- Texas Children's Hospital Clinical Care Center (Clinic)
- Residents' Primary Care Group 6701 Fannin Street 17th floor Houston, Texas 77030 United States (832) 822-3436
- USDA/ARS Children's Nutrition Research Center 1100 Bates St; Room: CNRC-2034 Mail Stop: BCM320 Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-6782 email@example.com
- Associate Professor
- Nutrition; and Academic General Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- Adjunct Member
- Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas, United States
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- MPH from University of Texas School of Public Health
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine
- MD from University Of Wisconsin Medical School
- BS from University of Wisconsin
Teresia O’Connor is a board certified, practicing general pediatrician and fellowship trained clinician researcher. Her research focuses on
a) Identifying strategies to best prevent and treat childhood obesity.
b) Providing better understanding of how parents (fathers and mothers) influence their children’s obesity-related behaviors through the framework of parenting styles and parenting practices.
c) Assessing how to use technology to improve the measurement of children’s obesity-related behaviors.
Dr. O’Connor’s current research includes a collaborative project with electrical engineers at Rice University (co-principle investigators (PI): O’Connor/ Veeraraghavan) to develop an objective, unobtrusive, automatic, privacy preserving screen use monitoring system that should drastically improve how children’s screen media use is measured (R01 DK113269); and a project to assess the validity and reliability of a program to simultaneously process young children’s objective physical activity data with location data (GPS) to identify the context in which children are physically active (USDA-ARS 3092-5-001-058). She is the PI on a preparatory grant for a clinical trial to culturally adapt ‘Healthy Dads Healthy Kids’ for Latino/Hispanic families using the Ecological Validity Model (EVM) and test the feasibility of the adapted program in a community clinic in Houston (R34 HL131726-01); and a co-investigator on a multi-site cluster RCT led by Seattle Children’s Research Center to assess the efficacy of a culturally adapted screen media reduction intervention delivered in Head Start centers for Latino children (R01 DK11300501A1). She has multiple publications on the role parents play in influencing children’s obesity related behaviors, including recent collaborative work with Dr. Louise Masse at the University of British Columbia, to develop consensus methods for researchers to measure food and physical activity parenting practices (CIHR MOP-119359; PI Masse).
- Arlinghaus KR, Vollrath K, Hernandez DC, Momin SR, O’Connor TM, Power TG, Hughes SO. "Authoritative parent feeding style is associated with better child dietary quality at dinner among low-income minority families." Am J Clin Nutr. 2018 October;108(4):730-6. Pubmed PMID: 30169719
- O’Connor TM, Perez O, Colón Garcia I, Gallagher M. "Engaging Latino fathers in children’s eating and other obesity-related behaviors: A review." Curr Nutr Rep. 2018 May;7(2):29-38.
- Silva Garcia K, Power TG, Beck AD, Fisher JO, Goodell LS, Johnson SL, O’Connor TM, Hughes SO. "Stability in the feeding practices and styles of low-income mothers: Questionnaire and observational analyses." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018 March;15:28. Pubmed PMID: 29566714
- O'Connor T, Sisley S, Bacha F. "The Overweight or Obese Child. In: Kline M, Blaney S, Giardino A, Orange J, Penny D, Schutze G, and Shekerdemian L (Eds) Rudolph’s Pediatrics, edition 23. New York NY: The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc. 2018, Chapter 24 (available online first).." 2018 January
- Rudy E, Bauer KW, Hughes SO, O'Connor TM, Vollrath K, Davey A, Correa NEM, Chen TA, Fisher JO. "Interrelationships of child appetite, weight and snacking among Hispanic preschoolers." Pediatr Obes. 2018 January;13(1):38-45. Pubmed PMID: 27780312
- Tu AW, O'Connor TM, Beauchamp MR, Hughes SO, Baranowski T, Mâsse LC. "What do US and Canadian parents do to encourage or discourage physical activity among their 5-12 Year old children?." BMC Public Health. 2017 December;17:920. Pubmed PMID: 29191203
- Ugalde M, Brand L, Beltran A, Dadabhoy H, Chen TA, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski T, Buday R, Nicklas TA, Baranowski J. "Mommio's recipe box: Assessment of the cooking habits of mothers of preschoolers and their perceptions of recipes for a video game." JMIR Serious Games. 2017 October;5(4):e20. Pubmed PMID: 29042344
- O’Connor TM, Mâsse LC, Tu AW, Watts AW, Hughes SO, Beauchamp MR, Baranowski T, Pham T, Berge JM, Fiese B, Golley R, Hingle M, Kremers SPJ, Rhee KE, Skouteris H, Vaughn A. "Food parenting practices for 5 to 12 year old children: A concept map analysis of parenting and nutrition experts input." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017 September;14:122. Pubmed PMID: 28893273
