- Center for Medical Ethics & Health Policy (Office)
- BCM-Jewish Institute for Research Room: BCMD-310DPA Mail Stop: BCM420 Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-4174 Stephanie.Morain@bcm.edu
- Assistant Professor
- Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- AB from Lafayette College
- Biology, History, Government, & Law
- MPH from Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- PhD from Harvard University
- Health Policy
- The ethics and politics of public health policy
- Ethical and policy challenges presented by the transition to learning health care systems
- Public and stakeholder attitudes towards health policies
Stephanie Morain is an Assistant Professor in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy. She conducts both empirical and normative research into issues at the intersection of ethics, law, and health policy.
Her work examines political and ethical issues concerning the scope of government authority in public health and the role of stakeholder opinion in shaping decision-making in public health policy. Specific research interests include the ethics and politics of disease control and injury prevention; public health law; and ethical and policy challenges presented by the transition to learning health care systems.
Stephanie received her AB from Lafayette College with a dual major in Biology and History, Government, & Law, her MPH from Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, and her PhD from Harvard University's Interfaculty Initiative in Health Policy. She completed her postdoctoral training at the Berman Institute for Bioethics at Johns Hopkins University.
- Morain SR, Winickoff JP, Mello MM,. "Have Tobacco 21 Laws Come of Age?." N Engl J Med. 2016 March 23 Pubmed PMID: 27007697
- Morain SR, Wootton SH, Eppes C.. "A Devastating Delay - Zika and the Implementation Gap.." N Engl J Med.. 2017 October 19;377(16):1505-1507. Pubmed PMID: 29045206
- Morain SR, Tambor E, Moloney R, et al. "Stakeholder perspectives regarding alternate approaches to informed consent for comparative effectiveness research." Learning Health Systems 2017. 2017 December 5
- Morain SR, Malek J.. "Minimum Age of Sale for Tobacco Products and Electronic Cigarettes: Ethical Acceptability of US “Tobacco 21 Laws”." Am J Public Health.. 2017;107(9):1401-1405. Pubmed PMID: 28727531