skip to content »

Dan L. Duncan Cancer Center

Houston, Texas

BCM has 25 departments and more than 90 research and patient-care centers.
Dan L. Duncan Cancer Center
not shown on screen

Cancer Proteomic and Metabolomic Core Facility

Director and PI: Dean P. Edwards, Ph.D.

Overview

The newly funded Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Cancer Proteomic and Metabolomic Core Facility provides consultation, instruments and technical support for cancer research projects. The facility will operate differently than a standard fee-for-service Core. Projects will be conducted as a collaboration with the CPRIT grant providing the majority of the financial support. There will be no charge for equipment time or equipment maintenance. The CPRIT grant will cover 75% of the cost of consumable supplies and the technical staff time applied to projects. The investigator will pay the remaining 25% of costs that will be collected by invoice at the completion of each project.

Services

The Cancer Proteomic and Metabolomic Core Facility will provide the following research support services:

  1. Mass spectrometry identification of protein complexes and their interacting protein networks and pathways. This work will be conducted under the direction of Drs. Jun Qin and Sung Yun Jung with a Thermo Fisher LTQ Orbitrap Elite 1000 mass spectrometer.
  2. Antibody-based reverse-phase protein microarrays (RPMA) to quantitatively analyze specific protein pathways and their activation states with large sample sets (tissue or cells). More than 200 validated antibodies are available for RPMAs. This work will be conducted by Drs. Shixia Huang and Dean Edwards using an Aushon 2470 robotic protein arrayer and a DAKO high throughput auto-slide immunostainer.
  3. Targeted measurement of metabolites by multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) mass spectrometry. Assays for > 225 metabolites are available. This work will be conducted by Dr. Arun Sreekumar using an Agilent 6490 Triple Quadrupole mass spectrometer.

View the list of currently available metabolites to be measured by mass spectrometry and validated antibodies for RPMA assays. For metabolomics, we plan to build assays for additional targets as needed for projects. For RPMAs, the initial focus is with validated antibodies to proteins involved in EMT and cancer stem cells (self-renewal), cell proliferation and growth factor signaling, apoptosis, DNA damage/repair and Stat/cytokine signaling pathways. The Core will also be engaged in an on-going effort to validate antibodies to additional protein targets. If metabolites or proteins are not on the current list, we will negotiate development of assays for additional targets required for projects.

Project Requirements

All projects will require submission of a short (2 page) request for project (RFP) application that will be reviewed for feasibility, appropriateness for the available technology platforms, cancer relevance and scientific merit. Approved RFPs will be prioritized, scheduled accordingly, and specifics of each project will be designed prior to initiation. The deadline for receipt of RFPs for the first round of projects is Oct. 5. Other RFPs will be announced periodically during they year. Publications that result from the work of the CPRIT Core facility will require co-authorship for the key involved scientist(s) in the Core facility and acknowledgement of the CPRIT grant (Proteomics and Metabolomics Core Facility RP 120092).

Request for Project (RFP) can be completed and submitted to metabprotcore@bcm.edu.

The deadline for receipt of RFPs for the first round of projects is Oct. 5.

Other calls for RFPs will be announced periodically during the year.

E-mail this page to a friend