- Abdominal Transplant & Liver Disease (Clinic)
- Baylor Clinic Suite 1450 Houston, Texas 77030 United States (832) 355-1400
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Division of Abdominal Transplantation
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Clinical Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine
- General Surgery
- MD from Emory University School of Medicine
- MPH from Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- International Health
- BS from Emory University
Honors & Awards
- Women of Excellence
- The Women of Excellence Project seeks to recognize Baylor woman faculty, staff, students and trainees who exemplify excellence as well as Baylor’s other values of respect, integrity, innovation and teamwork.
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Second nomination
- Outstanding Chief Resident in General Surgery
- Outstanding Teaching Resident Award
- Best Intern of the Year
N. Thao N. Galván, M.D., MPH specializes in adult and pediatric liver and kidney transplantations.
Dr. Galván is an assistant professor of surgery in the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. She completed her medical degree at Emory University School of Medicine. During that time, she obtained her Master of Public Health degree, focused on international health and organizational policy, from Tulane University. She completed her general surgery residency in the research track at Baylor College of Medicine.
During her residency, Dr. Galván was awarded a CPRIT fellowship supporting her two-year research study on the genomics of hepatocellular carcinoma. She helped to develop the Texas Cancer Research Biobank in collaboration with the Human Genome Sequencing Center, a platform which contributed to the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Genome Atlas. Dr. Galván subsequently completed a two-year abdominal transplant fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine under the guidance of Dr. John A. Goss, professor of surgery and chief of the Division of Abdominal Transplantation at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Galván is the author of numerous articles in the areas of solid organ transplantation outcomes and surgical technique, especially focused on the pediatric transplant population. Furthermore, she is interested in additive bioengineering and its potential for the field of transplant medicine. In collaboration with Rice University, she has a funded study to create an in vivo porcine model of vascular flow using 3D-printed vascular constructs and will continue to branch out to test the viability of organoids along these engineered vascular networks.
- Nguyen NT, Cotton RT, Harring TR, Guiteau JJ, Gingras MC, Wheeler DA, O'Mahony CA, Gibbs RA, Brunicardi FC, Goss JA. "A Primer on a Hepatocellular Carcinoma Bioresource Bank using the Cancer Genome Atlas Guidelines: Practical Issues and Pitfalls." World J Surg.
- Harring TR, Guiteau JJ, Nguyen NT, Cotton RT, Gingras MC, Wheeler DA, O'Mahony CA, Gibbs RA, Brunicardi FC, Goss JA. "Building a Comprehensive Genomic Program for Hepatocellular Carcinoma." World J Surg.
- Nguyen NT, Harring TR, Goss JA, O’Mahony CA. "Neuroendocrine Liver Metastases and Orthotopic Liver Transplantation: The US Experience." Int J Hepatol.
- Nguyen NT, Vierling JM. "Acute Liver Failure." Curr Opin Organ Transplant.
- Nguyen NTT Harring TR, Liu H, Goss JA, O’Mahony CA. "Transplanting Whole Livers from Donors Less than 6 Kilograms—is it prudent?." J Surg Res.
- Covington K, Donehower LA, Creighton C, Slagle BL, Goss JA, Nguyen NTT, Gibbs RA, Wheeler D et al.. "Viral Subtypes in Hepatocellular Carcinoma are Associated with Different Mechanisms of WNT/CTNNB1 Alteration." Cancer Research.
- Nguyen NTT, Harring TR, Liu H, Goss JA, O’Mahony CA. "Biliary Reconstruction in Pediatric Liver Transplantation: A Case Report of Biliary Complications and Review of the Literature." J Liver.
- Yoeli D, Galvan NT, Ashton DJ, Kumm KR, Kueht ML, Witte ED, Miloh TA, Cotton RT, Rana A, O’Mahony CA, Goss JA. "Portosystemic shunt as a bridge to liver transplantation in infants: A comparison of two techniques." Pediatr Transplant. Pubmed PMID: 28295949
- Kumm K, Galván NTN, et al.. "Are Drowned Donors Marginal Donors? A Single Pediatric Center Experience." Pediatric Transplantation.
- Rana A, Kueht M, Desai M, Lam F, Miloh T, Moffett J, Galván NT, Cotton R, O’Mahony C, Goss J. "No Child Left Behind: Liver Transplantation in Critically Ill Children." J Am Coll Surg. Pubmed PMID: 28167225
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- Association of Academic Surgeons
- American Medical Association