- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy (Office)
- One Baylor Plaza Suite 310D Houston, Texas 77030 United States
- Cullen Associate Professor of Medical Ethics
- Associate Director of Medical Ethics, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas
- M.A. from Bowling Green State University
- Ph.D. from Michigan State University
Honors & Awards
- Nominated as Member, American Philosophical Association Committee on Philosophy and Medicine
- Greenwall Faculty Scholar in Bioethics
- Fulbright & Jaworski L. L. P. Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching and Evaluation
- Pfizer Bioethics Fellowship Recipient
- Character Project Summer Seminar
- Junior Scholars in Bioethics Program
- Educational Scholars Fellowship Program
- Moral Psychology and Moral Philosophy
- Behavioral Economics
- Medical Decision Making
Jennifer Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D., is an associate professor (tenured) of Medicine and Medical Ethics with the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine. She received her B.S. in applied health science and a minor in philosophy, magna cum laude with University Honors, from Bowling Green State University in May 2002, and her Ph.D. in philosophy, with a specialization in bioethics, from Michigan State University in May 2008.
Dr. Blumenthal-Barby's research focuses on the ethical issues raised by research on human judgment and decision-making (e.g., decisional biases and heuristics). She focuses on developing moral guidelines for the use of principles of behavioral economics and decisional psychology to shape people’s decisions and behaviors. Dr. Blumenthal-Barby has been the recipient of a Greenwall Faculty Scholar in Bioethics Fellowship, a Pfizer Bioethics Fellowship, and two Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Awards. She directs the undergraduate medical education ethics curriculum at BCM, has taught courses and advised graduate students in ethics at Rice University, and co-directs (on the BCM side) the Rice-BCM Health, Humanism and Society Scholars Program for undergraduates. She has published more than 75 articles in bioethics, philosophy, and medical journals and won several teaching awards.
- Allen CH, Vold K, Felsen G, Blumenthal-Barby JS, Aharoni E.. "Reconciling the Opposing Effects of Neurobiological Evidence on Criminal Sentencing Judgments.." PLoS One. 2018 January 18;14(1) Pubmed PMID: 30657761
- Kostick K, Bruce CR, Minard CG, Volk RJ, Civitello A, Krim SR, Hortsmanhof D, Thohan V, Loebe M, Bruckner BA, Blumenthal-Barby JS and Estep JD.. "A Multi-Site Randomized Controlled Trial of a Patient Centered Ventricular Assist Device Decision Aid (VADDA)." Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2018 October;24(10):661-671. Pubmed PMID: 30195826
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Ubel PA.. "In Defense of "Denial": Difficulty Knowing When Beliefs Are Unrealistic and Whether Unrealistic Beliefs Are Bad.." American Journal of Bioethics. 2018 September;18(9):4-15. Pubmed PMID: 30235093
- Blumenthal-Barby JS, Ubel PA.. "Response to Open Peer Commentaries on ''In Defense of 'Denial': Difficulty Knowing When Beliefs Are Unrealistic and Whether Unrealistic Beliefs Are Bad".." Am J Bioeth.. 2018 September;18(9):W3-W5. Pubmed PMID: 30235100
- Blumenthal-Barby J, Opel DJ.. "Nudge or Grudge? Choice Architecture and Parental Decision-Making.." Hastings Cent Rep.. 2018 March;48(2):33-39. Pubmed PMID: 29590519
- Blumenthal-Barby J, Ubel PA.. "Truth be told: not all nudging is bullshit.." J Med Ethics.. 2018 August;44(8):547. Pubmed PMID: 29444924
- Wilhelms LA, Blumenthal-Barby JS, Kostick KM, Estep JD, Bruce CR. "Patients' Perspectives on Transplantation While Undergoing Left Ventricular Assist Device Support.." ASAIO J.. 2017;63(6):740-744. Pubmed PMID: 29084036
- Jamal L, Robinson JO, Christensen KD, Blumenthal-Barby JS, Slashinski MJ, Perry DL, Vassy JL, Wycliff J, Green RC, McGuire AL. "When bins blur: Patient perspectives on categories of results from clinical whole genome sequencing.." AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2017;8(2):82-88. Pubmed PMID: 28949844
- 10. Loewenstein, G., Hagmann, D., Schwartz, J., Ericson, K., Kessler, J. B., Bhargava, S., Blumenthal-Barby, J., D’Aunno, T., Handel, B., Kolstad, J., Nussbaum, D., Shaffer, V., Skinner, J., Ubel, P., Zikmund-Fisher, B. J.. "A Behavioral Blueprint for Improving Health Care Policy." Behavioral Science & Policy. 2017;5(1):53-66.
- 11. Kaplan JA, Kandodo J, Sclafani J, Raine S, Blumenthal-Barby JS, Norris A, Norris-Turner A, Chemey E, Beckham JM, Khan Z, Chunda R.. "An investigation of the relationship between autonomy, childbirth practices, and obstetric fistula among women in rural Lilongwe District, Malawi.." BMC Int Health Hum Rights.. 2017 June 19;17(1):17. Pubmed PMID: 28629455
- American Philosophical Association Committee on Philosophy and Medicine
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities Medical Decision Making Affinity Group
- Dissemination and Implementation of a Patient-Centered Decision Aid for Ventricular Assist Device Placement
- Grant funding from Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Award
- Development and User Testing of a Decision Aid for Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Placement (PI)
- Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Creating a patient-centered decision aid that presents outcomes, risks, experiences, and uncertainties about ventricular assist device placement in a clear, comprehensive, scientifically valid and unbiased manner.
- Senior Collaboration Project on “Ethically Responsible Choice Architecture in Medical Decision Making” (PI)
- The Greenwall Foundation Making a Difference in Real-World Bioethics Dilemmas Grant Initiative
- This project aims to develop empirically-informed comprehensive normative guidelines for the use of
- choice architecture in (1) prostate cancer treatment decision-making, and (2) decision-making about tracheostomy placement in critically ill children.
- Integration of Whole Genome Sequencing into Clinical Medicine (Co-I; PI: R. Green & A. McGuire) - #U01 HG 006500
- National Institutes of Health
- The MedSeq Project seeks to develop a process to integrate genome sequencing into clinical medicine and explore the impact of doing so.
- Integrating Ethics into the Science of Behavior Change: An Ethical Framework for Clinicians and Policymakers (PI)
- Greenwall Faculty Scholar Award in Bioethics
- A career development award to enable outstanding junior faculty members to carry out original
- research that will help resolve important policy and clinical dilemmas at the intersection of ethics
- and the life sciences.