- Associate Professor
- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston Methodist System Biomedical Ethics Program
- PhD from Rice University
- BA from Duke University
- Clinical Ethics, Pediatric Ethics, Reproductive Ethics, Professionalism Education
Janet Malek, PhD is an associate professor of medicine and medical ethics at Baylor College of Medicine's Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy and the director of the Houston Methodist Biomedical Ethics Program. In these roles, Dr. Malek designs and teaches ethics and professionalism programs for Baylor residents and medical students, conducts research on the implementation of genomic sequencing into clinical practice, and carries out ethics consultation and other ethics activities throughout the Houston Methodist Hospital System. She also serves as the Past Chair of the Board of Directors of the Academy for Professionalism in Health Care. Her research focuses on issues related to clinical ethics, genomic and reproductive ethics, and professionalism education.
- Malek, J, S Pereira, J Robinson, et al.. "Responsibility, Culpability, and Parental Views on Genomic Testing for Seriously Ill Children." Genetics in Medicine. [Epub ahead of print] Pubmed PMID: 31186522
- Malek, J.. "The Non-Identity Non-Problem: Constructing Continuity of Identity Among Possible Future Persons." Law, Ethics, and Philosophy. Forthcoming
- Puri, K, J Malek, CM de la Uz, J Lantos, AG Cabrera, E Fruge. "Ethics Rounds: The Risks of Allowing Adolescents to Weigh Benefits and Burdens of High-States Treatment Alternatives." Pediatrics. Forthcoming
- Stephens AL, Bruce CR, Childress A, Malek J. "Why Families Get Angry: Practical Strategies for Clinical Ethics Consultants to Rebuild Trust Between Angry Families and Clinicians in the Critical Care Environment." HEC Forum. 2019;[Epub ahead of print] Pubmed PMID: 30820819
- Malek J. "The Appropriate Role of a Clinical Ethics Consultant’s Religious Worldview in Consultative Work: Nearly None." HEC Forum.. 2019;31(2):91-102. Pubmed PMID: 30229427
- Malek, J. "Bridging the Gap Between Theory and Practice: Philosophy Through a Wide-Angle Lens." Journal of Medicine and Philosophy. 2018;43(1):1-7.
- Morain S and J Malek. "Minimum Age of Sale for Tobacco Products and Electronic Cigarettes: Ethical Acceptability of US "Tobacco 21 Laws"." Am J Public Health.. 2017;107(9):1401-1405. Pubmed PMID: 28727531
- Malek J, M Slashinski, J Robinson et al. "Parental Perspectives on Whole Exome Sequencing in Pediatric Cancer: A Typology of Perceived Utility." Journal of Clinical Oncology: Precision Oncology. 2017 May 31
- Malek J. "Maternal Decision-making During Pregnancy: Parental Obligations and Cultural Differences." Best Practice and Research: Clin Ob Gyn. 2017 February 10(43):10-20.
- Johnson G, J Levison, J Malek. "Should Providers Discuss Breastfeeding with Women Living with HIV in High-Income Countries? An Ethical Analysis." Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2016;63(10):1368-1372. Pubmed PMID: 27572099
- Schaffer S, E Schaffer, J Malek. "Life and Death on Her Own Terms." Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics. 2016;6(2):96-99. Pubmed PMID: 27763395