- Associate Professor - Program Director Nephrology Training Program
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center, McNair Campus (Clinic)
7200 Cambridge St., 8th Floor, Suite 8B
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-8355
- BS from Case Western Reserve University
- 05/2001 - Cleveland, Ohio United States
- Chemical Engineering
- M.D. from Baylor College Of Medicine
- 01/2005 - Houston, TX United States
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2008 - Houston, Texas United States
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 05/2010 - Houston, United States
- Fellowship at Emory University
- Atlanta, Georgia United States
- Fellowship in Renal Ultrasonography
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Rheumatologic and glomerular diseases, renal ultrasonography, peritoneal dialysis, chronic kidney disease, hypertension, and acid-base/electrolyte disturbances
Professional StatementI am an educator, clinician, and researcher at the Baylor College of Medicine (BCM). I direct several educational initiatives for students, residents, and fellows. I am a member of the Academy of Distinguished Educators, a graduate of the Master Teacher Fellowship Program, and a Masters in Education graduate student at the University of Houston (2019-2021).
I provide care for all types of patients with kidney disease, in particular patients with glomerular disease or end stage kidney disease on dialysis. I see outpatients at the Baylor College of Medicine McNair Campus, Harris Health Smith Clinic, and multiple dialysis clinics in the Greater Houston area. I have inpatient rounding privileges at Houston Methodist, Baylor St Luke's Medical Center, and Ben Taub General Hospital.
I am a world expert on the policies surrounding the care of undocumented patients with kidney disease. I am a section editor for Interstitial Nephritis for Clinical Nephrology. My publications have been published in these prestigious journals: New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), and the American Journal of Kidney Disease (AJKD).
Finally, education is my passion. I am a respected clinician educator and was voted by the 2019 BCM graduating class into the Alpha Omega Alpha society. I am the Program Director for the Nephrology fellowship training program (2015- ). I am a member of the ASN Diversity and Workforce Committee (2020 - ). In Undergraduate Medical Education, I have served on the prestigious curriculum committee (2012-2019) and played an integral role in creating its governance. I direct the Renal pathophysiology module at BCM.
My research interests include health disparity in disadvantaged populations, and in particular the care of undocumented immigrants with advanced kidney disease. He is a national authority on this subject and advocates for change in public policy.
Finally, I am an exceptional cellist and perform with the Texas Medical Center Orchestra.
Informative, educational, cartoon-style video on treatment options for patients with advanced kidney disease.
Performance of Cuban Overture (Gershwin)
- Raghavan R, Nuila R "Survivors--dialysis, immigration, and U.S. law.." N. Engl. J. Med.. 2011 June 9; 364 (23): 2183-5. Pubmed PMID: 21651391
- Raghavan R, Eknoyan G "Music, musicians, medicine, and the kidney." 2014 January ; 27 (1): 50-6. Pubmed PMID: 24033748
- Raghavan R "Understanding Electrolytes: 15 Interactive Teaching Cases.." MedEdPortal. 2013 :
- Raghavan R, Ferlic-Stark L, Clarke C, Rungta M, Goodgame R "The role of patient religiosity in the evaluation and treatment outcomes for chronic HCV infection.." J Relig Health. 2013 March ; 52 (1): 79-90. Pubmed PMID: 21246281
- Airy M1, Raghavan R, Truong LD, Eknoyan G "Tubulointerstitial nephritis and cancer chemotherapy: update on a neglected clinical entity.." Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013 September ; 28 (10): 2502-10. Pubmed PMID: 24009289
- Raghavan R "When Access to Chronic Dialysis is Limited: One Center's Approach to Emergent Hemodialysis.." Semin Dial. 2012 May ; 25 (3): 267-71. Pubmed PMID: 22494194
- Raghavan R, Jeroudi A, Achkar K, Suki W, Gaber AO, Knight R, Land G, Dilioglou S, Patel S, Abdellatif A "Bortezomib in kidney transplant desensitization: a case report.." Clin Transpl. 2009 : 339-42. Pubmed PMID: 20524295
- Berlinger N, Raghavan R. "Bending the Rules, Working the System, and the Temptation to Turf.." Hastings Ctr Report. 2013 January ; : 14-17. Pubmed PMID: 23315847
- Raghavan R. Sheikh-Hamad, D. "Descriptive Analysis of Undocumented Residents with End-Stage Renal Disease in Public Hospital System." Dialysis Transplantation. 2011 February ; (2): 45-48.
- Kuruvilla R, Raghavan R "Health care for undocumented immigrants in Texas: past, present, and future.." Tex Med. 2014 July ; 110 (7): e1. Pubmed PMID: 25147984
- Raghavan R, Eknoyan G "Acute interstitial nephritis - a reappraisal and update." Clin Nephrol. 2014 September ; 82 (3): 149-62. Pubmed PMID: 25079860
- Raghavan R; Hale J "Making Music." Am J Kid Disease. 2015 January ; 65 : A65-67. Pubmed PMID: 25523806
- Raghavan R, Winkelmayer WC "Treated and Untreated Kidney Failure: Quantifying an Outcome." Am J Kid Dis. 2016 August 1; 66 (2): 187-89. Pubmed PMID: 26210724
- Raghavan R "New Opportunities for Funding Dialysis-Dependent Undocumented Individuals." Clin J Am Soc Neph. 2017 February 8; 12 (2): 370-375. Pubmed PMID: 27577244
- Yuan CM, Little DJ, Marks ES, Watson MA, Raghavan R, Nee R "The Electronic Medical Record and Nephrology Fellowship Education in the United States: An Opinion Survey." Clin J Am Soc Neph. 2020 July ; 15 (7): 949-956. Pubmed PMID: 32576553
- Ajmal MS, Awosika-Olumo A, Raghavan R. "Traditional Medications Mixed with Ethylene Glycol in a Nigerian Patient on Hemodialysis.." Cureus. 2020 February ; 11 (12): Pubmed PMID: 32190500
- Chatterjee S, LeMaire SA, Amarasekara HS, Green SY, Price MD, Yanoff MS, Zhang Q, Raghavan R, Preventza O, de la Cruz KI, Coselli JS. "Early-Stage Acute Kidney Injury Adversely Affects Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair Outcomes.." Ann Thorac Surg. 2019 June ; 107 (6): Pubmed PMID: 30582925
- Tucker B, Pirkle J, Raghavan R "Urinary Magnesium in the Evaluation of Hypomagnesemia." J Am Associ Med. 2020 October 30; :
- American Society of Nephrology
- Texas Medical Society
- American College of Physicians
- Member (11/2020)
Log In to edit your profile