- Galindo L, Power TG, Beck AD, Fisher JO, O’Connor TM, Hughes SO. "Predicting preschool children’s eating in the absence of hunger from maternal pressure to eat: A longitudinal study of low-income, Latina mothers." Appetite. 2017 September;120:281-6. Pubmed PMID: 28899652
- Soltero EG, Cerin E, Lee RE, O'Connor TM. "Associations between objective and self-report measures of traffic and crime safety in Latino parents of preschool children." J Immigr Minor Health. 2017 October;19(5):1109-20. Pubmed PMID: 27680746
- Mâsse LC, O'Connor TM, Tu AW, Hughes SO, Beauchamp MR, Baranowski T. "Conceptualizing physical activity parenting practices using expert informed concept mapping analysis." BMC Public Health. 2017 June;17:574. Pubmed PMID: 28615050
- Beltran A, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Thompson D, Baranowski J, Nicklas TA, Baranowski T. "Parents' qualitative perspectives on child asking for fruit and vegetables." Nutrients. 2017 June;9:575. Pubmed PMID: 28587236
- Power TG, Olivera YA, Hill, RA, Beck AD, Hopwood V, Garcia KS, Ramos GG, Fisher JO, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO. "Emotion regulation strategies and childhood obesity in high risk preschoolers." Appetite. 2016 December;107:623-7. Pubmed PMID: 27620645
- Masse LC, O'Connor TM, Tu AW, Watts AW, Beauchamp M, Hughes SO, Baranowski T. "Are the physical activity parenting practices reported by US and Canadian parents captured in currently published instruments?." J Phys Act Health. 2016 October;13(10):1070-8. Pubmed PMID: 27253269
- Raber M, Swartz MC, Santa Maria D, O'Connor T, Baranowski T, Li R, Chandra J. "Parental involvement in exercise and diet interventions for childhood cancer survivors: A systematic review." Pediatr Res. 2016 September;80(3):358-46. Pubmed PMID: 27064243
- O'Connor TM, Pham T, Watts AW, Tu AW, Hughes SO, Beauchamp MR, Baranowski T, Mâsse LC. "Development of an item bank for food parenting practices based on published instruments and reports from Canadian and US parents." Appetite. 2016 August;103:386-95. Pubmed PMID: 27131416
- Silva Garcia K, Power TG, Fisher JO, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO. "Latina mothers' influences on child appetite regulation." Appetite. 2016 August;103:200-7. Pubmed PMID: 27083128
- Chen TA, Baranowski T, Moreno JP, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Kimbro RT, Johnston CA. "Obesity status trajectory groups among elementary school children." BMC Public Health. 2016 July;16:526. Pubmed PMID: 27387030
- Hughes SO, Power TG, O’Connor TM, Fisher JO, Chen TA. "Maternal feeding styles and food parenting practices as predictors of longitudinal changes in weight status in Hispanic preschoolers from low-income families." J Obes. 2016 June;2016:7201082.
- Diep CS, Beltran A, Chen TA, Thompson D, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Baranowski J, Baranowski T. "Relating use of effective responsive, structure, and non-directive control vegetable parenting practices to subscales from the Model of Goal Directed Beha." Int J Child Health Nutr. 2016 June;5(2):45-55.
- Brand L, Beltran A, Hughes S, O'Connor T, Baranowski J, Nicklas T, Chen TA, Dadabhoy HR, Diep CS, Buday R, Baranowski T. "Assessing feedback in a mobile videogame." Games Health J. 2016 June;5(3):203-8. Pubmed PMID: 27058403
- Chen TA, Baranowski T, Moreno JP, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Kimbro RT, Johnston CA. "Obesity status transitions across the elementary years: use of Markov chain modelling." Pediatr Obes. 2016 April;11(2):88-94. Pubmed PMID: 25854860
- Cerin E, Baranowski T, Barnett A, Butte N, Hughes S, Lee RE, Mendoza JA, Thompson D. "Places where preschoolers are (in)active: an observational study on Latino preschoolers and their parents using objective measures." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016 February 29;13:29. Pubmed PMID: 26928561
- Vaughn AE, Ward DS, Fisher JO, Faith MS, Hughes SO, Kremers SP, Musher-Eizenman DR, O'Connor TM, Patrick H, Power TG. "Fundamental constructs in food parenting practices: A content map to guide future research." Nutr Rev. 2016 February;74(2):98-117. Pubmed PMID: 26724487
- Baranowski T, Chen TA, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Diep CS, Beltran A, Brand L, Nicklas T, Baranowski J. "Predicting habits of vegetable parenting practices to facilitate the design of change programmes." Public Health Nutr. 2016;19(11):1976-82. Pubmed PMID: 26634349
- Power TG, O'Connor TM, Fisher JO, Hughes SO. "Obesity risk in children: The role of acculturation in the feeding practices and styles of low-income Hispanic families." Child Obes. 2015 December;11(6):715-21. Pubmed PMID: 26584157
- Cerin E, O'Connor TM, Mendoza JA, Thompson DI, Lee RE, Hughes SO, Baranowski T. "A child-centered scale of informal social control for Latino parents of preschool-age children: Development and validation." Hisp J Behav Sci. 2015 November;37(4):541-59.
