- Associate Professor - Program Director Nephrology Training Program
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center, McNair Campus (Clinic)
7200 Cambridge St., 8th Floor, Suite 8B
Houston, TX 77030
- BS from Case Western Reserve University
- 05/2001 - Cleveland, Ohio United States
- Chemical Engineering
- M.D. from Baylor College Of Medicine
- 01/2005 - Houston, TX United States
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2008 - Houston, Texas United States
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 05/2010 - Houston, United States
- Fellowship at Emory University
- Atlanta, Georgia United States
- Fellowship in Renal Ultrasonography
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Rheumatologic and glomerular diseases, renal ultrasonography, peritoneal dialysis, chronic kidney disease, hypertension, and acid-base/electrolyte disturbances
Professional StatementI am an educator, clinician, and researcher at the Baylor College of Medicine. I direct several educational initiatives for students, residents, and fellows. I am a member of the Academy of Distinguished Educators, a graduate of the Master Teacher Fellowship Program, and a Masters in Education graduate student at the University of Houston (2019-2021).
I provide care for all types of patients with kidney disease, in particular patients with glomerular disease or end stage kidney disease on dialysis. I see outpatients at the Baylor College of Medicine McNair Campus, Harris Health Smith Clinic, and multiple dialysis clinics in the Greater Houston area. I have inpatient rounding privileges at Houston Methodist, Baylor St Luke's Medical Center, and Ben Taub General Hospital.
I am a world expert on the policies surrounding the care of undocumented patients with kidney disease. I am the tubulointerstitial nephritis section editor for Clinical Nephrology. My publications have been published in these prestigious journals: New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), and the American Journal of Kidney Disease (AJKD).
He is a respected clinician educator at the Baylor College of Medicine. Since 2015, he has served as the Program Director for the nephrology fellowship training program. He is an active member of the prestigious curriculum committee and former Chair of the foundational sciences sub-committee. He is also the renal pathophysiology course director. Dr. Raghavan's research interests include health disparity in disadvantaged populations, and in particular the care of undocumented immigrants with advanced kidney disease. He is a national authority on this subject and advocates for change in public policy.
As an educator, Dr. Raghavan enjoys educating his patients about their disease. Finally, he is an exceptional cellist and performs with the Texas Medical Center Orchestra.
Informative, educational, cartoon-style video on treatment options for patients with advanced kidney disease.
Performance of Cuban Overture (Gershwin)
- Raghavan R, Nuila R "Survivors--dialysis, immigration, and U.S. law.." N. Engl. J. Med.. 2011 June 9; 364 (23): 2183-5. Pubmed PMID: 21651391
- Raghavan R, Eknoyan G "Music, musicians, medicine, and the kidney." 2014 January ; 27 (1): 50-6. Pubmed PMID: 24033748
- Raghavan R "Understanding Electrolytes: 15 Interactive Teaching Cases.." MedEdPortal. 2013 :
- Raghavan R, Ferlic-Stark L, Clarke C, Rungta M, Goodgame R "The role of patient religiosity in the evaluation and treatment outcomes for chronic HCV infection.." J Relig Health. 2013 March ; 52 (1): 79-90. Pubmed PMID: 21246281
- Airy M1, Raghavan R, Truong LD, Eknoyan G "Tubulointerstitial nephritis and cancer chemotherapy: update on a neglected clinical entity.." Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013 September ; 28 (10): 2502-10. Pubmed PMID: 24009289
- Raghavan R "When Access to Chronic Dialysis is Limited: One Center's Approach to Emergent Hemodialysis.." Semin Dial. 2012 May ; 25 (3): 267-71. Pubmed PMID: 22494194
- Raghavan R, Jeroudi A, Achkar K, Suki W, Gaber AO, Knight R, Land G, Dilioglou S, Patel S, Abdellatif A "Bortezomib in kidney transplant desensitization: a case report.." Clin Transpl. 2009 : 339-42. Pubmed PMID: 20524295
- Berlinger N, Raghavan R. "Bending the Rules, Working the System, and the Temptation to Turf.." Hastings Ctr Report. 2013 January ; : 14-17. Pubmed PMID: 23315847
- Raghavan R. Sheikh-Hamad, D. "Descriptive Analysis of Undocumented Residents with End-Stage Renal Disease in Public Hospital System." Dialysis Transplantation. 2011 February ; (2): 45-48.
- Kuruvilla R, Raghavan R "Health care for undocumented immigrants in Texas: past, present, and future.." Tex Med. 2014 July ; 110 (7): e1. Pubmed PMID: 25147984
- Raghavan R, Eknoyan G "Acute interstitial nephritis - a reappraisal and update." Clin Nephrol. 2014 September ; 82 (3): 149-62. Pubmed PMID: 25079860
- Raghavan R; Hale J "Making Music." Am J Kid Disease. 2015 January ; 65 : A65-67. Pubmed PMID: 25523806
- Raghavan R, Winkelmayer WC "Treated and Untreated Kidney Failure: Quantifying an Outcome." Am J Kid Dis. 2016 August 1; 66 (2): 187-89. Pubmed PMID: 26210724
- Raghavan R "New Opportunities for Funding Dialysis-Dependent Undocumented Individuals." Clin J Am Soc Neph. 2017 February 8; 12 (2): 370-375. Pubmed PMID: 27577244
- Yuan CM, Little DJ, Marks ES, Watson MA, Raghavan R, Nee R "The Electronic Medical Record and Nephrology Fellowship Education in the United States: An Opinion Survey." Clin J Am Soc Neph. 2020 July ; 15 (7): 949-956. Pubmed PMID: 32576553
- Ajmal MS, Awosika-Olumo A, Raghavan R. "Traditional Medications Mixed with Ethylene Glycol in a Nigerian Patient on Hemodialysis.." Cureus. 2020 February ; 11 (12): Pubmed PMID: 32190500
- Chatterjee S, LeMaire SA, Amarasekara HS, Green SY, Price MD, Yanoff MS, Zhang Q, Raghavan R, Preventza O, de la Cruz KI, Coselli JS. "Early-Stage Acute Kidney Injury Adversely Affects Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair Outcomes.." Ann Thorac Surg. 2019 June ; 107 (6): Pubmed PMID: 30582925
- American Society of Nephrology
- Texas Medical Society
Log In to edit your profile