skip to content »
News & Announcements
Presentations of Laboratory Research
- Topological Aspects of DNA Function and Protein Folding. Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom. September 2012
- TOPO 2011; Advances in DNA Topoisomerase and Chromosome Dynamics. Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, October 2011
- 2011 Advances in Genome and Biology and Technology (AGBT) Meeting. "Identification of Biomarkers for Antibiotic Resistance in E. coli Clinical Isolates." Marco Island, FL. February 2011
- University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston, School of Biomedical Informatics, Houston, TX “Genomic fingerprints of antibiotic resistance in E. coli clinical isolates.” April 2011
- Statistical physics and topology of polymers with ramifications to structure and function of DNA and proteins. Satellite meeting of the XXIV International Conference on Statistical Physics Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics of Kyoto University, August 2010.
- Mathematics and Molecular Biology. Banff International Research Station for Mathematical Innovation and Discovery. Banff, Canada, Conference January 2010.
- International Course on DNA Topology. Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Okinawa, Japan, November 2009.
- Non-linear behavior of DNA in response to force drives biology. Seminar Series: Center for Complexity Science, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, June 2009
- The Devil in the Details: How DNA Structure, Sequence, and Counterions Drive Biology Ecole Normale Superieure, and Ecole Supérieure de Physique et de Chimie Industrielles of Paris, Paris, France 8, June 2009.
- From DNA-Inspired Physics to Physics-Inspired Biology, International Conference; International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, June 2009.
- San Francisco International Meeting on DNA Topology, International Meeting on DNA Topology; San Francisco, CA, April 2009.
- Knots and other entanglements in biopolymers: Topological and geometrical aspects of DNA, RNA and protein structures. International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, September 2008.
- Knots and soft matter physics: topology of polymers and related topics in physics, mathematics and biology. Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan, August 2008.
- The Eleventh International Conference on DNA Topoisomerases in Therapy. "Advances in the studies of protein-DNA interactions." John Innes Centre, Norwich, United Kingdom, July 2008.
- Istituto Veneto di Scienze Lettere ed Arti (IVSLA), "Knots and Macromolecules II" Venice, Italy, March 2008.
- Mathematics of DNA Structure, Function, and Interactions, September 2007.
- Wind River Conference on Prokaryotic Biology, June 2007.
- The Mathematics of Knotting and Linking in Polymer Physics and Molecular Biology, PIMS, May 2007.
- Sumnersfest, Florida State University, May 2007.
- Department of Cell Biology Seminar Series, Emory University, March 2007.
- Memorial Symposium honoring Nicholas R. Cozzarelli, June 2006.
- Sitlington Infectious Diseases Symposium, Stillwater, Oklahoma, April 2006.
- Molecular Virology and Microbiology Seminar Series, October 2005.
- BioMaPS Seminar Series in Quantitative Biology, October 2005.
- Workshop on Biopolymers, Trieste, Italy, June 2005.
- 10th Structural Biology Symposium 2005, May 2005.
Newspaper and Internet Coverage of Laboratory Research
Antibiotic resistance in gram-negative bacteria
- Pooled genome-wide associated studies could simplify treating drug-resistant bacteria
- Antibiotic Resistance Varies with Locale. Texas Medical Center News, March 2008
- Understanding regional antibiotic resistance rates could improve treatment. BCM News, February 2008.
- Drug resistance may travel same path as quorum sensing, From the Laboratories at BCM, March 2006.
- Multidrug resistance might be side effect of bacterial chats, BioWorld Today, February 2006.
- Drug resistance may travel same path as quorum sensing, Medical News Today, United Kingdom, February 2006.
- Drug resistance may travel same path as quorum sensing, BrightSurf.com, The Resource for Science Information, February 2006.
- Drug resistance may travel same path as quorum sensing, EurekAlert, February 2006.
- Drug resistance may travel same path as quorum sensing, BCM news, February 2006.
- Understanding Antibiotic Resistance, From the Laboratories at BCM, September 2002.
- Undermining Antibiotic Resistance, Applesforhealth.com, March 15, 2002
- Confronting the mystery of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, BCM news, February 2002.
DNA topoisomerases, DNA structure and DNA topology
- DNA Is Dynamic And Has High Energy; Not Stiff Or Static As First Envisioned Science Daily. July 14, 2009 .
- Mystery of DNA conformation. SCIENTISTLIVE. Genetics.
- Science Daily. “DNA Is Dynamic And Has High Energy; Not Stiff Or Static As First Envisioned.”
- ScienceBlog, science news straight from the source. “Baylor researchers unravel mystery of DNA conformation.”
- A Science Centric. “Baylor researchers unravel mystery of DNA conformation.”
- Knotted DNA Can Lead to Cell Death, Math Gateway, June 2007.
- Knotted DNA Can Kill Cells, Science.SK, June 2007.
- Knotted DNA Can Kill Cells, BCM News, May 2007.
- A slightly more complex knot problem (for advanced boy scouts), Dynamical Systems, February 2007.
- Researchers Unravel DNA Tangles And Enzyme Seamstresses, Science Daily, March 2006.
- Understanding DNA tangle could open door to new treatments for cancer, infectious diseases, BCM News, March 2006.
- Researchers unravel DNA tangles and enzyme seamstresses, University of Toronto News, March 2006.
- Unusual Collaboration Untangles Knotty Problem of DNA, BCM Family Newsletter, December 2004.
- Unusual collaboration untangles knotty problem of DNA, From the Laboratories at BCM, August 2004.
- Math helps unravel DNA tangle, BCM public webpage, June 2004.
- Baylor Researchers Keep Knots Out of DNA, Texas Medical Center News, June 15, 2001.
- Baylor researchers keep knots out of DNA, BCM news, March 2001.
Laboratory personnel volunteer