Craig Rusin, Ph.D.
Craig Rusin, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
- Adjunct Assistant Professor
Computational and Applied Mathematics
- BS from Princeton University
- 06/2001 - Princeton, New Jersey
- Chemical Engineering
- PhD from University Of Virginia
- 06/2009 - Charlottesville, Virginia
- Chemical Engineering, Applied Nonlinear Dynamics
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at University Of Virginia Medical School
- 01/2010 - Charlottesville, Virginia
- Cardiovascular Medicine
Professional StatementEach day, in hospitals across the country, patients experience life-threatening events. Their survival often depends on the fast reaction of the experienced care providers who watch constantly over them. But all too often, care staff have very little warning of impending deterioration. By the time overt symptoms appear, the damage has already been done. My research focuses on developing computer algorithms which can be used to constantly watch over patients, and provide early warnings of life-threatening events. This is possible because acute decomposition does not manifest instantaneously. It builds up over a short period of time, changing the physiologic dynamics of the patient in the process. These precursors can be subtle and hard for a human to see, given the level of noise in patient data, but a computer can be trained to detect such patterns. By using technology to anticipate such events in real-time, care can be provided proactively instead of reactively, which has tremendous potential for improving survival in critically ill patients. This represents a fundamental shift in the way that traditional patient monitoring and surveillance has been conducted over the last 50 years.
- Hu C, Rusin CG, Tan Z, Guagliardo NA, Barrett PQ "Zona glomerulosa cells of the mouse adrenal cortex are intrinsic electrical oscillators.." J. Clin. Invest..2012/June1;122(6):2046-53. Pubmed PMID: 22546854
- C.J. Rhee, C.D. Fraser III, K. Kibler, R.B. Easley, D.B. Andropoulos, M. Czosnyka, G.V. Varsos, P. Smielewski, C.G. Rusin, K.M. Brady, J.R. Kaiser "The Ontogeny of Cerebrovascular Pressure Autoregulation in Premature Infants." J. Perinatology..2014/December;34(12):926-931.
- C.D. 3rd Fraser, K.M. Brady, C.J. Rhee, R.B. Easley, K. Kibler, P. Smielewski, M. Czosnyka, D.W. Kaczka, D.B. Andropoulos, C.G. Rusin "The frequency response of cerebral autoregulation." J Appl Physiol.2013/July;115(1):52-56.
- Rusin CG, Kori H, Kiss IZ, Hudson JL "Synchronization engineering: tuning the phase relationship between dissimilar oscillators using nonlinear feedback." Philos Transact A Math Phys Eng Sci.2010/May13;368(1918):2189-204. Pubmed PMID: 20368241
- Kori H, Rusin CG, Kiss IZ, Hudson JL "Synchronization engineering: theoretical framework and application to dynamical clustering.." Chaos. 2008 June ; 18 (2): 26111. Pubmed PMID: 18601513
- Blaha KA, Pikovsky A, Rosenblum M, Clark MT, Rusin CG, Hudson JL "Reconstruction of two-dimensional phase dynamics from experiments on coupled oscillators.." Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2011 October ; 84 (4): 46201. Pubmed PMID: 22181239
- Moorman JR, Rusin CE, Lee H, Guin LE, Clark MT, Delos JB, Kattwinkel J, Lake DE "Predictive monitoring for early detection of subacute potentially catastrophic illnesses in critical care.." Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011 August ; 2011 : 5515-8. Pubmed PMID: 22255587
- A.D. Politano, L.M. Riccio, D.E. Lake. C.G. Rusin, L.E. Guin, C.S. Josef, M.T. Clark, R.G. Sawyer, J.R. Moorman, J.F. Calland "Predicting the need for urgent intubation in a surgical/trauma intensive care unit." Surgery. 2013 November ; 154 (5): 1110.
- Brady KM, Easley RB, Kibler K, Kaczka DW, Andropoulos D, Fraser CD, Smielewski P, Czosnyka M, Adams GJ, Rhee CJ, Rusin CG "Positive end-expiratory pressure oscillation facilitates brain vascular reactivity monitoring.." J. Appl. Physiol.. 2012 November ; 113 (9): 1362-8. Pubmed PMID: 22984248
- • S. Acosta, C. Puelz, B. Riviere, D.J. Penny, C.G. Rusin "Numerical Method of Characteristics for One-Dimensional Blood Flow." J. Comp. Phys.. 2015 294 : 96.
- • C.G. Rusin, I.Z. Kiss, H. Kori, and J.L. Hudson "Framework for Engineering the Collective Behavior of Complex Rhythmic Systems." Ind Eng Chem Res. 2009 48 (21): 9416-9422.
- Rusin CG, Johnson SE, Kapur J, Hudson JL "Engineering the synchronization of neuron action potentials using global time-delayed feedback stimulation.." Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2011 December ; 84 (6): 66202. Pubmed PMID: 22304173
- Rusin CG, Tokuda I, Kiss IZ, Hudson JL "Engineering of synchronization and clustering of a population of chaotic chemical oscillators." Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl.. 2011 October 17; 50 (43): 10212-5. Pubmed PMID: 21472935
- Kiss IZ, Rusin CG, Kori H, Hudson JL "Engineering complex dynamical structures: sequential patterns and desynchronization.." Science. 2007 June 29; 316 (5833): 1886-9. Pubmed PMID: 17525302
- Clark MT, Rusin CG, Hudson JL, Lee H, Delos JB, Guin LE, Vergales BD, Paget-Brown A, Kattwinkel J, Lake DE, Moorman JR "Breath-by-breath analysis of cardiorespiratory interaction for quantifying developmental maturity in premature infants.." J. Appl. Physiol.. 2012 March ; 112 (5): 859-67. Pubmed PMID: 22174403
- Zagol K, Lake DE, Vergales B, Moorman ME, Paget-Brown A, Lee H, Rusin CG, Delos JB, Clark MT, Moorman JR, Kattwinkel J "Anemia, apnea of prematurity, and blood transfusions.." J. Pediatr.. 2012 September ; 161 (3): 417-421.e1. Pubmed PMID: 22494873
- S. Acosta, D.J. Penny, C.G Rusin "An effective model of blood flow in capillary beds." Microvascular Research. 2015 July ; 100 : 40-47.
- B.D. Vergales, A.O. Paget-Brown, H. Lee, L.E. Guin, T.J. Smoot, C.G. Rusin, M.T Clark, J.B. Delos, K.D. Fairchild, D.E. Lake, R. Moorman, J. Kattwinkel "Accurate automated apnea analysis in preterm infants." Am. J. Perinatol.. 2014 February ; 31 (2): 157-162.
- Lee H, Rusin CG, Lake DE, Clark MT, Guin L, Smoot TJ, Paget-Brown AO, Vergales BD, Kattwinkel J, Moorman JR, Delos JB "A new algorithm for detecting central apnea in neonates.." Physiol Meas. 2012 January ; 33 (1): 41291. Pubmed PMID: 22156193
- Real-Time Predictive Physiological Monitoring for Improving Patient Outcomes after Stage I Palliation Grant funding from Pediatric Heart Network (PHN) Scholar Award, supported by NHLBI
- Development of a novel patient monitoring system for post-operative patients after stage I palliation (S1P) to predict unexpected sudden deterioration and allow for early clinical intervention.
Log In to edit your profile