Center for Pediatric Abdominal Pain Research
Who We Are
The Recurrent Abdominal Pain Program is led by Dr. Robert Shulman, a practicing pediatric gastroenterologist at Texas Children’s Hospital, Ben Taub Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine. Our team consists of physicians, psychologists, nurses, study coordinators and laboratory personnel.
We are dedicated to research focused on the treatment and causes of recurrent (functional) abdominal pain disorders in children, including genetic and environmental factors, as well as the role of nutrition.
What We Do
Some of the research studies we conduct include:
- Studying physiological attributes such as alterations in the gastrointestinal and nervous systems
- Investigating how psychological factors can affect symptoms
- Defining the contribution of genetics
- Investigating how the immune system and inflammation may contribute
- Studying how bacteria may play a role in affecting symptoms
- Identifying how certain treatments may improve symptoms