- Assistant Professor
- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- BA from University of Virginia
- Interdisciplinary (Bioethics)
- JD from Harvard Law School
- Fellowship at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- MPH from The University of Texas School of Public Health
- Health Services Organization
- Texas Bar
- Texas Board of Law Examiners
- Illinois Bar
- Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar
- U.S. Patent Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Honors & Awards
- President James T./Nancy Beamer Willerson Scholarship in Public Health
- Echols Scholar
- Julius and Suzan Glickman Endowed Scholarship in Innovation
- Intellectual property and health innovation
- Public health policy
- Legal implications of genomic technologies
- Citizen science
- Research ethics
- Health privacy
Christi Guerrini is an Asst. Professor in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, where she teaches and conducts research at the intersection of law, innovation, health, and ethics. Christi received a four-year K01 award from the National Human Genome Research Institute to study ownership interests in citizen science. She also currently serves as an affiliated researcher at the University of Houston Law Center’s Institute for Intellectual Property & Information Law.
Christi serves on the Ethics Working Group of the Citizen Science Association and recently served as a consultant to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine's Committee on the Return of Individual-Specific Research Results Generated in Research Laboratories.
Christi received her J.D. from Harvard Law School and M.P.H. from The University of Texas School of Public Health. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa with Highest Honors from the University of Virginia, where she received her B.A.
Prior to joining BCM, Christi served as the Intellectual Property Fellow at Chicago-Kent College of Law and taught patent law and legal writing courses at Brooklyn Law School. Christi also litigated patent, trademark, contract, and class action disputes across a spectrum of industries in private practice. She is admitted to practice in Texas and Illinois and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Christi has published in Science, Nature Biotechnology, and the Journal of Law and the Biosciences, as well as various law journals. She is also a frequent contributor to the PolicyWise blog.
- C.J. Guerrini, M.A. Majumder & A.L. McGuire. "Persistent Confusion and Controversy Surrounding Gene Patents." Nature Biotech. 2016 February;34:145-47.
- C.J. Guerrini, A.L. McGuire, M.A. Majumder. "Clearing Complexity from the Common Rule NPRM." J. Law & Biosc. 2016 June:1-24.
- C.J. Guerrini, M.A. Curnutte, J.S. Sherkow, C.T. Scott. "The Rise of the Ethical License." Nature Biotech. 2017 January;35:22-24.
- C.J. Guerrini, A.L. McGuire, M.A. Majumder. "Myriad Take Two: Can Private Genomic Databases Remain Secret?." Science. 2017 May;356(6338):586-587.
- M.A. Majumder, C.J. Guerrini, J. Bollinger, R. Cook-Deegan, A.L. McGuire. "Sharing Data Under the 21st Century Cures Act." Genet. Med. 2017 May 25
- N. Ram, C.J. Guerrini, A.L. McGuire. "Genealogy Databases and the Future of Criminal Investigation." Science. 2018 June;360
- C.J. Guerrini, M.A. Majumder, M.J. Lewellyn, A.L. McGuire. "Citizen Science, Public Policy." Science. 2018 July;361:134-36.
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- American Society of Human Genetics