- Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD)
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- BS from University of Michigan
- Cellular and Molecular Biology, Statistics
- Developmental Biology
- Mentor: Hugo Bellen, D.V.M., Ph.D.
I am interested in combining patient genomic data with Drosophila genetics to understand fundamental biological processes.
The etiology of rare diseases is often unknown. Although sequencing data from these patients yield candidate genes, we often lack functional validation. Drosophila and its powerful genetic tools can efficiently validate the disease-causing genetic variants and allow us to pursue the underlying mechanisms of disease.
My project involves taking novel candidate disease causing genes from patients and determining pathogenic variants in Drosophila. Furthermore, because many of these candidates lack functional annotation, I hope to dissect their roles in basic biological mechanisms.
- Julia Wang*, Rami Al-Ouran*, Yanhui Hu*, Seon-Young Kim*, Ying-Wooi Wan, Michael F Wangler, Shinya Yamamoto, Hsiao-Tuan Chao, Aram Comjean, Stephanie E Mohr, Norbert Perrimon, Zhandong Liu, Hugo J Bellen. "MARRVEL: Integration of Human and Model Organism Genetic Resources to Facilitate Functional Annotation of the Human Genome." Am J Hum Genet. 2017 June 1 Pubmed PMID: 28502612
- Julia Wang, Emily Kim, Honzheng Dai, Vikki Stefans, Hannes Vogel, Fatma Al Jasmi, Samantha A Schrier Vergano, Diana Castro, Saunder Bernes, Vikas Bhambhani, Catherine Long, Ayman W El-Hattab, Lee-Jun Wong. "Clinical and molecular spectrum of thymidine kinase 2-related mtDNA maintenance defect." Mol Genet Metab. 2018 June Pubmed PMID: 29735374