International work by Baylor College of Medicine faculty members will be the focus of this year’s Annual Globalization Forum, along with a special guest lecture by Dr. George Atkinson, founder and executive director of the Institute on Science for Global Policy.
The Annual Globalization Forum, hosted by the Center for Globalization at BCM, will be held in BCM’s Cullen Auditorium April 29, beginning at 2 p.m.
Atkinson, who is also the former science and technology advisor to U.S. Secretaries of State Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, will speak on the issue of science and policy.
Following opening remarks by Dr. Bobby Kapur, director of the Center for Globalization at BCM, faculty members who have received Pilot Project Grants through the Center will present summaries of their work, including:
- Dr. Maame Aba Coleman, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at BCM - One Woman Screened, One Life Saved: Towards cervical cancer prevention in Malawi
- Dr. John Kelly, instructor of medicine at BCM - Cell phone-based case management tools to enhance the impact of integrating community-based HIV care into primary care in Sierra Leone
- Dr. Hoonmo Koo, assistant professor of medicine at BCM - Determinants of susceptibility to the norovirus in developing Latin American nations
- Dr. Alina Saldarriaga, assistant professor of pediatrics – Helping Babies Breathe, a pilot program designed to teach neonatal resuscitation techniques in resource-limited settings
- Dr. Hardeep Singh, assistant professor of medicine at BCM – Using electronic health records safely and effectively to facilitate health care reform in India
Closing remarks will be given by BCM President and CEO Dr. Paul Klotman.