BCM announces eighth annual Michael E. DeBakey medical student poetry competition
The annual Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Award honors the pre-eminent cardiovascular surgeon, pioneering medical scientist, gifted medical educator, prolific author and scholar, and passionate advocate of optimal health care throughout the world. Dr. Michael E. DeBakey long advocated a role for the humanities in medical education and in the development of a full, enriching intellectual life.
Submission of original poetry by undergraduates currently enrolled in accredited United States medical schools is welcome.
- Only original poetry by undergraduates currently enrolled in accredited U.S. medical schools is eligible.
- By a copy of the student photograph I.D. card, entrants must document enrollment in an accredited American medical school in pursuit of the M.D. degree.
- Each medical student may submit only one poem, not to exceed two pages.
- Entries must be postmarked no later than Dec. 31, 2010.
- Poems may be of any general or specific theme.
Poems must be:
- Original, not published or under consideration for publication, and not having previously received a poetry award.
- Limited to two pages, double-spaced.
- In English; no translations from other languages.
- Printed on 8.5 x 11-inch bond paper.
- Accompanied by a cover page with the following information:
- Poet's name.
- Current mailing and e-mailing addresses, telephone, and fax numbers if available.
- Copy of photographed student I.D. card documenting medical school enrollment.
- Submitted in five hard (print) copies, as well as one compact disk (CD) in Microsoft (not DVD or floppy diskette).
Entries will not be acknowledged. All winning poems become the property of the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Award program.
A distinguished panel of qualified judges will assess the poems. Winners will be announced on July 1, 2011.
- The first prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $1,000.
- The second prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $500.
- The third prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $250.
The first-prize poem will be submitted to a major medical periodical for consideration for publication.
Submissions should be sent to:
F. Charles Brunicardi, M.D., F.A.C.S.
DeBakey/Bard Professor and Chairman
Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Award
Baylor College of Medicine
1709 Dryden, Suite 1500
Houston, Texas 77030
The winners of the Seventh Annual Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards were:
- First place cash prize of $1,000 – "DNA Damage Pathways," by Danielle Friedman, Emory University School of Medicine
- Second place cash prize of $500 – "Sprouting Things," by Caitlin Cohen, Brown University School of Medicine
- Third place cash prize of $250 – "Sophia's Marriage," by Jenna Le, Columbia University Medical Center
The DeBakey Medical Foundation provides the funds for the cash prizes. The winning poem, "DNA Damage Pathways," will be submitted to a major medical periodical for consideration for publication.