year, contributing to increases in the rates of overweight and obesity among elementary school age children. I am particularly interested in using the school summer paradigm as a way to identify novel determinants of childhood obesity to develop innovative interventions for the prevention of obesity in children. My current research focuses on the role of circadian and circannual rhythms (i.e., daily and annual biological rhythms) in the seasonal variation of children's growth and their contribution to the development of obesity in children.
- Goetz AR, Jindal I, Moreno JP, Puyau MR, Adolph AL, Musaad S, Butte NF, Bacha F "The role of sleep and eating patterns in adiposity gain among preschool-aged children." Am J Clin Nutr.2022/July;[Online ahead of print]:doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqac197. Pubmed PMID: 35833269
- Moreno JP, Hannay KM, Walch O, Dadabhoy H, Christian J, Puyau M, El-Mubasher A, Bacha F, Grant SR, Park RJ, Cheng P "Estimating circadian phase in elementary school children: Leveraging advances in physiologically-informed models of circadian entrainment and wearable devices." Sleep.2022/June;45(6):zsac061. Pubmed PMID: 35275213
- Moreno JP, Dadabhoy H, Musaad S, Baranowski T, Thompson D, Alfano CA, Crowley SJ "Evaluation of a circadian rhythm and sleep-focused mobile health intervention for the prevention of accelerated summer weight gain among elementary school–age children: Protocol for a randomized controlled feasibility study." JMIR Res Protoc.2022/May;11(5):e37002. Pubmed PMID: 35576573
- Moreno JP, Musaad S, Dadabhoy H, Baranowski T, Crowley SJ, Thompson D, Johnston CA "Seasonality of children’s height and weight and their contribution to accelerated summer weight gain." Front Physiol.2022/May;13:793999. Pubmed PMID: 35665226
- Preto LT, Scarpatto CH, Ley LLG, Silveira C, Salerno MR, Moreno JP, Castro SMJ, Booij L, Mattiello R "Validation of the Family Health Behavior Scale for the Brazilian population." J Pediatr (Rio J). 2022 January ; 98 (1): 84-91. Pubmed PMID: 33965407
- Moreno JP, Razjouyan J, Lester H, Dadabhoy H, Amirmazaheri M, Reesor-Oyer L, O'Connor TM, Hernandez DC, Najafi B, Alfano CA, Crowley SJ, Thompson D, Baranowski T "Later sleep timing predicts accelerated summer weight gain among elementary school children: a prospective observational study." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2021 July ; 18 (1): 94. Pubmed PMID: 34247639
- Nicholson LM, Egbert AH, Moreno JP, Bohnert AM "Variability of sleep and relations to body weight among first-year college students." Int J Behav Med. 2021 April ; 28 (2): 227-37. Pubmed PMID: 32385844
- Hannay KM, Moreno JP "Integrating wearable data into circadian models." Curr Opin Syst Biol. 2020 August ; 22 : 32-8.
- Moreno JP, Crowley SJ, Alfano CA, Thompson D. "Physiological mechanisms underlying children's circannual growth patterns and their contributions to the obesity epidemic in elementary school age children." Obes Rev. 2020 March ; 21 (3): e12973. Pubmed PMID: 31737994
- Vaughan EM, Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Cheskin LJ, Dutton GR, Gee M, Gaussoin SA, Knowler WC, Rejeski WJ, Wadden TA, Yanovski SZ, Foreyt JP "Symptom prevalence differences of depression as measured by BDI and PHQ scales in the Look AHEAD Study." Obes Sci Pract. 2019 December ; 6 (1): 28-38. Pubmed PMID: 32128240
- Baranowski T, Motil KJ, Moreno JP "Public health procedures, alone, will not prevent child obesity." Child Obes. 2019 September ; 15 (6): 359-62. Pubmed PMID: 31397605
- Moreno JP, Crowley SJ, Alfano CA, Hannay KM, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "Potential circadian and circannual rhythm contributions to the obesity epidemic in elementary school age children." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2019 March 7; 16 (1): 25. Pubmed PMID: 30845969
- Baranowski T, Motil KJ, Moreno JP. "Behavioral research agenda in a multietiological approach to child obesity prevention." Child Obes. 2019 March ; 15 (4): 223-6. Pubmed PMID: 30925082
- Lanzarote-Fernández MD, Lozano-Oyola JF, Gómez-de-Terreros-Guardiola M, Avilés-Carvajal I, Martínez-Cervantes RJ, Moreno JP. "Spanish version of the Family Health Behavior Scale: Adaptation and validation." Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 March 6; 16 (5): 810. Pubmed PMID: 30845645
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Hernandez DC, Link BA, Chen TA, Wojtanowski AC, Foster GD, Foreyt JP "Levels of adherence needed to achieve significant weight loss." Int J Obes (Lond). 2019 January ; 43 (1): 125-31. Pubmed PMID: 30301963
