- Center for Medical Ethics & Health Policy (Office)
- BCM-Jewish Institute for Research Room: BCMD-310DPA Mail Stop: BCM420 Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-4174 Stephanie.Morain@bcm.edu
- Assistant Professor
- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- AB from Lafayette College
- Biology, History, Government, & Law
- MPH from Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- PhD from Harvard University
- Health Policy
Honors & Awards
- Hastings Center David Roscoe Early Career Scholar Award 2019
- The ethics and politics of public health policy
- Ethical and policy challenges presented by the transition to learning health care systems
- Public and stakeholder attitudes towards health policies
- Research ethics
Stephanie Morain is an Assistant Professor in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy. She conducts both empirical and normative research into issues at the intersection of ethics, law, and health policy. She also directs the BCM Health Policy Pathway for undergraduate medical education.
Her work examines ethical and policy challenges presented by the integration of research and care, particularly issues pertaining to learning health care systems and pragmatic clinical trials. Other research interests include public health law, and the ethics and politics of disease control, injury prevention, and women’s reproductive health.
Stephanie received her AB from Lafayette College with a dual major in Biology and History, Government, & Law, her MPH from Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, and her PhD from Harvard University's Interfaculty Initiative in Health Policy. She completed her postdoctoral training at the Berman Institute for Bioethics at Johns Hopkins University.
- Morain SR, Winickoff JP, Mello MM,. "Have Tobacco 21 Laws Come of Age?." N Engl J Med. 2016 March 23 Pubmed PMID: 27007697
- Morain SR, Wootton SH, Eppes C.. "A Devastating Delay - Zika and the Implementation Gap.." N Engl J Med.. 2017 October 19;377(16):1505-1507. Pubmed PMID: 29045206
- Morain SR, Crifasi CK. "Time to Pull the Trigger? Examining the Ethical Permissibility of Minimum Age Restrictions for Gun Ownership and Use. Preventative Medicine.." Prev Med.. 2019(118):205-209. Pubmed PMID: 30412741
- Morain SR, Schoen L, Marty M, Schwartz EB. "Parental Leave, Lactation, and Childcare Policies at Top US Schools of Public Health." 2019 March 21 Pubmed PMID: 30896996