- Joseph S, Stevens AM, Ledoux T, O'Connor TM, O'Connor DP, Thompson D. "Rationale, design, and methods for process evaluation in the Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration project." J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015;47(6):560-5. Pubmed PMID: 26298514
- Brand L, Beltran A, Buday R, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Baranowski J, Diep C, Lu AS, Baranowski T. "Prose fiction as a narrative companion for a vegetable parenting videogame." Games Health J. 2015 August;4(4):305-11. Pubmed PMID: 26182218
- Brand L, Beltran A, Buday R, O'Connor T, Baranowski J, Dadabhoy HR, Diep CS, Baranowski T. "Training vegetable parenting practices through a mobile game: Iterative qualitative alpha test." JMIR Serious Games. 2015 July;3(2):e6. Pubmed PMID: 26208899
- Johnson L, Chen TA, Hughes SO, O'Connor TM. "The association of parent's outcome expectations for child TV viewing with parenting practices and child TV viewing: an examination using path analysis." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015;12:70. Pubmed PMID: 26013560
- Diep CS, Beltran A, Chen TA, Thompson D, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Baranowski J, Baranowski T. "Predicting use of effective vegetable parenting practices with the Model of Goal Directed Behavior." Public Health Nutr. 2015 June;18(8):1389-96. Pubmed PMID: 25234656
- Hughes SO, Power TG, O'Connor TM, Fisher JO. "Executive functioning, emotion regulation, eating self-regulation, and weight status in low-income preschool children: How do they relate?." Appetite. 2015;89:1-9. Pubmed PMID: 25596501
- Chen TA, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Beltran A, Baranowski J, Diep C, Baranowski T. "Vegetable parenting practices scale: item response modeling analyses." Appetite. 2015 August;91:190-9. Pubmed PMID: 25895694
- Jauregui E, Pacheco AM, Soltero EG4, O'Connor TM, Castro CM, Estabrooks PA, McNeill LH, Lee RE. "Using the RE-AIM framework to evaluate physical activity public health programs in México." BMC Public Health. 2015 February;15:162. Pubmed PMID: 25881249
- O’Connor DP, Lee RE, Mehta P, Thompson D, Bhargava A, Carlson C, Kao D, Layne CS, Ledoux T, O’Connor T, Rifai H, Gulley L, Hallett AM, Kudia O, Joseph S, Modelska M, Ortega D, Parker N, Stevens A, EC-CORD (BETTER Policies) Team. "Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration Project: Cross-site evaluation methods." Child Obes. 2015 February;11(1):92-103. Pubmed PMID: 25679060
- Moreno JP, Johnston CA, Chen TA, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Baranowski J, Woehler D, Baranowski T. "Seasonal variability in weight change during elementary school." Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015;23(2):422-8. Pubmed PMID: 25557689
- Frazier-Wood AC, Canrell S, Pena O, Hughes SO, O'Connor TM, Asherson P, Kuntsi J. "Cognitive performance and BMI in childhood: Shared genetic influences between reaction time but not response inhibition." Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 November;22(11):2312-8. Pubmed PMID: 25376398
- O'Connor TM, Chen TA, Del Rio Rodriguez B, Hughes SO. "Psychometric validity of the parent's outcome expectations for children's television viewing (POETV) scale." BMC Public Health. 2014;14:894. Pubmed PMID: 25175279
- O'Connor TM, Cerin E, Lee RE, Parker N, Chen TA, Hughes SO, Mendoza JA, Baranowski T. "Environmental and cultural correlates of physical activity parenting practices among Latino parents with preschool-aged children: Niños Activos." BMC Public Health. 2014;14(1):707. Pubmed PMID: 25011669
- Baranowski T, Beltran A, Chen TA, Thompson D, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Diep C, Baranowski JC. "Predicting use of ineffective vegetable parenting practices with the Model of Goal Directed Behavior." Public Health Nutr. 2015 April;18(6):1028-35. Pubmed PMID: 24946833
- Frankel LA, O'Connor TM, Chen TA, Nicklas T, Power TG, Hughes SO. "Parents' perceptions of preschool children's ability to regulate eating." Appetite. 2014 May;76:166-74. Pubmed PMID: 24533968
- Sleddens EF, O'Connor TM, Watson KB, Hughes SO, Power TG, Thijs C, De Vries NK, Kremers SP. "Development of the Comprehensive General Parenting Questionnaire for caregivers of 5-13 year olds." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014;11(1):15. Pubmed PMID: 24512450
- O'Connor TM, Cerin E, Hughes SO, Robles J, Thompson DI, Mendoza JA, Baranowski T, Lee RE. "Psychometrics of the preschooler physical activity parenting practices instrument among a Latino sample." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014;11(1):3. Pubmed PMID: 24428935
- O'Connor TM. "Informing parent targeted interventions to promote increased physical activity among youth." J Appl Res Child. 2014;1(5):15.
