What We Recycle
Currently the Resource Stewardship and Sustainability Program accepts the following items for recycling. See exact recycling locations.
- Plastics No. 1 and No. 2 (Eight recycling sites on Main Campus)
- Laboratory plastic made from No. 5 plastic (Four recycling sites on Main Campus)
- Paper, cardboard and bagged shredded paper (located near most elevators)
- Aluminum (8 recycling sites on Main Campus)
- Plastic Bags: grocery bags, bread bags, dry cleaning bags, Ziploc & other reclosable bags, produce bags, bubble wrap, plastic packing (Three recycling sites on Main Campus)
- Brita Water Filters (Hamilton, Neill & Lee Recycling Room 527D)
- Ink Cartridges & Toner (Main Campus loading dock)
- Batteries (Supply Room 116H)
- Computers & Electronic Equipment (Office of Environmental Safety)
NEW: Box Cutters Now Available
Do you need help flattening boxes before taking them to the recycling bin? BCM RSSP now has box cutters available to help. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Baylor RSSP Now Accepts Plastic Bags
Baylor College of Medicine has as partnered with the Trex University Recycling Program and now accepts plastic bags at three locations on the main campus: DeBakey Basement Recycling Site, ABBR/Alkek Lobby Recycling Site (next to 1st floor Jewish elevators) and 5th floor Jewish Elevator Recycling Site. Once BCM collects 500 pounds of plastic, Trex will provide additional recycling bins or a bench made of recycled plastic.
What can be recycled? • Grocery bags• Bread bags• Case overwrap• Dry cleaning bags• Newspaper sleeves• Ice bags• Wood pellet bags• Ziploc and other reclosable bags• Produce bags• Bubble wrap•
All plastic bags must be clean, dry and free from food residue.
Baylor RSSP Now Accepts Brita Water Filters for Recycling
Changed out your Brita water filter or upgraded your pitcher? Take your old Brita products to the Recycle Room 527D (5th Floor Jewish Wing) and we will send them off to be recycled. Make sure to dry out your products for three days before recycling them.
Brita upcycles their products into new items like park benches, outdoor chairs and even watering cans.
Important things to remember before you recycle materials:
- Break down cardboard boxes
- Bag shredded paper
- Empty drinking containers
- We will not accept recycling in red or orange waste bags
- No straws
- No napkins