Jed Nuchtern, M.D.
Department of Pediatrics
Section of Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
- A.B., Princeton University
- A.M., Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
The primary focus of Dr. Nuchtern's laboratory is developing more effective immunotherapy for pediatric solid tumors, with special emphasis on neuroblastoma. This work includes identification of tumor-specific antigens as well as optimization of strategies for separation and expansion of reactive lymphocytes.
In addition to these studies on tumor immunology, research efforts on differential gene expression have led to identification of genes that are up- or down-regulated in high-risk neuroblastoma. Current efforts in this area focus on identifying and validating molecular targets for prevention of tumor growth and progression.
- Rossig C, Bollard CM, Nuchtern JG, Rooney CM, Brenner MK. Targeting malignancies with EBV-specific human T lymphocytes expressing antitumor chimeric T cell receptors. Blood 99(6): 2009-16, 2002.
- Shohet JM, Hicks MJ, Plon SE, Burlingame SM, Stuart S, Chen SY, Brenner MK, Nuchtern JG. Replication licensing factor MCM7 is a direct transcriptional target of MYCN and is differentially expressed in MYCN-amplified neuroblastoma. Cancer Research 62(4):1123-8, 2002.
- Rossig C, Bollard CM, Nuchtern JG, Merchant, DA, Brenner MK. Targeting of neuroblastoma tumor cells by human T lymphocytes engineered to express GD2-specific chimeric T cell receptor genes. Int J Cancer 94(2):228-36, 2001.
- Sarkar AF, Burlingame SM, Zang YQ, Dulai V, Hicks MJ, Strother D, Nuchtern JG. MHC-restricted lysis of neuroblastoma cell lines by autologous cytotoxic T-lymphocytes. J Immunother. 24:305-311, 2001.
- Cass DL, Hawkins D, Brandt ML, Chintagumpala M, Bloss RS, Milewicz AL, Minifee MK, Wesson DE, Nuchtern JG. Surgery for Ovarian Masses in Infants, Children, and Adolescents: 102 Consecutive Patients over 15 Years. J Pediatr Surg 36(5):693-9, 2001.
- Rossig C, Nuchtern JG, Brenner MK. Selection of human antitumor single-chain Fv antibodies from the B-cell repertoire of patients immunized against autologous neuroblastoma. Med Pediatr Oncol. 35:692-5, 2000.
- Sarkar AK, Nuchtern JG, Lysis of MYCN-amplified neuroblastoma cells by MYCN peptide-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Cancer Research 60: 7, 1908-13, 2000.
- Brenner MK, Heslop H, Krance R, Horowitz M, Strother D, Nuchtern J, Grilley B, Martingano E, Cooper K. Phase I study of chemokine and cytokine gene-modified autologous neuroblastoma cells for treatment of relapsed/refractory neuroblastoma using an adenoviral vector. Hum Gene Ther. 11:1477-88, 2000.
- Kerr JZ, Hicks J, Nuchtern JG, Chintagumpala M: Gastrointestinal Autonomic Nerve Tumors in the Pediatric Population: A Report of Four Cases and Review of the Literature. Cancer 85:220-30, 1999.
- Gross E, Chen MK, Lobe TE, Nuchtern JG, Rao BN: Infradiaphragmatic extralobar pulmonary sequetration masquerading as an intra-abdominal, suprarenal mass. Pediatr Surg Internat 12:529-531, 1997.
- Hsu VW, Yuan LC, Nuchtern JG, Lippncott-Schwartz J, Hammerling GJ, Klausner RD: A recycling pathway between the endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi apparatus underlies the retention of unassembled MHC Class I molecules. Nature 352:441-444, 1991.
- Nuchtern JG, Biddison WE, Klausner RD: Class II MHC molecules can use the endogenous pathway of antigen presentation. Nature 343:74-76, 1990.
- Nuchtern JG, Bonifacino JS, Biddison WE, Klausner R: Brefeldin A implicates egress from the endoplasmic reticulum in Class I restricted antigen presentation. Nature 339:223-226, 1989.