Barbara Savoldo, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Pediatrics
Section of Hematology-Oncology
Baylor College of Medicine
- M.D., University of Parma, Italy
- Fellow, Department of Hematology, University of Parma, Italy
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Cell and Gene Therapy
- Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Clinical Scientist Training Program
Dr. Savoldo’s research interest is in the development of in immunotherapy strategies for virus-associated malignancies and diseases. In collaboration with Dr. Rooney and Dr. Heslop, she developed protocols for treatment of EBV-lymphoma affecting recipients of solid organ transplant and for patients affected by chronic active EBV infection. In the research laboratory, Dr Savoldo is developing assays for early identification of patients at risk for developing EBV-associated diseases. She is also currently working on the development of immunotherapeutic strategies for treatment of non EBV-related Hodgkin Lymphoma and for improving function and persistence of gene modified T cells.
- Savoldo B, Cubbage M, Durett A, Goss J, Huls MH, Lopez T, Liu Z, Ling PD, Brenner MK, Heslop HE, Rooney CM. Generation of autologous Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-specific CD(4+)cytotoxic T cells (CTL) from naive individuals. J Immunol. 168:909-18, 2002.
- Savoldo B, Huls MH, Liu Z, Okamura T, Volk HD, Reinke P, Sabat R, Babel N, Jones JM, Webster-Cyriaque J, Gee AP, Brenner MK, Heslop HE, Rooney CM. Autologous Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-specific cytotoxic T cells for the treatment of persistent active EBV infection infection. Blood. 100:4059, 2002.
- Yotnda PN, Savoldo B, Charlet-Berguerand N, Rooney CM, Brenner MK. Targeted delivery of adenoviral vectors by cytotoxic T cells. Blood. 104:2272, 2004.
- Savoldo B, Goss G, Hammer M, Zhang Z, Lopez T, Gee AP, Lin YF, Quiros-Tejeira R, Reinke P, Schubert S, Gottschalk S, Finegold M, Brenner MK, Rooney CM, Heslop HE, Treatment of solid organ transplant recipients with autologous Epstein Barr virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL). Blood. 108:2942, 2006.
- Savoldo B, Rooney CM, Di Stasi A, Abken H, Hombach A, Foster AE, Zhang L, Heslop HE, Brenner MK, Dotti G. Epstein barr virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes expressing the anti-CD30z artificial chimeric T-cell receptor for immunotherapy of Hodgkin's disease. Blood. 110: 2620, 2007.
- Quintarelli C, Vera J, Savoldo B, Giordano Attaniese G, Foster A, Pule M, Heslop HE, Rooney CM, Brenner MK, Dotti G. Co-expression of cytokine and suicide genes to enhance the activity and safety of tumor specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Blood. 110: 2793, 2007.
- Quintarelli C, Dotti G, De Angelis B, Hoyos V, Mims M, Luciano L, Heslop HE, Rooney, CM, Pane F, Savoldo B. Cytotoxic T lymphocytes directed to the Preferentially Expressed Antigen of Melanoma (PRAME) target chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood. 112:1876-85, 2008.
- Pule MA, Savoldo B, Myers GD, Rossig C, Russell HV, Dotti G, Huls MH, Liu E, Gee AP, Mei Z, Yvon E, Weiss HL, Liu H, Rooney CM, Heslop HE, Brenner MK. Virus-specific T cells engineered to coexpress tumor-specific receptors: persistence and antitumor activity in individuals with neuroblastoma. Nat Med. 14: 1264-70, 2008.