The whole room indirect calorimeters allow minute to minute measures of oxygen uptake (VO2) and carbon dioxide production (VCO2) to provide measurements of the following:
- Sleeping and Basal metabolic rates
- 24 hour total energy expenditure
- Substrate oxidation
- Exercise energy expenditure (e.g. biking, walking, running, aerobics, or video game play).
In addition to the whole room calorimeters the unit is equipped with the following
- Metabolic carts which utilize the ventilated hood technique are also available for the measurement of energy expenditure under resting conditions and during clamp studies.
- The Exercise Laboratory assesses sub-maximum and maximum VO2 measurements in children and adults using the metabolic carts.
Other Core Services
- Use of the doubly labeled water method to evaluate free-living energy metabolism.
- Use and calibration of activity and sleep monitors.
Adjacent CNRC Resources:
- Body Composition Laboratory.
- Metabolic Research Unit (MRU) for inpatient and outpatient research studies.
- Metabolic kitchen for preparation of study meals.
- Mass Spectrometry.