Yong Xu, M.D., Ph.D.
Department and Interdepartmental Affiliations
BA Medicine, Tongi Medical University 1999
MS Internal Medicine, Tongi Medical University 2002
Ph.D. Cell Biology, University of Alberta 2006
Post-doc, Neuroendocrinology, University of Texas Southwestern 2009
Instructor, Neuroendocrinology, University of Texas Southwestern 2010
Awards & Honors
- 1994-1999 Excellent Student Scholarships, Tongji Medical College
- 1995-1998 Federal General Scholarships, Federal Pharmaceutic Inc.
- 1999 Outstanding Graduate Award, Tongji Medical College
- 2000 Excellent Student Cadre Awards, Tongji Medical College
- 2000, 2001 Excellent Graduate Scholarships, Tongji Medical College
- 2002 Outstanding Graduate Award, Tongji Medical College
- 2003 Canadian Association for Neuroscience Travel Award
- 2003 J Gordin Kaplan Graduate Student Travel Award, University of Alberta
- 2003-2004 FS Chia Ph. D. Scholarship, University of Alberta
- 2005 75th Anniversary Award, University of Alberta
- 2005 Andrew Stewart Memorial Graduate Prize, University of Alberta
- 2005-2007 Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship, Killam Trustee
- 2005-2006 Doctoral Research Award, Heart and Stoke Foundation of Canada
- 2006 Young Investigator Forum Travel Award, Canadian Institute of Health Research
- 2007-2009 Postdoctoral Research Award, Canadian Institute of Health Research
- 2009-2013 NIH Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00)
- 2011 DERC Pilot & Feasibility Project Grant (P30)
- 2011-2014 American Diabetes Association Basic Science Award
- 2011-2015 American Heart Association National Scientist Development Grant (declined)
- 2011-2012 Naman Family Fund for Basic Research
- 2011-2012 Curtis Hankamer Basic Research Fund
- 2011-2016 NIH (R01)
- 2012-2014 Klarman Family Foundation for Eating Disorders
Books & Book Chapters
Xu Y and Clegg DJ. Brain Estrogens and Metabolism. In “Environment and breast Cancer”.
Corresponding Author Publications
- Zhu L, Yang Y, Xu P, Zou F, Yan X, Liao L, Xu J, O’Malley BW, Xu Y. Steroid receptor co-activator-1 mediates estrogenic actions to prevent body weight gain in female mice. Endocrinology 2012 (in press).
- Tong Q and Xu Y. Central Leptin Regulation of Obesity and Fertility. Current Obesity Reports 2012 (in press).
- Xu Y (corresponding author), Faulkner LD and Hill JW. Cross-talk between metabolism and reproduction: The Role of POMC and SF-1 Neurons. Frontiers in Systems and Translational Endocrinology 2012 Jan 4; 2: 1-13.
- Xu Y and Krukoff TL. Adrenomedullin stimulates nitric oxide production from primary rat hypothalamic neurons: roles of calcium and phosphatases. Molecular Pharmacology. 2007 Jul;72(1):112-20. PMID: 17446268.
- Xu Y and Krukoff TL. Adrenomedullin in the rostral ventrolateral medulla inhibits baroreflex control of heart rate: a role for protein kinase A. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2006 May;148(1):70-7. PMID: 16501581.
- Xu Y and Krukoff TL. Adrenomedullin stimulates nitric oxide release from SK-N-SH human neuroblastoma cells by modulating intracellular calcium mobilization. Endocrinology. 2005 May;146(5):2295-305. PMID: 15677761.
- Xu Y and Krukoff TL. Adrenomedullin in the rostral ventrolateral medulla increases arterial pressure and heart rate: roles of glutamate and nitric oxide. American Journal of Physiology- Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2004 Oct;287(4):R729-34. PMID: 15178541.
- Xu Y and Krukoff TL. Decrease in arterial pressure induced by adrenomedullin in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus of is mediated by nitric oxide and GABA. Regulatory Peptides 119: 21-30, 2004. PMID: 15093693.
- Additional Publications
- Xu Y, Zhou L, Qian W, Xie X and Hou X. Relationship between the expression of calcitonin gene-related peptide and gastrohypersensitivity in non-ulcer dyspepsia patients. Chinese Journal of Digestive Diseases 23(5): 285-288, 2003.
- Xu Y. Choice of disinfectors for endoscopes. Chinese Journal of Endoscopy 8(7): 28-30, 2002.
- Xu Y and Hou X. Orphanin FQ and gastrointestinal motility. Foreign Medical Sciences 22(1):14-16, 2002.