- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center McNair Campus (Clinic)
- Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center 7200 Cambridge St, 7th floor Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-2262 MAP IT
- Professor and Chief, Section of Breast Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Co-Director, Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center
- Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Olga Keith Wiess Chair of Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
- General Surgery
- Research Fellowship at Imperial Cancer Research Fund
- MD from University of Edinburgh
- Molecular Biology
- MBChB from University of Edinburgh
- Medicine Surgery
- BSc from University of Edinburgh
- Medical Science Anatomy
Honors & Awards
- Silver Spur Award for Support in Life and Learning
- James IV Association of Surgeons Travelling Fellowship
- King James IV Professorship in Surgery
- Lister Prize for Surgery
- William Leslie Prize for Surgery
- Director's Service Award
- 2017 Top Performer
Dr. Alastair Thompson, is an internationally recognized breast surgeon-scientist. Dr. Thompson serves as section chief of Breast Surgery in the Division of Surgical Oncology and co-Director of the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center, part of the Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center at Baylor College of Medicine.
Thompson joins Baylor from the University of Texas MD Anderson, where he was professor of Surgery in the Department of Breast Surgical Oncology. He led a forward-thinking clinical practice treating breast cancer patients, including an emphasis on skin sparing and nipple sparing mastectomy, autologous reconstruction and innovative localization techniques for breast conservation and axillary node surgery.
Amongst his innumerable research leadership roles, Dr. Thompson has served as principal investigator on landmark breast cancer clinical trials, including SOLE, MA 32, MINDACT and KRISTINE trials. He currently chairs the Translational Medicine Breast Group of the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG); co-chairs the Loco-regional Steering Group of the Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium (TBCRC), is a member of the NCI BOLD taskforce and of the Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group, is national co-investigator and correlative science lead for the Comparison of Operative to Monitoring and Endocrine Therapy (COMET) trial for low-risk DCIS, and co-chairs the NCI-Breast Cancer Steering Committee-proposed “no surgery” clinical trial planning committee. Dr. Thompson also continues to chair the Sloane Project (the NHS Breast Screening Programme non-invasive prospective cohort study of 13,000 women), which is the largest prospective study of screen detected DCIS in the world. He is co-author of over 350 publications.
Dr. Thompson completed his BSc (honors) in Medical Science Anatomy and a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree (with distinction) (MBChB) from the University of Edinburgh, UK. He subsequently trained as an MD clinical scientist, focused on gene expression on breast cancer, at the University of Edinburgh, and is a Fellow of the Intercollegiate Board of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Prior to coming to the US, Dr. Thompson rose to the rank of professor of Surgical Oncology at the University of Dundee, UK.
- Maetens M, Brown D, Irrthum A, Aftimos P, Viale G, Loibl S, Laes JF, Campbell PJ, Thompson A, Cortes J, Seiler S, Vinnicombe S, Oliveira M, Rothé F, Bareche Y, Fumagalli D, Zardavas D, Desmedt C, Piccart M, Loi S, Sotiriou C. "The AURORA pilot study for molecular screening of patients with advanced breast cancer-a study of the breast international group." NPJ Breast Cancer.
- Maxwell AJ, Clements K, Hilton B, Dodwell DJ, Evans A, Kearins O, Pinder SE, Thomas J, Wallis MG, Thompson AM. "Risk Factors for The Development of Invasive Cancer in Unresected Ductal Carcinoma In Situ." European Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- Rosso KJ, Weiss A, Thompson AM. "Are There Alternative Strategies for the Local Management of Ductal Carcinoma in Situ?." Surg Oncol Clin N Am.
- Grimm LJ, Ryser MD, Partridge AH, Thompson AM, Thomas JS, Wesseling J, Hwang ES. "Surgical Upstaging Rates for Vacuum Assisted Biopsy Proven DCIS: Implications for Active Surveillance Trials." Ann Surg Oncol. Pubmed PMID: 28795370
- Hurvitz SA, Martin M, Symmans WF, Jung KH, Huang CS, Thompson AM, Harbeck N, Valero V, Stroyakovskiy D, Wildiers H, Campone M, Boileau JF, Beckmann MW, Afenjar K, Fresco R, Helms HJ, Xu J, Lin YG, Sparano J, Slamon D. "Neoadjuvant trastuzumab, pertuzumab, and chemotherapy versus trastuzumab emtansine plus pertuzumab in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer (KRISTINE): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial." Lancet Oncol. Pubmed PMID: 29175149
- Henderson S, Purdie C, Michie C, Evans A, Lerski R, Johnston M, Vinnicombe S, Thompson AM. "Interim heterogeneity changes measured using entropy texture features on T2-weighted MRI at 3.0 T are associated with pathological response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in primary breast cancer." Eur Radiol.
- Colleoni M, Luo W, Karlsson P, Chirgwin J, Aebi S, Jerusalem G, Neven P, Hitre E, Graas MP, Simoncini E, Kamby C, Thompson A, et al, SOLE Investigators. "Extended adjuvant intermittent letrozole versus continuous letrozole in postmenopausal women with breast cancer (SOLE): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial." Lancet Oncol. Pubmed PMID: 29158011
- Metcalfe LN, Zysk AM, Yemul KS, Jacobs LK, Oker EE, Underwood HR, Thompson AM. "Beyond the Margins-Economic Costs and Complications Associated With Repeated Breast-Conserving Surgeries." JAMA Surg. Pubmed PMID: 28768303
- Glodzik D, Morganella S, Davies H, Simpson PT, Li Y, Zou X, Diez-Perez J, Staaf J, Alexandrov LB, Smid M, Brinkman AB, Rye IH, Russnes H, Raine K, Purdie CA, Lakhani SR, Thompson AM, et al. "Corrigendum: A somatic-mutational process recurrently duplicates germline susceptibility loci and tissue-specific super-enhancers in breast cancers." Nat Genet. Pubmed PMID: 29074948
- Candelaria RP, Hansakul P, Thompson AM, Le-Petross H, Valero V, Bassett R, Huang ML, Santiago L, Adrada BE. "Analysis of Stereotactic Biopsies Performed on Suspicious Calcifications Identified within 24 months after Completion of Breast Conserving Surgery and Radiation Therapy for Early Breast Cancer: Can Biopsy Be Obviated?." Am J Surg. Pubmed PMID: 28712671
- Harris County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- American Association of Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- British Breast Group
- Moynihan Chirurgical Club
- Association of Breast Surgeons
- Method for prognosis of tumours of the breast Pin1 in combination with mutation in the gene p53
- Del Sal G, Napoli M, Girardini BJE, Piazza S, Thompson A, Method for prognosis of tumours of the breast Pin1 in combination with mutation in the gene p53, Italy, Industrial Invention PD2011A000201
- Method for diagnosing cancer using pAMPK
- Hardie G, Thompson AM, Hadad S, Method for diagnosing cancer using pAMPK, United States, No 61, Filed