- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy (Office)
- One Baylor Plaza Suite 310D Houston, Texas 77030 United States
- Cullen Associate Professor of Medical Ethics
- Associate Director of Medical Ethics, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas
- M.A. from Bowling Green State University
- Ph.D. from Michigan State University
Honors & Awards
- Greenwall Faculty Scholar in Bioethics
- Fulbright & Jaworski L. L. P. Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching and Evaluation
- Junior Scholars in Bioethics Program
- Pfizer Bioethics Fellowship Recipient
- Character Project Summer Seminar
- Educational Scholars Fellowship Program
- Nominated as Member, American Philosophical Association Committee on Philosophy and Medicine
- Moral Psychology and Moral Philosophy
- Behavioral Economics
- Medical Decision Making
Jennifer Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D., is an associate professor (tenured) of Medicine and Medical Ethics with the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine and has an adjunct appointment in Philosophy at Rice University. She received her B.S. in applied health science and a minor in philosophy, magna cum laude with University Honors, from Bowling Green State University in May 2002, and her Ph.D. in philosophy, with a specialization in bioethics, from Michigan State University in May 2008.
Dr. Blumenthal-Barby's research focuses on the ethical issues raised by research on human judgment and decision-making (e.g., decisional biases and heuristics). She focuses on developing moral guidelines for the use of principles of behavioral economics and decisional psychology to shape people’s decisions and behaviors. Dr. Blumenthal-Barby has been the recipient of a Greenwall Faculty Scholar in Bioethics Fellowship, a Pfizer Bioethics Fellowship, and a Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Award. She directs the undergraduate medical education ethics curriculum at BCM, teaches courses and advises graduate students in ethics at Rice University, and co-directs the Rice-BCM Health, Humanism and Society Scholars Program for undergraduates. She has published more than 65 articles in bioethics, philosophy, and medical journals and won several teaching awards.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Rao E, Loftis L, McCullough L, Lemmon M, Ubel P, Meadow W, Cummings C, Lantos J. "Should Neonatologists Give Their Own Opinions About the Appropriateness of Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Treatment?." Pediatrics. 2016 December;138(6)
- Blumenthal-Barby JS and Ubel P.. "Gunmen and Ice-cream Cones: Harm to Autonomy and Harm to Persons." American Journal of Bioethics. 2016 November;16(11):13-14. Pubmed PMID: 27749180
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Shipchandler Z, Kaplan J.. "An Ethical Framework for Public Health Nudges: A Case Study of Incentives as Nudges for Vaccination in Rural India.." Nudging Health: Health Law and Behavioral Eco. 2016;Chapter 8:112-123.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS. ""That's the doctor's job': Overcoming patient reluctance to be involved in medical decision making.." Patient Educ Couns.. 2016 July 4;[epub ahead of print]. Pubmed PMID: 27423179
- Won T, Blumenthal-Barby JS, Chacko M. "Paid Protection?: Ethics of Incentivized Long-Acting Reversible Contraception in Adolescents with Alcohol and Other Drug Use.." J Med Ethics.. 2016 May 13;[Epub ahead of print] Pubmed PMID: 27178535
- Blumenthal-Barby JS. "Biases and Heuristics in Decision Making and Their Impact on Autonomy.." Am J Bioeth.. 2016 May 16;16(5):5-15. Pubmed PMID: 27111357
- Kostick KM, Minard CG, Wilhelms LA, Delgado E, Abraham M, Bruce CR, Estep JD, Loebe M, Volk RJ, Blumenthal-Barby JS.. "Development and validation of a patient-centered knowledge scale for left ventricular assist device placement.." J Heart Lung Transplant.. 2016 June;35(6):768-76. Pubmed PMID: 26922278
- Blumenthal-Barby JS. "What Sort of Collective Afterlife Matters and How.." Philosophia. 2016 March;44(1):87-100.
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Lazaridis C.. "A Woman in Her 30s Whose Family Becomes Distrustful After an Initial Prognosis Proves Inaccurate.." Chest.. 2016 April 19;149(4):e115-7. Pubmed PMID: 27055715
- American Philosophical Association Committee on Philosophy and Medicine
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities Medical Decision Making Affinity Group
- Development and User Testing of a Decision Aid for Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Placement (PI)
- Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Creating a patient-centered decision aid that presents outcomes, risks, experiences, and uncertainties about ventricular assist device placement in a clear, comprehensive, scientifically valid and unbiased manner.
- Senior Collaboration Project on “Ethically Responsible Choice Architecture in Medical Decision Making” (PI)
- The Greenwall Foundation Making a Difference in Real-World Bioethics Dilemmas Grant Initiative
- This project aims to develop empirically-informed comprehensive normative guidelines for the use of
- choice architecture in (1) prostate cancer treatment decision-making, and (2) decision-making about tracheostomy placement in critically ill children.
- Integration of Whole Genome Sequencing into Clinical Medicine (Co-I; PI: R. Green & A. McGuire) - #U01 HG 006500
- National Institutes of Health
- The MedSeq Project seeks to develop a process to integrate genome sequencing into clinical medicine and explore the impact of doing so.
- Integrating Ethics into the Science of Behavior Change: An Ethical Framework for Clinicians and Policymakers (PI)
- Greenwall Faculty Scholar Award in Bioethics
- A career development award to enable outstanding junior faculty members to carry out original
- research that will help resolve important policy and clinical dilemmas at the intersection of ethics
- and the life sciences.