- Baranowski T, Beltran A, Chen TA, Thompson D, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Diep C, Baranowski J. "Predicting use of ineffective responsive, structure and control vegetable parenting practices with the Model of Goal Director Behavior." J Food Res. 2014;6(2):80-8.
- Baranowski T, O'Connor T, Johnston C, Hughes S, Moreno J, Chen TA, Meltzer L, Baranowski J. "School year versus summer differences in child weight gain: a narrative review." Child Obes. 2014 February;10(1):18-24. Pubmed PMID: 24367922
- Baranowski T, Beltran A, Chen TA, Thompson D, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Diep C, Baranowski J. "Psychometric assessment of scales for a Model of Goal Directed Vegetable Parenting Practices (MGDVPP)." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013;10(1):110. Pubmed PMID: 24053779
- O'Connor TM, Chen TA, Baranowski J, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "Physical activity and screen-media-related parenting practices have different associations with children's objectively measured physical activity." Child Obes. 2013 October;9(5):446-53. Pubmed PMID: 24028564
- O'Connor TM, Cerin E, Hughes SO, Robles J, Thompson D, Baranowski T, Lee RE, Nicklas T, Shewchuk RM. "What Hispanic parents do to encourage and discourage 3-5 year old children to be active: a qualitative study using nominal group technique." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013;10:93. Pubmed PMID: 23919301
- O'Connor TM, Hingle M, Chuang RJ, Gorely T, Hinkley T, Jago R, Lanigan J, Pearson N, Thompson DA. "Conceptual understanding of screen media parenting: report of a working group." Child Obes. 2013;9:S110-8. Pubmed PMID: 23944919
- Del Rio Rodriguez B, Hilmers A, O'Connor TM. "Hispanic parents of overweight and obese children and their outcome expectations for children's television viewing: A qualitative study." J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013;45(6):718-22. Pubmed PMID: 23850016
- Baranowski T, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Sleddens E, Beltran A, Frankel L, Mendoza JA, Baranowski J. "Houston... We have a problem! Measurement of parenting." Child Obes. 2013 August;9:S1-4. Pubmed PMID: 23837847
- Baranowski T, Chen TA, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Beltran A, Frankel L, Diep C, Baranowski JC. "Dimensions of vegetable parenting practices among preschoolers." Appetite. 2013 October;69:89-93. Pubmed PMID: 23727397
- O'Connor TM, Cerin E, Robles J, Lee RE, Kerr J, Butte N, Mendoza JA, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "Feasibility study to objectively assess activity and location of Hispanic preschoolers: a short communication.." Geospat Health. 2013 May;7(2):375-80. Pubmed PMID: 23733298
- Chen TA, O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Frankel L, Baranowski J, Mendoza JA, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "TV parenting practices: is the same scale appropriate for parents of children of different ages?." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013;10:41. Pubmed PMID: 23548115
- Ledoux T, Hilmers A, Watson K, Baranowski T, O'Connor TM. "Development and feasibility of an objective measure of patient-centered communication fidelity in a pediatric obesity intervention." J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013;45(4):349-54. Pubmed PMID: 23395302
- Baranowski T, Chen TA, Mendoza JA, O'Connor T, Baranowski J, Jago R. "Prospective BMI category change associated with cardiovascular fitness change.." Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013 February;45(2):294-8. Pubmed PMID: 22935738
- Baranowski T, Beltran A, Chen TA, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Buday R, Baranowski J. "Structure of corrective feedback for selection of ineffective vegetable parenting practices for use in a simulation videogame." Games Health J. 2013 February;2(1):29-33. Pubmed PMID: 24761320
- Sleddens EF, Kremers SP, Hughes SO, Cross MB, Thijs C, De Vries NK, O'Connor TM. "Physical activity parenting: a systematic review of questionnaires and their associations with child activity levels." Obes Rev. 2012 November;13(11):1015-33. Pubmed PMID: 22845791
- Frankel LA, Hughes SO, O'Connor TM, Power TG, Fisher JO, Hazen NL. "Parental influences on children's self-regulation of energy intake: Insights from developmental literature on emotion regulation.." J Obes. 2012;2012:327259. Pubmed PMID: 22545206
- Baranowski T, Abdelsamad D, Baranowski J, O'Connor TM, Thompson D, Barnett A, Cerin E, Chen TA. "Impact of an active video game on healthy children's physical activity.." Pediatrics. 2012 March;129(3):e636-42. Pubmed PMID: 22371457
- Sleddens EF, Hughes SO, O'Connor TM, Beltran A, Baranowski JC, Nicklas TA, Baranowski T. "The Children's Behavior Questionnaire very short scale: psychometric properties and development of a one-item temperament scale.." Psychol Rep. 2012 February;110(1):197-217. Pubmed PMID: 22489386
- Baranowski T, Baranowski J, O’Connor TM, Lu AS, Thompson, D. "Is enhanced physical activity possible using active videogames?." Games Health J. 2012;1(3):228-32.
