Box at BCM is an enterprise-strength, cloud-based storage and collaboration service available to all active faculty, staff and students at Baylor College of Medicine.
Box at BCM may be used to manage the following content:
- Protected identifiable human subject research data (HIPAA & Common Rule)
- Student education records (FERPA)
- Research Lab data
- Grant and Collaborative documents
- Student collaboration and lecture data
Content Not Allowed
Box at BCM may not be used to manage the following content:
- Credit card or payment card industry (PCI) information
- Export controlled research – export administration regulations (EAR)
- Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)
- Radiation and hazardous chemical information (NRC & DHS)
- Social Security Numbers (47 state privacy laws)
Guidelines for Sharing
Please review the following guidelines for sharing and downloading information classified as protected or regulated (e.g. HIPAA Protected Health Information) to non-BCM entities or devices.
Box at BCM provides tools (Box Edit) that can enable document editing without having to download to a local device. It is recommended that you use this feature when editing and/or reviewing PHI content and other materials of a sensitive nature.
If you find it is absolutely necessary to download or sync PHI content to a personal device (e.g. mobile device or home computer) that device must meet BCM Security policies for protection and compliance.
It is the Box at BCM account owner’s responsibility to understand what information has been uploaded to that account and to ensure additional protections are enabled if that information is shared or downloaded outside of Baylor College of Medicine.