Answers to frequently asked questions about Personal Box account versus Box at BCM account.
I already have a personal Box account, why do I need a Box at BCM account?
With an enterprise Box at BCM account, you get these added benefits
- Unlimited storage per user
- Free to active BCM faculty, staff, and students
- Upload files sizes up to 15GB
- Desktop folder synchronization
- Mobile clients for iPhone, Android, and Windows
- Collaboration with internal and external users
- File Version Control
- Encryption of files at Box and over the network
Other advantages of using Box include:
- Share files and folders while controlling access permissions from preview-only to full editing and collaboration rights
- Comment on files
- Create simple workflows
- Take advantage of related applications and file synchronization tools
- Secure data storage that meet compliance regulations for HIPAA, PHI, FERPA
- Improved performance over other box-like services
What's the difference between a personal Box account and a Box at BCM account?
BCM Box Enterprise Account
Box at BCM accounts are provided with unlimited storage for each user, large file transfer and max file size limits and it is free to BCM faculty, staff, and students. It also provides more features than a personal account. However, it should be used to store, share and collaborate university related content only.
Personal Box Account
Box has offered free personal accounts to the public since 2005. Anyone can have a free personal Box account associated with a non-BCM email address, and created with a username and password of your choosing. An account of this type would not be related to any account you create.
Important: If you create a free personal Box account, be sure to associate it with an email address other than your BCM email account.
Check the Box site for details on storage space and pricing for personal accounts. You can share files from your personal account to your university account. Make sure to abide by BCM Policy when working with university documents.