Teresia O'Connor, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine
Resident Primary Care Group at Texas Children's Hospital (General Pediatrics)
Clinical fax: 832-825-9005
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, Academic General Pediatric Fellowship
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, Internship and Residency in Pediatrics
M.P.H. – University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX
M.D. - University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI
BS - University of Wisconsin, Molecular Biology, Madison, WI
My research focuses on understanding how parents influence their children’s obesity-related behaviors through the framework of parenting styles and parenting practices in order to identifying strategies to best prevent and treat childhood obesity. For example, our recent work (1) helped identify how food related parenting practices used in combination effect low-income preschool children’s fruit and vegetable intake, in order to develop a more comprehensive measure of food parenting; (2) investigated health and nutrition professionals’ perceived effectiveness of parenting practices intended to promote fruit and vegetable intake in children, across 6 countries; and (3) assessed the feasibility of an Obesity “Prevention Plus” intervention (Helping HAND ) for pediatric primary care clinics targeting children 5-8 years old, along with their parent’s behavior-specific parenting practices. I am the PI on an on-going NICHD funded project (1 R21 HD060925) to investigate parenting and neighborhood environmental influences on Hispanic preschool children’s physical activity.
- Baranowski T, Chen TA, O'Connor T, Hughes S, Beltran A, Frankel L, Diep C, Baranowski JC. Dimensions of vegetable parenting practices among preschoolers. Appetite. 2013 in press.
- O'Connor, T., Chen, T.A., Baranowski, J., Thompson, D., Baranowski, T. Physical activity and screen-media related parenting practices have different associations with children’s objectively measured physical activity. Childhood Obesity. 2013. In press
- Del Rio Rodrigues, B., Hilmers, A., O’Connor, T. Hispanic parents of overweight and obese children and their outcome expectations for children’s TV viewing: a qualitative study. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2013. Epublished ahead of print July 11, 2013
- O’Connor, T., Hingle, M., Chuang, R.J., Gorely, T., Hinkley, T., Jago, R., Lanigan, J., Pearson, N., Thompson, D. Conceptual Understanding of Screen Media Parenting: Report of a Working Group. Childhood Obesity. 2013. 9(Suppl 1) S110-S118
- Baranowski, T., O’Connor, T., Hughes, S., Sleddens, E., Beltran, A., Frankel, L., Mendoza, J., Baranowski, J. Houston… We Have a Problem! Measurement of Parenting. Childhood Obesity. 2013. 9(Suppl 1) S1-S4
- O’Connor TM, Cerin E, Hughes SO, Robles J, Thompson D, Baranowski T, Lee E R, Nicklas T, Shewchuk RM. What Hispanic parents do to encourage and discourage 3-5 year old children to be active: a qualitative study using nominal group technique. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2013. 10:93.
- Chen, TA., O'Connor, TM., Hughes, So., Frankel, L., Baranowski, J., Mendoza, JA., Thompson D., Baranowski T. TV Parenting Practices: Is the same scale appropriate for parents of children of different ages? International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2013.10(41)
- O’Connor, T., Cerin, E., Robles, J., Lee, R., Kerr, J., Butte, N., Mendoza, J., Thompson, D., Baranowski, T. Feasibility study to objectively assess activity and location of Hispanic preschoolers: a short communication. Geospatial Health. 2013. 7(2) 375-380
- Baranowski, T., Beltran, A., Chen, T.A. O’Connor, T., Hughes, S., Buday, R., Baranowski, J. “Structure of corrective feedback for selection of ineffective vegetable parenting practices for use in a simulation videogame. Games for Health Journal. 2013. 2(1)
- Baranowski, T., Chen, T.A. Mendoza, J., O’Connor, T., Baranowski, J., Jago, R. Prospective BMI category change associated with cardiovascular fitness change. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2013.45(2)294-298
- Ledoux, T., Hilmers, A., Watson, K., Baranowski, T., O’Connor, T., Development and feasibility of an objective measure of patient centered communication fidelity in a pediatric obesity intervention. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2013. 45(4)349-354
- O’Connor, T., Hilmers, A., Watson, K., Baranowski, T., Giardino, A., Feasibility of an Obesity Intervention for Pediatric Primary Care Targeting Parenting and Children: Helping HAND. Child: Care, Health and Development. 2013. 39(1)141-149. Epub 2011 Nov 9
- Sleddens, E., Kremers, S., Hughes, S., Cross, M., Thijs, C., De Vries, N., O’Connor, T. Physical Activity parenting: a systematic review of questionnaires and their association with child activity levels. Obesity Reviews. 2012. 13(11):1015-1033
- Baranowski, T., Baranowski, J., O’Connor, T., Shirong, A., Thompson, D. Is Enhanced Physical Activity Possible Using Active Videogames? Games for Health Journal. 2012 1(3) 228-232
- Beltran, A., O’Connor, TM., Hughes, S., Baranowski, J., Nicklas, T., Thompson, D., Baranowski, T. Alpha Testing of a Videogame to Increase Children’s Vegetable Consumption. Games for Health. 2012 1(3)219-222.
