- Molecular and Human Genetics
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- BS from University of South Carolina
- MD from Duke University School Of Medicine
- Honorary from University of South Carolina
Honors & Awards
- William G. Anylan, MD, Lifetime Achievement Award
- The genetic basis of schizophrenia and the discovery of schizophrenia disease genes
Dr. Caskey was the CEO of The Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine at UTHSC-Houston. Dr. Caskey served as Senior VP, Human Genetics and Vaccines Discovery at Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, and as President of the Merck Genome Research Institute.
Dr. Caskey is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Medical Genetics, and Molecular Genetics with 25 years of patient care experience. Member of: National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine (Chair, Board on Health Sciences Policy), Royal Society of Canada, past President: American Society of Human Genetics & Human Genome Organization, and Texas Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science. He is an editor of the Annual Reviews of Medicine.
Dr. Caskey received numerous academic and industry honors. His genetic research identified genetic basis of 25 major inheritable diseases and clarified the understanding of “anticipation” in triplet repeat diseases (Fragile X, myotonic dystrophy and over 25 others). His personal identification patent is the basis of worldwide application for forensic science and he is also a consultant to the FBI in forensic science.
Dr. Caskey is currently directing a program of Precision Medicine with Young Presidents Organization (YPO) co-sponsored by The Cullen Foundation for Higher Education. The program won the YPO International Award for most innovative education program. He is a Consultant to Human Longevity, Inc. and a member of the Board of Metabolon, Inc., both, leaders in precision medicine technology. Recent publications address the utility of genome wide sequencing to preventive adult onset diseases. His current research focuses on the application of whole genome sequence and metabolomics of individuals toward the objective of disease risk and its prevention.
- Long T, Hicks M, Yu HC, Biggs WH, Kirkness EF, Menni C, Zierer J, Small KS, Mangino M, Messier H, Brewerton S, Turpaz Y, Perkins BA, Evans AM, Miller LA, Guo L, Caskey CT, Schork NJ, Garner C, Spector TD, Venter JC, Telenti A. "Whole-genome sequencing identifies common-to-rare variants associated with human blood metabolites." Nat Genet. 2017 March 6 Pubmed PMID: 28263315
- Guo L, Milburn MV, Ryals JA, Lonergan SC, Mitchell MW, Wulff JE, Alexander DC, Evans AM, Bridgewater B, Miller L, Gonzalez-Garay ML, Caskey CT. "Plasma metabolomic profiles enhance precision medicine for volunteers of normal health." PNAS. 2015 September 1;112:E4901-10. Pubmed PMID: 26283345
- Tamar Harel, Davut Pehlivan, C. Thomas Caskey and James Lupski. "Mendelian, Non-Mendelian, Multigenic Inheritance, and Epigenetics in Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease Fifth Edition." 2014 November;1:3-27.
- Brownstein CA, Beggs AH, Homer N, Merriman B, Yu TW, Flannery KC, Gonzalez-Garay ML, Caskey CT, et al. "An international effort towards developing standards for best practices in analysis, interpretation and reporting of clinical genome sequencing results in the CLARITY Challenge." Genome Biol. 2014 March 25;15(3):R53. Pubmed PMID: 24667040
- Gonzalez-Garay ML, McGuire AL, Pereira S, Caskey CT. "Personalized genomic disease risk of volunteers." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110(42):16957-62. Pubmed PMID: 24082139
- Caskey CT, Gonzalez-Garay ML, Pereira S, McGuire AL. "Adult genetic risk screening." Annu Rev Med. 2014;65:1-17. Pubmed PMID: 24188662
- Schaaf CP, Gonzalez-Garay ML, Xia F, Potocki L, Gripp KW, Zhang B, Peters BA, McElwain MA, Drmanac R, Beaudet AL, Caskey CT, Yang Y. "Truncating mutations of MAGEL2 cause Prader-Willi phenotypes and autism." Nat Genet. 2013;45(11):1405-8. Pubmed PMID: 24076603
- Caskey CT. "Obituary: Marshall Nirenberg (1927-2010)." Nature. 2010 March 4;464(7285):44. Pubmed PMID: 20203601
- Caskey CT. "Using genetic diagnosis to determine individual therapeutic utility." Annu Rev Med. 2010;61:41289. Pubmed PMID: 19824818
- Caskey CT. "The drug development crisis: efficiency and safety." Annu Rev Med. 2007;58:1-16. Pubmed PMID: 17059362
- Bai C, Connolly B, Metzker ML, Hilliard CA, Liu X, Sandig V, Soderman A, Galloway SM, Liu Q, Austin CP, Caskey CT. "Overexpression of M68/DcR3 in human gastrointestinal tract tumors independent of gene amplification and its location in a four-gene cluster." Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2000 February 1;97(3):1230-5. Pubmed PMID: 10655513
- Brown SD, Twells RC, Hey PJ, Cox RD, Levy ER, Soderman AR, Metzker ML, Caskey CT, Todd JA, Hess JF. "Isolation and characterization of LRP6, a novel member of the low density lipoprotein receptor gene family." Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998 July 30;248(3):879-88. Pubmed PMID: 9704021
- Caskey CT. "Gene patents--a time to balance access and incentives." Trends Biotechnol. 1996 August;14(8):298-302. Pubmed PMID: 8987462
- Timchenko L, Nastainczyk W, Schneider T, Patel B, Hofmann F, Caskey CT. "Full-length myotonin protein kinase (72 kDa) displays serine kinase activity." Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1995 June 6;92(12):5366-70. Pubmed PMID: 7777513
- Ashizawa T, Wong LJ, Richards CS, Caskey CT, Jankovic J. "CAG repeat size and clinical presentation in Huntington's disease." Neurology. 1994 June;44(6):1137-43. Pubmed PMID: 8208412
- Redman JB, Fenwick RG, Fu YH, Pizzuti A, Caskey CT. "Relationship between parental trinucleotide GCT repeat length and severity of myotonic dystrophy in offspring." JAMA. 1993 April 21;269(15):1960-5. Pubmed PMID: 8464127
- Pieretti M, Zhang FP, Fu YH, Warren ST, Oostra BA, Caskey CT, Nelson DL. "Absence of expression of the FMR-1 gene in fragile X syndrome." Cell. 1991 August 23;66(4):817-22. Pubmed PMID: 1878973