Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Jamail Specialty Care Center - Alkek Eye Center (Clinic)
1977 Butler Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
- OD from University of Houston
- Houston, Texas
- BS from University of Houston
- Houston, Texas
- Board Certified, Glaucoma
- Texas Optometry Board
- Board Certified, Ocular Therapeutics
- Texas Optometry Board
- American Board of Optometry
- Management of complex contact lens application involving eyes with corneal disease.
- Pre and Post-Op management of cataract and refractive surgery patients.
- Space flight vision-related issues and complications.
Professional StatementDr Keith Manuel is a Diplomate, American Board of Optometry. In addition to private practice he holds Adjunct faculty and staff positions at University of Houston College of Optometry, University of Incarnate Word, Rosenberg School of Optometry and Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology.
For 16 years Dr Manuel served as Senior Vision Consultant to NASA’s Johnson Space Center, Flight Medicine Clinic for optometric services to all astronauts and space related vision matters. In this capacity he coordinated all vision care for the astronaut corps as well as all eye related activities prior to, during and following over 100 space flights. He provided sentinel research in 1989 for NASA establishing the safety and efficacy of corneal contact lens use in the micro-gravity environment of space flight and subsequent to this year-long study he established and served as Chief of the Vision Services branch for NASA. He has served as co-investigator, collaborator and advisor on several multi-institutional NASA research projects evaluating the effects of micro-gravity in space flight on cataract formation, alterations in retinal and cerebral vascular blood flow as well as laser refractive surgery efficacy in space flight. He has authored numerous publications to include the ophthalmic chapter author in Principles of Clinical Medicine for Space Flight, now in it’s second printing.
He is the founding member of a multi-disciplinary private practice that has served the Houston-Bay Area for over 30 years as well as providing an intern training site for the University of Houston College of Optometry. He has recently retired in the rank of Colonel following 28 years of service to the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard. Among his many assignments he served as one of optometry’s first Medical Group Commanders and as Special Assistant to the Surgeon General of the Air Force advising on matters of policy, operations and utilization of Air National Guard assets worldwide.
- M Barrat, S Pool, (FK Manuel, T Mader, authors Ophthalmology Chapter) "Book: Principles of Clinical Medicine for Space Flight." Second Publication pending. 2008 :
- RR Ansari, FK Manuel, KI Suh, JF Kning, RK Messer, F Moret, "The Study of Choroidal Circulation during Transient Zero Gravity and Hyper Gravity Phases of Parabolic Flight Using Laser Doppler Flowmetry." NASA Internal Report. 2013 :
- TJ Pattison, CR Gibson, FK Manuel "The Effects of Betaxolol Hydrochloride Ophthalmic Solution on Intraocular Pressures During Transient Migrogravity." Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine. 1999 : Pubmed PMID: 10519481
- F. K. Manuel, C.R. Gibson "NASA Contact Lens Study - The Care and Performance of Contact Lenses in the Microgravity Environment of Spaceflight." NASA Internal Study. 1989 :
- LT Chylack, LE Peterson, FK Manuel, et al "Cataract Formation Mechanisms and Risk in Aviation and Space Crews." Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine. 2007 :
- LT Chylack, LE Peterson, FK Manuel, et al, "NASA Study of Cataracts in Astronauts (NASCA). Report 1: Cross-Sectional Study of the Relationship of Exposure to Space Radiation and Risk of Lens Opacity." Radiation Research. 2009 :
- FA Cucinotta, FK Manuel, J Jones, et al "Space Radiation and Cataracts in Astronauts." Radiation Research. 2001 :
- F. K. Manuel "Design and Development of Scleral Contact Lens for the Study of VOR / Eye Movements." NASA Internal Study. 1988 :
- F.K.Manuel, M. Caputo "Evaluation of Vision Impairment Induced by High Altitude Helmet Visor Heater Element." NASA Internal Study. 1993 :
- FK Manuel, CR Gibson "Federal Aviation Administration Task Specific Lens Study Investigating Mult-Focal Lens (PAL) Design for En-Route Air Traffic Controllers." FAA Internal Report. 1992 :
- FA Cucinotta, FK Manuel, LT Chylack, Jr "Precise Assessment of Prevalence and Progression Rates of Lens Opacities in Astronauts as a Function of Radiation Exposure during Space Flight and Development of Improved Routine Clinical Assessment of Ocular Lens Status." NASA Internal Report. 2009 :
- FK Manuel, M Caputo "The Application of Small Earth Stations for Conducting Telemedicine." NASA Internal Study. 1994 :
- FK Manuel, Yvonne Cagle (Astronaut), JR Knowles "A Comparative Study of Proview, Tonopen and Goldmann Tonometers for the Measurement of Intraocular Pressure in Space Flight." NASA Internal Report. 2007 :
- American Optometric Association
- Center for Space Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
- Association of American Association of Military Surgeons of United States
Log In to edit your profile