- Baranowski T, Motil KJ, Moreno JP "Multi-etiological perspective on child obesity prevention." Curr Nutr Rep. 2019 January ; 8 : 1-10. Pubmed PMID: 30649714
- Reesor L, Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Hernandez DC. "School-based weight management program curbs summer weight gain among low-income Hispanic middle school students." J School Health. 2019 January ; 89 (1): 59-67. Pubmed PMID: 30506696
- Vaughan EM, Johnston CA, Cardenas VJ, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP "Integrating CHWs as part of the team leading diabetes group visits: A randomized controlled feasibility study." Diabetes Educ. 2017 December ; 43 (6): 589-99. Pubmed PMID: 29047326
- Arlinghaus KR, Moreno JP, Reesor L, Hernandez DC, Johnston CA "Compañeros: High school students mentor middle school students to address obesity among Hispanic adolescents." Prev Chronic Dis. 2017 October ; 14 : E92. Pubmed PMID: 29023233
- Moreno JP, Vézina-Im LA, Vaughan EM, Baranowski T. "Impact of child summertime obesity interventions on body mass index, and weight-related behaviours: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol.." BMJ Open. 2017 October ; 7 (10): e017144. Pubmed PMID: 29061614
- Vézina-Im LA, Moreno JP, Thompson D, Nicklas TA, Baranowski T "Individual, social and environmental determinants of sleep among women: Protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis." BMJ Open. 2017 June ; 7 (6): e016592. Pubmed PMID: 28615278
- Vézina-Im LA, Moreno JP, Nicklas TA, Baranowski T "Behavioral interventions to promote adequate sleep among women: protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis." Syst Rev. 2017 May ; 6 (1): 95. Pubmed PMID: 28490370
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Hernandez DC, Reichek B, Foreyt JP "Dissemination of a school-based obesity intervention for Mexican Americans: A randomized controlled trial." Health Behav Policy Rev. 2017 4 (5): 454-65.
- Vaughan EM, Moreno JP, Hyman D, Chen TA, Foreyt JP "Efficacy of oral versus insulin therapy for newly diagnosed diabetes in low-income settings." Arch Gen Intern Med. 2017 1 (2): 17-22. Pubmed PMID: 29517061
- Moreno JP, Vaughan E, Hernandez D, Cameron RT, Foreyt JP, Johnston CA "The impact of acculturation level on weight status and weight outcomes in Mexican American children." J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2016 December ; 3 (4): 582-9. Pubmed PMID: 27294753
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Hernandez DC, LeNoble J, Papaioannou MA, Foreyt JP. "Impact of parental weight status on a school-based weight management programme designed for Mexican-American children.." Pediatr Obes. 2016 October ; 11 (5): 354-60. Pubmed PMID: 26437922
- Chen TA, Baranowski T, Moreno JP, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Kimbro RT, Johnston CA. "Obesity status trajectory groups among elementary school children.." BMC Public Health. 2016 July 7; 16 : 526. Pubmed PMID: 27387030
- Chen TA, Baranowski T, Moreno JP, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Kimbro RT, Johnston CA. "Obesity status transitions across the elementary years: use of Markov chain modelling.." Pediatr Obes. 2016 April ; 11 (2): 88-94. Pubmed PMID: 25854860
- Vaughan EM, Cardenas VJ, Moreno JP "A student directed curriculum to overcome nutrition education barriers in medical school." Journal of Postdoctoral Research. 2016 March ; 4 (3): 22-6.
- Moreno JP, Mohammed A, Moore CE, Johnston C "Benefits of a snacking intervention as part of a school-based obesity intervention for Mexican American children." J Appl Res Child. 2015 6 (2): 15.
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Chen TA, O'Connor TA, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Baranowski T. "Seasonal variability in weight change during elementary school." Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015 February ; 23 (2): 422-8. Pubmed PMID: 25557689
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP "Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes." Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2014 December ; 16 (12): 457. Pubmed PMID: 25288176
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP "Development of a school-based obesity intervention for Mexican Americans." Clin Pract Pediatr Psychol. 2014 June ; 2 (2): 116-30.
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Chen TA, Stansberry SA, Woehler D "Impact of pediatric obesity on grades in elementary school." J Appl Res Child. 2014 5 (1): 11.