- Beltran A, O’Connor TM, Hughes S, Baranowski J, Nicklas T, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "Alpha test of a videogame to increase children’s vegetable consumption." Games Health J. 2012;1(3):219-22.
- Hilmers A, Cullen KW, Moore C, O'Connor T. "Exploring the association between household food insecurity, parental self-efficacy, and fruit and vegetable parenting practices among parents of 5-to 8-year-old overweight children." J Appl Res Child. 2012;1(3):5.
- Hingle M, Beltran A, O'Connor T, Thompson D, Baranowski J, Baranowski T. "A model of goal directed vegetable parenting practices.." Appetite. 2012 April;58(2):444-9. Pubmed PMID: 22210348
- O'Connor TM, Hilmers A, Watson K, Baranowski T, Giardino AP. "Feasibility of an obesity intervention for paediatric primary care targeting parenting and children: Helping HAND.." Child Care Health Dev. 2013 January;39(1):141-9. Pubmed PMID: 22066521
- Beltran A, Hingle MD, Knesek J, O'Connor T, Baranowski J, Thompson D, Baranowski T. "Identifying and clarifying values and reason statements that promote effective food parenting practices, using intensive interviews.." J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011 November;43(6):531-5. Pubmed PMID: 22078775
- O'Connor T, Watson K, Hughes S, Beltran A, Hingle M, Baranowski J, Campbell K, Canal DJ, Lizaur AB, Zacarías I, González D, Nicklas T, Baranowski T. "Health professionals' and dietetics practitioners' perceived effectiveness of fruit and vegetable parenting practices across six countries.." J Am Diet Assoc. 2010 July;110(7):1065-71. Pubmed PMID: 20630164
- Hingle MD, O'Connor TM, Dave JM, Baranowski T. "Parental involvement in interventions to improve child dietary intake: a systematic review.." Prev Med. 2010 August;51(2):103-11. Pubmed PMID: 20462509
- O'Connor TM, Jago R, Baranowski T. "Engaging parents to increase youth physical activity a systematic review.." Am J Prev Med. 2009 August;37(2):141-9. Pubmed PMID: 19589450
- O'Connor TM, Hughes SO, Watson KB, Baranowski T, Nicklas TA, Fisher JO, Beltran A, Baranowski JC, Qu H, Shewchuk RM. "Parenting practices are associated with fruit and vegetable consumption in pre-school children.." Public Health Nutr. 2010 January;13(1):91-101. Pubmed PMID: 19490734
- Hughes S, O'Connor T, Power T. "Parenting and children's eating patterns: Examining control in a broader context." Int J Child Adolesc Health. 2008;4(1):323-30.
- O'Connor TM, Yang SJ, Nicklas TA. "Beverage intake among preschool children and its effect on weight status.." Pediatrics. 2006 October;118(4):e1010-8. Pubmed PMID: 17015497
- Binder BM, O'Connor TM, Bownds MD, Arshavsky VY. "Phosphorylation of non-bleached rhodopsin in intact retinas of living frogs." J Biol Chem. 1996 August;271(33):19826-30. Pubmed PMID: 8702691
- Zhou F, Höök T, Thompson JA, Höök M. "Heparin protein interactions." Adv Exp Med Biol. 1992;313:141-53. Pubmed PMID: 1442258
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Academic Pediatric Association
- International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity