- Associate Professor
- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston Methodist System Biomedical Ethics Program
- PhD from Rice University
- BA from Duke University
- Clinical Ethics, Pediatric Ethics, Reproductive Ethics, Professionalism Education
Janet Malek, PhD is an associate professor of medicine and medical ethics at Baylor College of Medicine's Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy and the director of the Houston Methodist System Biomedical Ethics Program. In these roles, Dr. Malek designs and teaches ethics and professionalism programs for Baylor residents and medical students, conducts research on the implementation of genomic sequencing into clinical practice, and carries out ethics consultation and other ethics activities throughout the Houston Methodist Hospital System. She also serves as the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Academy for Professionalism in Health care. Her research focuses on ethical issues in pediatrics, reproductive ethics, and professionalism education.
- Malek J, M Slashinski, J Robinson et al.. "Parental Perspectives on Whole Exome Sequencing in Pediatric Cancer: A Typology of Perceived Utility." Journal of Clinical Oncology: Precision Oncology. 2017 May 31
- Malek J. "Maternal Decision-making During Pregnancy: Parental Obligations and Cultural Differences." Best Practice and Research: Clin Ob Gyn. 2017 February 10
- Malek J. "Responding to Refusal of Recommended Cesarean Section: Promoting Good Parenting." Seminars in Perinatology. 2016;40(4):216-21.
- Schaffer S, E Schaffer, J Malek. "Life and Death on Her Own Terms." Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics. 2016;6(2):96-99.
- Morain S and J Malek. "Minimum Age of Sale for Tobacco Products and Electronic Cigarettes: Ethical Acceptability of US "Tobacco 21 Laws"." American Journal of Public Health. 2017
- Johnson G, J Levison, J Malek. "Should Providers Discuss Breastfeeding with Women Living with HIV in High-Income Countries? An Ethical Analysis." Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2016;63(10):1368-72.
- Carrese, J, J Malek, K Watson, et al.. "The Romanell Report: The Essential Role of Medical Ethics Education in Achieving Professionalism." Acad Med. 2015 June;90(6):744-52. Pubmed PMID: 25881647
- Malek, J.. "Use or Refuse Reproductive Genetic Technologies: Which Would a Good Parent Do?." Bioeth. 2013 February;27(2):59-64. Pubmed PMID: 21726259
- Malek, J and J Daar. "The Case for a Parental Duty to Use Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis for Medical Benefit." Am J Bioeth. 2012;12(4):3-11. Pubmed PMID: 22452463
- Malek, J. "Deciding Against Disability: Does the Use of Reproductive Technologies Express Disvalue for People with Disabilities?." J Med Ethics. 2010 April;36(4):217-21. Pubmed PMID: 20338932
- Malek, J. "What is Really in a Child's Best Interests?." J Clin Ethics. 2009;20(2):175-82. Pubmed PMID: 19554826
- J Malek. "To Tell or Not to Tell? The Dilemma of the Would-Be Whistleblower." Accountability in Res. 2010 May;17(3):115-29. Pubmed PMID: 20461568