- Baranowski T, O'Connor T, Johnston C, Hughes S, Moreno J, Chen TA, Meltzer L, Baranowski J "School year versus summer differences in child weight gain: A narrative review." Child Obes. 2014 February ; 10 (1): 18-24. Pubmed PMID: 24367922
- Johnston CA, Rost S, Miller-Kovach K, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP "A randomized controlled trial of a community-based behavioral counseling program." Am J Med. 2013 December ; 126 (12): 1143.e19-24. Pubmed PMID: 24135513
- McFarlin BK, Johnson CA, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP "Mexican-American children have different elevation of metabolic biomarkers that is proportional to obesity status." J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013 December ; 57 (6): 718-21. Pubmed PMID: 23945313
- McFarlin BK, Johnston CJ, Carpenter KC, Davidson T, Moreno JL, Strohacker K, Breslin WL, Foreyt JP "A one-year school-based diet/exercise intervention improves non-traditional disease biomarkers in Mexican-American children." Matern Child Nutr. 2013 October ; 9 (4): 524-32. Pubmed PMID: 22458649
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Gallagher MR, Wang J, Papaioannou MA, Tyler C, Foreyt JP "Achieving long-term weight maintenance in Mexican American adolescents with a school-based intervention." J Adolesc Health. 2013 September ; 53 (3): 335-41. Pubmed PMID: 23727501
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Woehler D "Changes in weight over the school year and summer vacation: results of a 5-year longitudinal study.." J Sch Health. 2013 July ; 83 (7): 473-7. Pubmed PMID: 23782089
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, El-Mubasher AA, Papaioannou MA, Tyler C, Gee M, Foreyt JP "Peanut consumption in adolescents is associated with improved weight status." Nutr Res. 2013 July ; 33 (7): 552-6. Pubmed PMID: 23827129
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, El-Mubasher A, Gallagher M, Tyler C, Woehler D "Impact of a school-based pediatric obesity prevention program facilitated by health professionals.." J Sch Health. 2013 March ; 83 (3): 171-81. Pubmed PMID: 23343318
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, El-Mubasher A, Woehler D "School lunches and lunches brought from home: a comparative analysis.." Child Obes. 2012 August ; 8 (4): 364-8. Pubmed PMID: 22867076
- Johnston CA, Moreno JP, Regas K, Tyler C, Foreyt JP "The application of the Yerkes-Dodson law in a childhood weight management program: examining weight dissatisfaction." J Pediatr Psychol. 2012 July ; 37 (6): 674-9. Pubmed PMID: 22381646
- Breslin WL, Johnston CA, Strohacker K, Carpenter KC, Davidson TR, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP, McFarlin BK "Obese Mexican American children have elevated MCP-1, TNF-α, monocyte concentration, and dyslipidemia." Pediatrics. 2012 May ; 129 (5): e1180-6. Pubmed PMID: 22473371
- Johnston CA, Tyler C, Stansberry SA, Moreno JP, Foreyt JP "Brief repot: Gum chewing affects standardized math scores in adolescents." J Adolesc. 2012 April ; 35 (2): 455-9. Pubmed PMID: 21620465
- Moreno JP, Kelley ML, Landry DN, Paasch V, Terlecki MA, Johnston CA, Foreyt JP "Development and validation of the Family Health Behavior Scale.." Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011 June ; 6 (41307): e480-6. Pubmed PMID: 21615229
- Johnston CA, Palcic JL, Tyler C, Stansberry S, Reeves RS, Foreyt JP "Increasing vegetable intake in Mexican American youth: A randomized controlled trial." J Am Diet Assoc. 2011 May ; 111 (5): 716-20. Pubmed PMID: 21515118
- Johnston CA, Tyler C, Palcic JL, Stansberry SA, Gallagher MR, Foreyt JP "Smaller weight changes in standardized body mass index in response to treatment as weight classification increases." J Pediatr. 2011 April ; 158 (4): 624-7. Pubmed PMID: 21035822
- Johnston CA, Fullerton G, Moreno JP, Tyler C, Foreyt JP "Evaluation of treatment effects in obese children with co-morbid medical or psychiatric conditions.." Georgian Med News. 2011 (196): 93-100. Pubmed PMID: 21873759
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Sleep Research Society
- Society for Research on Biological Rhythms
- Pediatric Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association- Division 54
- Understanding Childhood Obesity (01/01/2016 - 12/31/2017) Mullen Foundation
- This mixed methods study explored causes of summertime increases in standardized body mass index in children.
- Differences in Children’s Sleep and Circadian Rhythms during the School Year and Summer Vacation (07/01/2016 - 03/31/2018) Grant funding from Texas Children's Pediatric Pilot Research Fund
- This research proposes to examine differences in children’s sleep habits and behavioral rhythms during the summer and school year and the association with children’s weight status.
- The i♥rhythm project: Healthy sleep and behavioral rhythms for obesity prevention - #K99HD091396 (07/12/2017 - 06/30/2019) Grant funding from NICHD
- Summer is a time during which children’s risk of obesity increases substantially, yet there is a paucity of interventions to prevent summer increases in BMI. Disrupted sleep patterns and behavioral rhythms, which may occur in the transition from the school year to summer vacation, have been implicated in the onset of obesity. The i♥rhythm project, will adapt Interpersonal Social Rhythm Therapy to promote stable behavioral rhythms during summer vacation for the prevention of obesity in young elementary school children.
- The i♥rhythm project: Healthy sleep and behavioral rhythms for obesity prevention - #R00HD091396 (07/01/2019 - 06/30/2022) Grant funding from NICHD
- The i♥rhythm project, will examine the feasibility of an interactive mobile health intervention to promote stable behavioral rhythms during summer vacation for the prevention of obesity in young elementary school children.
Log In to edit your profile