BCM Family NewsLink, Aug. 31, 2012
Please submit items for the weekly BCM Family Newslink to Dana Benson.
Awards and Recognitions
Dr. Margaret "Peggy" Goodell, director of the Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Center at BCM, has been named the American Society of Hematology's 2012 William Dameshek Prize winner. The annual honor recognizes an investigator who has made outstanding contributions to hematology research. See the press release announcing the award.
The You FIRST program is being expanded throughout the college to recognize and reward BCM employees. A series of events will be held Sept. 18-24 to introduce the program. Door prizes will be up for grabs at the events, but you must register by Sept. 12 to be eligible to win.
All upcoming events are from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- "Lights, Camera, Action" – Tuesday, Sept. 18, Greenway Plaza, Room 822
- "Magical Madness" – Wednesday, Sept. 19, McGovern Campus, OS100, OS186, OS188
- "It's Game Day" – Thursday, Sept. 20, Baylor Clinic, 11D.02, and Jamail Specialty Care Center, E4.125
- "Flashback Friday" – Friday, Sept. 21, Main Baylor, Rayzor Lounge
- "Fun in the Sun" – Monday, Sept. 24, Feigin Center, first floor conference room
Register and find out more about the program on the You FIRST website.
Dr. Thomas Cole, McGovern Chair in Medical Humanities and director of the McGovern Center for Humanities and Ethics at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, will speak on "The History of the Doctor-Patient Relationship" Sept. 5 from noon to 1 p.m. at MD Anderson Cancer Center's Onstead Auditorium. The talk is part of the Houston History of Medicine Society lecture series, which is sponsored in part by BCM.
The Center for Balance Disorders in the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery now offers counseling for coping with severe tinnitus and chronic vertigo. Melody Fregia, a licensed professional counselor, is available to help patients cope with the anxiety and depressive symptoms that can accompany severe, intrusive tinnitus, chronic vertigo and other balance disorders. To make an appointment, call 713-798-6336.
Open Enrollment will be here before you know it. To ensure you receive your 2013 Open Enrollment materials, you will need to review the following information and take action by Sept. 14, 2012:
- Review and update your home address by logging on to ESS and selecting the “address” section. Refer to the Quick Reference Guide for step-by-step instructions to update your address, if needed.
- Update your ECA password at Password Self Service if it has not been updated within the last 180 days or if you have difficulty logging into ESS. For technical assistance with your password maintenance, contact the IT Helpdesk at (713) 798-8737.
Contact HR-Benefits at 713-798-1500 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need assistance.
The new juice bar at Luby’s cafeteria at main Baylor makes it easy to get the health benefits of fresh fruit and vegetables any time of day. A variety of produce is available – just make your picks and enjoy. Visit the Luby's website to see a video about the new juice bar.
Faculty in the News
BCM faculty members are regularly featured or cited in news and media outlets. Check out this week's faculty in the news.