- Surgical Director, Heart Transplantation
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
- Associate Professor of Surgery
Division of Cardiothoracic Transplant and Circulatory Support
Baylor College of Medicine
- Heart and Lung Transplant Center (Clinic)
Texas Heart Institute at Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (832) 355-3000
- Clinical Fellowship at Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Heart Failure and Transplantation
- Clinical Fellowship at Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Thoracic Surgery
- Residency at University of South Florida College of Medicine
- General Surgery
- MD from University of South Florida College of Medicine
- BS from Boston College
- Chestnut Hill,
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Primary Heart & Lung Transplant Surgeon
- Heart & Lung Transplant
- Cardiac Surgery
Professional StatementDr. Alexis Shafii is a cardiothoracic surgeon with expertise in thoracic transplantation and adult cardiac surgery. His clinical focus includes thoracic organ failure, heart and lung transplantation as well as implantation of mechanical circulatory support devices. He is the surgical director of the heart transplant program at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, and previously directed transplant programs at major medical centers in Dallas and Kentucky.
Dr. Shafii also treats adult acquired cardiac diseases, including coronary artery disease, heart valve disease, and aortic pathologies. His research efforts focus on heart and lung transplantation, ventricular assist devices, and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
- Rajagopalan N, Shafii A, Dennis D, Charnigo R, Sekela M "Increasing Heart Transplant Volume by Expansion of Donor Heart Selection Criteria: A Single Center Analysis." Tranplant Proc. 2020
- Nguyen D, Loor G, Carrott P, Shafii A "Review of Donor and Recipient Surgical Procedures in Lung Transplantation." J Thorac Dis. 2019
- Ahmad O, Shafii AE, Mannino DM, Choate R, Baz MA "Impact of Donor Lung Pathogenic Bacteria on Patient Outcomes in the Immediate Post-Transplant Period." Transplant Infectious Disease.
- Alnabelsi T, Shafii AE, Gurley JC, Dulnuan K, Harris DD, Guglin M "Left Ventricular Assist Device Outflow Graft Obstruction: A Complication Specific to Polytetrafluoroethylene Covering: A Word of Caution!." ASAIO J. 2018
- Roberts W, Shafii A, Grayburn P, Mi Ko J, Weissenbron M, Rosenblatt R, Guileyards J "Clinical and Morphologic Features of Acute, Subacute, and Chronic Cor Pulmonale (Pulmonary Heart Disease)." Am J Cardiol.
- Elgharably H, Shafii AE, Mason DP "Expanding the Donor Pool: Donation after Cardiac Death." Thorac Surg Clin. 2015
- Shafii A, Mason D, Brown C, Thuita L, Murthy S, Budev M, Pettersson G, Blackstone E "Too High for Transplantation? Single-Center Analysis of the Lung Allocation Score." Ann Thorac Surg. 2014
- Shafii A, Chamogeorgakis T, Mountis M, Gonzalez-Stawinski G "Fate of Retained Temporary Right Ventricular Assist Device Outflow Grafts After Right Ventricular Recovery." J Heart Lung Transplant.
- Shafii A, McCurry K "Subclavian Insertion of the Bicaval Dual Lumen Cannula for Venovenous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation." Ann Thorac Surg. 2012
- Shafii A, Mason D, Vakil N, Pettersson G, Murthy S "Growing Experience with Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as a Bridge to Lung Transplantation." ASAIO.
- Shafii A, Su J, Smedira N, Navia J, Taylor D, Starling R, Gonzalez-Stawinski G "The effect of recipient hepatitis C virus infection on outcomes following heart transplantation." Tranplant Proc.
- Shafii A, Gillinov M, Mihaljevic T, Stewart W, Batizy L, Blackstone E "Changes in Left Ventricular Morphology and Function after Mitral Valve Surgery." Am J Cardiol.
- Shafii AE, Harris DD, Baz M "Clearance of Hepatitis C Virus Prior to Lung Transplantation: A Case Report." Tranplant Proc.
- Carmichael SP, Bounds MC, Shafii AE, Chang PK "Emergency Department Repair of Blunt Right Atrial Rupture Utilizing Cardiopulmonary Bypass." Trauma Case Reports.
- Rajagopalan N, Shafii AE, Sekela ME "Gender Mismatch with Female Donor Hearts to Male Recipients: A Single Center Analysis." J Heart Lung Transplant.
- Harris D, Shafii A, Baz M, Tribble T, Ferraris V "Increased Blood Transfusion and Its Impact in Patients Having Tracheostomy While on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation." Perfusion.
- Touchan J, Shafii A, Guglin M "Ligation of the Outflow Graft of the Left Ventricular Assist Device for Management of Hemolysis Due to Pump Thrombosis." The VAD Journal.
- Shafii A, Chamogeorgakis T, Gonzalez-Stawinski G "Omental Flap Transposition with Intra-Abdominal Relocation for LVAD Pump-Pocket Infection." J Heart Lung Transplant.
- Rajagopalan N, Dennis DR, Mooney T, Tribble T, Tessmann P, Shafii A, Sekela ME "Successful One-Year Survival in Heart Transplant Recipients Requiring Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Primary Graft Dysfunction." J Heart Lung Transplant.
- Parks A, George B, Shafii A, Smith M, Guglin M "The Utility of Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography after Left Ventricular Assist Device Implant: A Case Report." The VAD Journal.
- Rajagopalan N, Shafii AE, Sekela ME "Too Big to Fail: Using Obese Donors for Heart Transplantation." J Heart Lung Tr.
- Rajagopalan N, Dennis DR, Ross HL, Tessmann P, Shafii A, Sekela ME "Utilizing Expanded Donor Selection Criteria for Heart Transplantation: A Single Center Experience." J Heart Lung Transplant.
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- The International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation
Log In to edit your profile