Guidelines for Adjuvant Herceptin Cardiac Testing and Frequency of Administration
Suggested testing: 2-D Echocardiogram or MUGA
Frequency of cardiac testing:
- Healthy patients – no baseline prior to Adriamycin and Cytoxan (AC).
- Baseline for all patients – following AC and prior to initiation of Herceptin.
- For patients undergoing nine months of Herceptin alone, repeat testing every 4 months.
- For patients undergoing nine week treatment program of Herceptin, only the baseline testing is required. (Described in Kellokumpa-Lehtinin, J.H., et al. Trastuzamab in combination with docetaxel or vinorelbine as adjuvant treatment of breast cancer: the FinHer Trial. Proc SABCS 2005; 94 (Supp 1):S5 [abstract 2]).
Frequency of Herceptin administration:
- Routine administration will be every three weeks.
- For patient undergoing weekly Herceptin and a taxane, every three week Herceptin will be initiated at the completion of the weekly Herceptin/Taxane treatment. This will begin the week following the completion of the combined treatments.
Developed on Jan. 25, 2006 by:
Powel Brown, M.D.
Jenny Chang, M.D.
Richard Elledge, M.D.
Mamta Kalidas, M.D.
Rush Lynch, M.D.
Kent Osborne, M.D.
Suzanne Perez, RN, BSN
Mari Rude, RN, ANP