BCM's Diabetes Research Center received its designation from the NIH in January 2008.
The rationale for establishing the DRC at BCM includes:
- Facilitating a close interaction and collaboration among the multiple departments, centers and programs conducting diabetes research at BCM
- Encouraging and facilitating diabetes research by supporting existing investigators who have been admitted into the DRC and by attracting and recruiting new investigators through enrichment programs as well as a pilot and feasibility program
- Fostering cooperation among investigators in the four categories of diabetes research where BCM excels – clinical diabetes, metabolism and nutrition research; basic and translational research in the biology and physiology of diabetes, complications and therapy; molecular endocrinology; and adipogenesis and energy metabolism
- Engendering new ideas and interactions among investigators
- Creating new partnerships
- Stimulating new projects related to diabetes