Since 1999, Baylor College of Medicine has been an active participant of the American Lung Association Asthma Clinical Research Centers Network, with the goal of conducting large asthma clinical trials. Today, the Lung Association announced the formation of the Airways Clinical Research Network and the funding renewal of the center at Baylor, which will be one of 17 centers funded around the nation.
“This is encouraging news as it will provide us with essential core funding to conduct state-of-the-art large clinical trials in airway diseases including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with the aim of improving our treatment approach and outcomes of these diseases,” said Dr. Nicola Hanania, principal investigator of the center at Baylor and associate professor of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine at Baylor.
Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are common airway diseases that have significant public health impact. While there is still no cure for these two diseases, research studies such as those conducted through the network have shed light on novel interventions and addressed several of the unanswered questions.
In addition, the Lung Association announced new research centers added to the network, which include:
- University of California, San Francisco
- University of Washington, Seattle, Wash.
- Temple University Health System, Lung Center, Philadelphia, Pa.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
In addition to Baylor, continuing and expanded research centers include:
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
- University of California, San Diego
- National Jewish Health, Denver, Colo., and Mt. Sinai Icahn School of Medicine New York, N.Y.
- Nemours Children’s Health System, Jacksonville and Orlando, Fla.
- Illinois Consortium: Northwestern University, Rush University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
- New York Consortium: Columbia University, New York University Medical Center, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, N.Y.
- Washington University at St. Louis, St. Louis, Mo.
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
- St. Vincent Hospital and Health Care Center, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.
- University of South Florida, Tampa, Fla.
- University of Vermont and State Agricultural College, Vermont Lung Center, Colchester, Vt.