- Frankel, LA., Hughes, SO., O'Connor, TM., Power, TG., Fisher JO., Hazen NL., Parental influences on children’s self-regulation of energy intake: Insights from developmental literature on emotion regulation. Journal of Obesity. 2012 e-published ahead of print
- Sleddens, E., Hughes, SO., O’Connor, TM., Beltran, A., Baranowski, JC., Nicklas, TA., Baranowski, T., The children’s behavior questionnaire very short scale: psychometric properties and development of a one-item temperament scale. Psychological Reports. 2012. 110(1):1-21
- Hilmers, A., Cullen, K W., Moore, C., O'Connor, T. Exploring the association between household food insecurity, parental self-efficacy and fruit and vegetable parenting practices among parents of 5-8 year old overweight children. Journal of Applied Research on Children. 2012. 3(1) art5
- Baranowski, T., Abdelsamad, D., Baranowski, J., O’Connor, T., Thompson, D., Barnett, A., Cerin, E., Chen, TA. Impact of an active videogame on healthy children’s physical activity. Pediatrics. 2012. 129:e636-e642
- Hingle, M., Beltran, A., O’Connor, T., Thompson, D., Baranowski, J., Baranowski, T. A Model of Goal Directed Vegetable Parenting Practices. Appetite. Appetite. 2012. 58:444-449
- Beltran, A; Hingle, M; Knesek, J; O’Connor, T.; Baranowski, J.; Thompson, D.; Baranowski, T. Identifying and clarifying values and reasons statements that promote effective food parenting practices, using intensive interviews. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2011 43(6) 531-535
- Hingle, M., O'Connor, T.M., Dave, J.M., Baranowski, T. Parental Involvement in Interventions to Improve Child Dietary Intake: A Systematic Review. Preventive Medicine. 2010.51.103-111
- O’Connor, T., Watson, K., Hughes, S., Beltran, A., Hingle, M., Baranowski, J., Campbell, K., Juvinyà Canal, D., Pérez Lizaur, A.B., Zacarías, I., González, D., Nicklas, T., Baranowski, T. Health and nutrition professionals’ perceived effectiveness of fruit and vegetable parenting practices across six countries. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2010.110(7):1065-1071
- O’Connor, T., Hughes, S.O., Watson, K.B., Baranowski, T., Nicklas, T.A., Fisher J.O., Beltran A., Baranowski, J.C., Qu, H., Shewchuk, R.M. Parenting practices are associated with fruit and vegetable consumption in preschool children. Public Health Nutrition. 2010.13(1) 91-101.
- O’Connor, T., Jago, R., Baranowski,T. Engaging parents to increase youth physical activity: A systematic review. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 37(2) 141-149. 2009
- Hughes S., O’Connor T., Power T., Parenting and children’s eating patterns: Examining control in a broader context. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health. 1(4): 323-330. 2008.
- O’Connor, T., Yang, S., Nicklas, T. Beverage intake among preschool children and its effect on weight status. Pediatrics, 118: e1010-e1018. 2006