Genetically Engineered Mouse Shared Resource
(Francesco J. DeMayo, Ph.D., Director; Monica Justice, Ph.D., Co-Director)
The mission of the Genetically Engineered Mouse (GEM) Shared Resource is to aid Cancer Center Investigators with the design and execution of experiments, to utilize animal models for the investigation of the progression of cancer, and to conduct preclinical evaluation of therapies for the treatment of cancer.
Generation of Transgenic Mice by the Microinjection of DNA. This service will include:
- Injection of traditional DNA constructs, into the pronucleus of the one-cell mouse embryo and the generation of mice.
- Injection of BAC DNA constructs , into the pronucleus of the one-cell mouse embryo and the generation of mice.
- Culture of one cell mouse embryos with Lentivirus’ containing transgenes and the generation of mice.
The GEM Shared Resource will generate mutant mice by the culture and manipulation of Embryonic Stem Cells. This service will include:
- ES cell electroporation of DNA into ES cells.
- ES cell clone expansion.
- Generation of primary ES cells
- ES cell microinjection into blastocyst and the generation of chimeric mice.
- The generation of ES cells from recombinant mouse strains.
- Murine Virus Testing
The GEM Shared Resource will aid Cancer Center Investigators by the cryopreservation and rederivation of strains of genetically engineered animal models. These services will include
- Embryo cryopreservation, recovery for storage and embryo transfer to regenerate genetically engineered mouse lines.
- Sperm Cryopreservation, recovery from storage, in vitro fertilization and and embryo transfer to regenerate genetically engineered mouse lines.
- Embryo transfer from imported strains into SPF facility.
The GEM Shared Resource will coordinate the production of animals for experimental analysis for Investigators. This service will include:
- The combining superovulation and embryo transfer to rapidly provide Investigators with mice needed for experimental studies.
Charge Back Fees
Fees: Please, see the charge back fees list for detailed prices.
Forms: Please, see the service request page for ordering forms for the culture of ES cells. For all other services, members must be registered with MEMS and submit an electronic request through MEMS (registration forms).
Genetically Engineered Mouse Embryo Manipulation Laboratory
Transgenic Mouse Facility Tower
One Baylor Plaza, R223
Houston, Texas 77030
Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells Core Facility
Alkek Building for Biomedical Research
One Baylor Plaza, R51B
Houston, Texas 77030
Francesco J. DeMayo, Ph.D.
Jie Yang, B.S.
Research Technician III
Isabel Lorenzo, B.S.
Janet L. DeMayo, M.S.
Senior Research Assistant.
Dongcai Liang, M.D.
Research Assistant II
Please contact us through the GEM Homepage.