Baylor College of Medicine announces the Eleventh Annual Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards.
This annual contest honors the legendary, pre-eminent cardiovascular surgeon, pioneering medical scientist, gifted medical educator, prolific author and scholar, and passionate advocate of optimal healthcare throughout the world. Dr. Michael E. DeBakey has long advocated a role for the humanities in medical education and in the development of a full, enriching intellectual life.
- Only original poetry on a medical subject and by undergraduates currently enrolled in accredited United States medical schools is eligible.
- By a copy of the student photograph I.D. card, entrants must document enrollment in an accredited American medical school in pursuit of the M.D. degree.
- Each medical student may submit only one poem, not to exceed 2 pages.
- Entries must be postmarked no later than Dec. 31, 2013.
- Poems must be on a medical subject.
- Entries will not be acknowledged.
- Submitted in five hard (print) copies, as well as one compact disk(CD) in Microsoft Word (not DVD or floppy diskette).
Poems must be:
- Original, not published or under consideration for publication, and not having previously received a poetry award.
- Limited to 2 pages, double-spaced.
- In English; no translations from other languages.
- Printed on 8.5 x 11 inch bond paper.
- Accompanied by a cover page.
The cover page must contain the following information:
- Poet’s name
- Current mailing and e-mailing addresses, telephone, and fax numbers if available
- Copy of photographed student I.D. card documenting medical school enrollment
A distinguished panel of qualified judges will assess the poems.
Winners will be announced in July 2014.
The first prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $1,000.00. The second prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $500.00. The third prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $250.00.
The first-prize poem will become the property of the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards program and will be submitted to a major medical periodical for consideration for publication. If it is accepted for publication, the publisher will own copyright.
Submissions should be sent to:
Dr. David H. Berger
Chairman, Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards Professor and Vice-Chairman, Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
Attention: Holly Shilstone
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, 404D
Mail Stop 390
Houston, Texas 77030