For the 16th year, Baylor College of Medicine is pleased to announce the annual Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards.
This annual contest honors the legendary, preeminent cardiovascular surgeon, pioneering medical scientist, gifted medical educator, prolific author and scholar, and passionate advocate of optimal healthcare throughout the world. Dr. Michael E. DeBakey strongly advocated a role for the humanities in medical education and in the development of a full, enriching intellectual life.
1. Entrant must be a medical student currently pursuing a medical doctor (M.D.) degree in an accredited United States medical school.
2. Poems must be written in English (no translations from other languages), on a medical topic, no more than 50 lines, and original.
3. The submitted poem must never have been published (that is, sold to the public or transferred to another entity for sale to the public), must never have been posted on the internet for unrestricted public viewing either in written form or video, must not be under consideration for publication and must never have been awarded recognition in another writing contest. (Following submission, please do not submit the poem for public display or publication until after the award winners have been announced. Publication of your poem may result in disqualification from the award.)
4. Each medical student may submit only one poem. Your submission must be mailed and emailed with the following components:
a. One cover page that includes your name, current mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number.
b. One photocopy of a current student I.D. card documenting medical school enrollment. (If a medical school student ID is not available, either a letter of good standing from the medical school, a current class or clinical rotation schedule dated within the past six months or a tuition bill or statement dated within the past six months is acceptable).
c. Four hard (print) copies on 8.5 x 11 inch bond paper. Do not staple any of the pages.
d. Font size must be at least 10 points.
e. Limited to two 8.5 x 11 inch pages and the aforementioned 50 lines.
f. Paragraphs should be single-spaced, and one line should be left between stanzas.
g. Put your name in the upper right header of all pages (last name followed by first name, separated by a comma). If two pages in length, please add page numbers after your name.
h. In addition, please email your cover sheet, student I.D. card photocopy and electronic version of your poem (in Microsoft Word format) to Christine Cummings at Christine.Cummings@bcm.edu.
5. Entries must be postmarked no later than Jan. 31, 2019. We will not be able to confirm receipt of your submission.
6. A distinguished panel of qualified judges will assess the poems.
7. Winners will be announced in July 2019 online.
8. The first-prize poem will become the property of the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards program and will be submitted to a major medical periodical for consideration for publication. If it is accepted for publication, the publisher will own copyright.
9. Recognition and cash awards of the following amounts will be awarded to the three poems receiving the highest scores from the panel of judges:
•$1,000 for first prize
•$500 for second prize
•$250 for third prize
Envelopes for submissions should be marked “For the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards Program” and sent to:
Neal R. Barshes, M.D., M.P.H.
Chairman, Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards
Associate Professor of Surgery
Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, TX 77030
Please contact Dipali Pathak at 713-798-4710 or email@example.com if you have questions.