- No food or drink is allowed in lab portion of Cytometry and Cell Sorting Core.
- Users must dispose of their sample tubes in their own laboratory.
- Please disclaim on the CCSC Obsidian reservation system in note section if your sample contains a hazardous chemical.
- The core supplies you with gloves only and not lab jackets.
- No open toes shoes or shorts are allowed.
- In the event of a fire alarm, place the instrument in stand-by and leave the premises. If not, you will be placed on probation or denied access by the core director.
- When disposing of the waste, a cover must be on the tank when moving to and from the sink.
- Your Baylor ID card is not to be shared with anyone to gain access to the core. If this does occur, you will be denied access to the core and reported to the Baylor Security.
- Cell populations to be analyzed on the LSRII or sorted on the FACSAria cannot contain radionuclides or infectious agents. Specifically, it is not permissible to bring cells into the Flow Core for analysis that contain radioactive substances (eg, P-32) or are known to be infected with bacteria, viruses or fungi. Examples would include cells known to be producing infectious virus such as EBV or HIV. This policy is enforced because flow cytometers generate aerosols, which we cannot contain during analysis or sorting.
Sign-up and Log
- Sign up is done from our online web page: https://bcm.corefacilities.org/service_center/show_external/2935/bcm_ccsc.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your reserved time you forfeit that time if someone else is waiting.
- You must cancel in advance of your reserved time, or you will be billed. You are not required to use all of your reserved time.
- Supply reservoir should be FULL and waste reservoir should be EMPTY.
- Leave no more than 1ml of H20 on SIP.
- Leave the cytometer in STANDBY if another user is scheduled after you.
- Either LOG OFF from the computer or SHUTDOWN the cytometer and computer if you are the last user.
- User Error: A clear example of operator error is when the air and vacuum lines on the sheath and waste tanks are improperly connected. These lines are color coded to allow for easy identification and connection. Improper connection of these lines disrupts the fluidics of the LSRII and requires a service call.
- POLICY: Since this is a clear and preventable user error, the user will be billed for the down time on the cytometer and any parts not covered by the service contract.
Computer and data storage
- ACQUIRE data files to the database, then export and TRANSFER data files to the server, memory device or burn a CD and DELETE your experiment in the database.
- Each lab is given 100MB of storage space in the flow core. You may keep the data there as long as you want.
- The core does not archive your data or templates, so please remember to do so.
- When connecting to the server/network or burning CD’s, please use supplemental handouts.