What to Expect During Your Visit
Upon arrival at the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Care Center, please sign in at the reception desk.
If you are coming to the Breast Care Center for the first time, you will be asked to fill out a brief medical history questionnaire. It is also necessary for you to bring all of your medications or a list that includes the name of the drug and the dosage. The following will happen after you arrive:
- One of our medical assistants will take your vital signs, height, and weight. Your picture will be taken as part of our electronic medical record.
- The medical assistant or nurse in the specimen collection room will obtain any blood tests or other laboratory tests that may be ordered.
- You will be taken to an examination room by the medical assistant where your physician will see you. We encourage family members or a friend to come with you so that they can listen to the physician with you and take notes.
- If you are coming to the center for the first time, it is important to have copies of your medical records in order to get the most information from your visit. This may include reports of all recent mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies or surgeries related to your breast problem. Please bring the actual mammogram and/or ultrasound films, chest X-rays, CT scans, bone scans, or other X-rays with you to the appointment.
- You may need to sign an authorization to release your medical records before obtaining your films, reports, pathology slides, etc. from the facility where the procedures were performed.
- If you are having a mammogram before you see the doctor, it should be scheduled one to two hours prior to your visit with your physician. If you would like your mammogram performed in the Breast Care Center, you may schedule an appointment by calling 713-798-2300. When you arrive at the Center, please tell the receptionist that you will be having a mammogram prior to meeting with your physician.
- You should expect to be seen by your physician within 15 minutes of being placed in an examination room. The first visit usually lasts ½ to 1½ hours. Follow-up or return visits are usually shorter. If further studies or procedures are needed, every attempt will be made to perform these services on the same day. Some procedures may need to be scheduled on another day and can be arranged while you are in the Center.
- When you have completed your visit at the Breast Care Center, you will be directed to the checkout and billing areas. Your next appointment and any further tests will be scheduled at that time.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Suzanne Perez, Clinic Manager, at 713-798-1982
Mari Rude, Patient Care Coordinator: at 713- 798-1984
Zena Williams at 713- 798-1996
Michelle Young at 713-798-1963